Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Capsule + LInksys to get g & n?

Time Capsule + LInksys to get g & n?
Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2008, 03:48 AM

I've got a Time Capsule set up using 802.11n as the WiFi protocol.

Of course, that means I can't use my iPhone on the WiFi since it doesn't do n. But I don't want to do the g/n hybrid thing since all of our laptops are n and my understanding is that running a g device on a n capable network slows the whole thing down.

Assuming that's correct, my next thought was to hook my old Linksys g router to the Time Capsule via Ethernet and then have it set up a separate g network for the iPhones.

Would that work? How would I need to configure the Linksys to connect to the Time Capsule via ethernet?
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2008, 08:42 AM

Yes, it would work just fine. You'd set up the Linksys box with a completely different network name (you can have the Time Capsule use something like "MyNet" and the Linksys use "MyOtherNet", but they have to be different), and put it on a different channel—better yet, set up the TC to run exclusively in the 5GHz band. Now, do you want any G devices to be able to see any N devices? If so, then you'll need to turn off the Linksys router's DHCP server. You'll also want to turn off its NAT function. Both of these are in the router's browser setup, but the locations for these controls depend on which version of hardware and firmware you are running currently.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ide3308
Jul 12, 2008, 11:22 AM

Also, if that doesn't work, what I had to do over here (connecting the Extreme [N] and Netgear [G]) is use a LAN port on the Linksys instead of the WAN port to connect to the TC, otherwise it might be VERY difficult to configure and keep on the same subnet as the TC. Good luck!

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2008, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the tips!

I'll give a try and report back.
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

Sinemacula  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2008, 04:50 PM

It turns out I had given away the LinkSys I thought I had sitting in my closet. It also turns out that I forgot that between the LinkSys and the TimeCapsule, I'd purchased an Airport Extreme! So, that's what I'm using for this...

And it was a piece of cake. Connected the AE to the TC via ethernet (into the WAN port of the AE), then connected my laptop directly to the AE via Ethernet and set it up to "Bridge" from the TC, set the wireless with WPA/WPA2 security, the TC is set at "n only" on the 5GHz band.

It all seems to be working perfectly - now I've got 802.11n access to the TC from my laptops, and 802.11g access via the AE for my iPhone (and it turns out, my wife's about to buy an iPhone too - so I got this done just in time!)

Thanks for your suggestions!

Scott
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules