Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Thieves steal $1.5 million in iPad minis from JFK airport

Thieves steal $1.5 million in iPad minis from JFK airport
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 15, 2012, 07:19 AM

Two thieves stole $1.5 million in iPad minis from New York City's JFK airport earlier this week, according to the New York Post. The people reportedly made the heist shortly before midnight on Monday, using one of JFK's own forklifts to load two pallets of Minis into a truck. More tablets might've been taken had an airport worker returning from dinner not confronted the robbers; three more pallets were left behind.

The culprits in the case are still at large. Police sources claim that investigators suspect an inside job, however, and have been interrogating airport workers. Three people have allegedly been given polygraph tests. The reason for the suspicion is said to stem from the thieves pulling up to Building 261 in a white tractor trailer. While the nearby entrance faces onto a street and has less security than other ways into the airport, it's thought that someone let them in and out of airport grounds. About 3,600 Minis were stolen. The hardware had apparently just arrived from China, and was intended to be distributed around the US. The product is expected to hit retail stores tomorrow, though some people are already receiving online orders.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2012, 07:44 AM

Score.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2012, 09:23 AM

Totally a white collar crime. Not the the typical smash the window and drive-in type.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2012, 11:35 AM

Three words: "Find my iPad."

Apple can use Find my iPad to set all 3,600 stolen iPad minis into "Lost Mode." They can set the passcode to whatever they want, remotely, effectively bricking all the stolen minis shortly after they're activated. Kinda glad I didn't pre-order. Good luck to everyone who did. (Don't worry - Apple, the shipper, the airport, and everyone involved is insured. Except the thieves and any suckers who end up buying the stolen goods.)

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2012, 11:49 AM

Everyone whose iPad mini was stolen: don't worry. I ordered a MacBook Pro from Apple's online store a few years ago. It was stolen off the truck when it was out for delivery, Apple sent me a replacement, and all I lost was a few days of use. Apple actually apologized and sent me a free Brenthaven bag for my MBP to make up for it, even though it wasn't their fault. (But I did have to call them to complain first.)

beb
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2012, 03:42 PM

Still doesn't beat the Lufthansa heist of '78

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2012, 04:21 PM

It's sad to see the people entrusted with managing such expensive cargo don't really care about keeping their jobs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules