Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Brand new PM G5 won't start in the morning.

Brand new PM G5 won't start in the morning.
Hans M Aus
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 12:02 PM

Power Mac G5, dual, 2.5 GB Apple installed memory, Tiger.
Purchased at the Apple store on Monday.

In the morning, the G5 won't boot and the screen remains blank.
G5 starts after I disconnect and reconnect the power plug.

During the day, we can shutdown the G5 and reboot without any problems.
Apple support had me reset the PM and PRAM.
The Mac Mini on the same power line and internet boot without anz problems.

Anyone seen this?
Cheers, Hans M. Aus, Würzburg,

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 12:30 PM

What are the Energy Saver prefs? Do you have some odd schedule set up?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Hans M Aus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
What are the Energy Saver prefs? Do you have some odd schedule set up?
Just the standard default settings: Display and computer sleep after 10 min; all four options; nothing scheduled.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 4, 2005, 06:09 PM

It's entirely possible that the power is "dirty" at some hours, for example caused by a factory.

Try using a UPS to filter the power.

tooki

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 07:38 AM

I've had problems with my G4 where, after a power failure or interruption, it does NOT power up. The power button lights when I push it, but the machine won't come on. To fix it, I have to push the CUDA button on the mobo. Then all is well.

Are you referring to this problem or that it won't wake from sleep?

With regards to dirty power, my pinball machine will wake up my G4 occasionally.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Hans M Aus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
I've had problems with my G4 where, after a power failure or interruption, it does NOT power up. The power button lights when I push it, but the machine won't come on. To fix it, I have to push the CUDA button on the mobo. Then all is well.

Are you referring to this problem or that it won't wake from sleep?

With regards to dirty power, my pinball machine will wake up my G4 occasionally.
What is the CUDA button on the G5? Is that the same as pressing the G5 power button for 5-10 seconds until the G5 turns off?

When the G5 is off and we push the power button in the morning the G5 won't come on, but the button lights. (It's not wake from sleep.) We left the G5 turned off for 3 hours yesterday after which the G5 started.

Yesterday, Apple support had us push the PMU button inside the G5, followed by the PRAM reset at startup. The G5 was shutdown last night.

This morning the G5 had turned itself on and had synced the iPod.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 11:11 AM

"This morning the G5 had turned itself on and had synced the iPod."

So last night you shutdown your g5 and this morning it had switched itself on and synced the ipod. Did it switch itself off afterwards?

It definately sounds like you have somthing set in Energy Saver prefs. In Energy Saver Preferences, click the schedule button at the bottom, and check that the tick boxes are de-selected in the window.

If it is not the energy saver settings then it sounds like you have a power problem. Try plugging the G5 in into the power somewhere else. Could it be a very small jump in current is causing it to come on? e.g a fridge? A UPS may solve things, or even a surge protected socket strip.

Try disconnecting every peripheral except Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse, and then see what happens. If it seems to be a regular pattern, then it must be triggered by something at that time of the day like the ipod syncing, it could be a faulty power supply but that doesn't explain why it works fine at other times.

Sean

bovie
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 01:05 PM

Take off both side panels. The fans will go to maximum and it might turn on. We had a problem with out Dual 2.5Ghz G5. It would reboot fine but getting it to shutdown and boot was a bi***.
Our local apple reseller replaced the processor module under apple care for free and now it works great.
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules