Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Alternative To The Apple LED Cinema Display 27"

Alternative To The Apple LED Cinema Display 27"
Anto39x
May 16, 2018, 06:56 AM

Hi all.... I recently started having intermittent problems with my Apple LED Cinema Display 27" (NOT THUNDERBOLD VERSION). It keeps going off on me... just black and blank, sometimes it comes back on within a few seconds, other times it takes longer or not at all and I need to unplug from the mini DV input and plugin to the other... and then it would come back on, but all my windows would be moved as resolution would need to change... just very annoying behaviour.

I purchased it from brand new, only about 3-4 years ago from an Authorised Apple Store, but not that it's out of warranty and Apple no longer make standalone monitors (due to return to this business for the MacPro refresh in 2019) I'm left with a real struggle trying to find a replacement monitor that delivers a similar resolution and is 100% compatible with my video card (ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB).

Has anyone ever bought a new, replacement monitor that just plugs and plays without issue. I spoke with DELL but they say talk to APPLE, I talk to APPLE and they cannot recommend an alternative compatible monitor even though I have been a loyal customer of theirs now for 30 years.

I'm holding off for the new MacPro before I decide what new system to purchase, so I don't want to be pushed into buying a new iMac Pro all for the sake of having a reliable screen... but if my screen fails I need to get a replacement quickly that I know from other Apple users will work without issue.

Any help or advice would be very welcome indeed on this issue.

Regards,
Anthony

reader50
Administrator
May 16, 2018, 12:17 PM

Have you asked an authorized apple repair store about fixing it? It sounds like a power supply issue. Since you bought it less than five years ago, parts will still be available.

Anto39x  (op)
May 16, 2018, 12:25 PM

I did.... they just said they wouldn't even try and touch it.... I live in Ireland... not many Apple Repair stores.... they all want easy stuff to do... fix a iPhone home button or cracked screen.... or sell you a brand new system...

I think I have found a DELL alternative that will tide me over until I busy my new iMac Pro or MacPro system....

Dell UltraSharp 27 PremierColor Monitor | UP2716D

Thanks for you reply and input. Very much appreciated.

OreoCookie
May 16, 2018, 08:38 PM

Oh, that's a tricky one. I recently tried a brand new, top notch Eizo display as a replacement for my Apple Cinema Display. No chance. What I was missing was (1) the FaceTime camera and (2) auto brightness. When you are used to it, you forgot how nice Apple stuff is.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
May 17, 2018, 02:02 AM

Any DisplayPort monitor will work as long as its max resolution is less than or equal to the max that your computer can support - just get a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable if you don’t already have one and here isn’t one in the box. As Oreo says though, it will likely be a barebones display without niceties like a webcam.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules