Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > hiding dupe applications in contextual menu

hiding dupe applications in contextual menu
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2012, 01:08 AM

I have two hard disks in my macbook, a main one with os x lion and a secondary disk with snow leopard. This is a setup I'd liked to keep for now. But when I'm mainly using the Lion disk, how can I prevent the os from opening up files in the snow leopard duplicate applications and also hide these from the right click contextual "open with.." menus?

I thought about zipping up the whole snow leopard apps folder but thats kind of a hassle to undo if I want to boot in to snow leopard and use it in a hurry.

?
ππ>_<ππ

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2012, 02:46 PM

Why would the OS open files using apps on another partition, with an older version of the OS? I probably don't understand your problem, Would you mind clarifying?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 11, 2012, 05:30 PM

In the Open With context menus, OSX tends to show all versions of an app that can open a file. Especially from different mounted volumes. Sometimes (but not always) OSX will add the major version numbers beside the dup apps.

It would be useful to flag the copy from the boot volume, or hide earlier copies.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2012, 05:35 PM

What if you just unmount the unused OS X volume ?

Yes, you'd have to do it every time you restart, but it should fix it.

-t

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2012, 07:51 PM

Rather than zipping the apps you don't want to see, you could move them to a disk image file. Much less hassle. I'm in the same situation as you are, but since "Open with…" shows version numbers I don't find it enough of a PITA to bother with.

There may be a way of telling the OS not to show certain apps in the menu, but again it may be more of a pain to work with.

jmiddel: users with more than one copy of an App, in either a different location or partition, can still run those apps. So if (for example) I have two copies of GraphicConvertor (v2.x and 3.x) and I right click on a suitable document, the "Open with…" menu will show both and allow me to select which to use.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2012, 01:42 AM

Dimmer, thank you for the clarification. I suppose I was thinking this a non-issue, since when you open a file it will open up with last used version of the app, unless you purposely right click and chose a different version.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2012, 02:07 AM

The last used version of the app has nothing to do with it. Case in point: On my mother's MBP I always use LibreOffice to edit ODT documents. But if I make the mistake of just double clicking them they open in an old version of NeoOffice from some dark corner of the drive. I've even repeatedly chosen LibreOffice in the Open With Other Application dialog box and have clicked to make this change for all files of the ODT type, but it never sticks: NeoOffice is still the default.

LaunchServices can be weird. I wish Apple would provide a utility to tweak it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Mar 12, 2012, 05:43 AM

You can also open something by dragging it onto an icon on the desktop or the Dock. If it is only a small number of apps you open in, put them permanently in the Dock and start dragging files to those icons.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2012, 11:23 AM

thanks for all the responses. Sorry to hear there isn't an easy way to clean up the contextual menus, but no worries I'll survive. To the last poster, I sometimes open file types in many different applications, I don't really have the space on my dock, but more to the point, I hate dragging files IMO its slow and inefficient. I'm a keyboard junkie and I hate it that with each iteration mac os seems to have less and less keyboard functionality. Except cut-paste in Lion (finally!).
ππ>_<ππ

Forum Links
Forum Rules