Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X licence

OS X licence
slick70+
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 04:34 PM

Can someone tell me whether I'm allowed to install my copy of Tiger on an external hdd & boot from that? I mean, is it legal? Do I have to uninstall the original?

What happens when I buy Leopard. Do I need a separate copy for my mini and my ibook or can I use it for both?

Sorry, I have no idea how Apple's licensing works....

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 04:36 PM

You can boot from an external HD, but it is one copy = one machine, unless you have a household license.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 04:49 PM

Apple doesn't do any dippy Product Activation, at least not yet. But one retail copy should be running on only one computer at a time. If you violate this, Steve Jobs will wag his finger at you through the Internet!

Apple's "Family Pack" is a very good deal, and I've bought it ever since our household gained multiple Macs. Single retail copies of Apple OS's tend to go for $129, while the Family 5-pack (meant for only computers in the same household) is $199. It's like getting the second license for half price, and the rest (up to five) free...

You get the pleasure of knowing your software is legal, and Apple makes an extra $70 by simply putting a license addendum sheet in the box (Seriously, that and the sticker on the box is the only difference between the single retail copy and the Family Pack!)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 04:51 PM

Yes, Apple is very reasonable about trusting users not to abuse this, and, in my experience, users don't abuse it a whole lot, not wanting to end up in the Windows situation where it's a major PITA to activate etc, and you are treated as a criminal each time you boot.
Do the right thing, it's better in the long run!

Forum Links
Forum Rules