Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > apple tv new for 08?

apple tv new for 08?
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2007, 09:44 PM

http://macosrumors.com/

Rumors has confirmed that a new, larger AppleTV flagship model will be added to the lineup along with two enhanced versions of the existing AppleTV devices -- all sporting larger hard drives. The new "AppleTV Unity" as it is sometimes referred to at Infinite Loop, will include a faster Intel CPU, enhanced media decoding DSP chipset, more RAM, an optical drive and numerous other improvements over the "standard" models. Details to follow: including hot dirt on whether the new AppleTV Optical Drive will support HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, or both (?!).....stay tuned!

Apple has reported its best second-best quarterly financial results in the company's history on very strong sales of Macs, iPhones and other iDevices.

If the AppleTV's lack of an optical drive has been an issue for you, look no further than a soon to be announced update to the popular iDevice for that very issue to be addressed. Also, the entry-level model will be dropped to $249 with a 60GB or maybe even 80GB HDD (depending on market conditions about six or seven weeks from now), and two other models at $299 and $399 sporting 120-160 and 200-250GB drives respectively. The optical drive may not be available on all models, another vagary of our most recent source reports on the subject. More on the AppleTV 2.0 and its across-the-board hardware/software upgrades soon.

We have the privilege of being able to exclusively report on information provided to Mac OS Rumors by one of our oldest and most reliable sources in Cupertino: the Mac Mini is dead.....Long Live the Mac Nano!

The exact naming and marketing details are not as firm in our sources' estimation, since he's not an Apple Marketroid(TM)....but the new Mini will be as small in the horizontal as an internal optical drive will allow, and a little over 2/3 the height. Overall volume will be shrunk almost 25%, weight by about 20% and an all-new enclosure will be strikingly different from the design that has been the Mini's defining feature since its introduction.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2007, 09:45 PM

I am getting a new car and Figure apple tv is far better than mac mini maybe? Or mac mini is a better option?
I mainly want it for movies and music but if I can surf the net maybe something to consider but I really have the iphone for that you know.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2007, 02:47 PM

Macosrumors = make sh!t up. I wouldn't trust 'em with my dog's doodoo.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2007, 10:35 PM

Any one else?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
Any one else?
Macosrumors = make sh!t up.

I mean, I've no doubt that the tv will be replaced by an updated model, and probably sometime in 2008. But if MOSR gets any details right, it's either from luck or obviousness.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2007, 12:02 AM

This makes me wonder if they'll combine the Apple TV and the mini? Just useless wondering I guess.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 02:30 AM

Bigger hard drives, faster CPUs, etc. is fine but I want an AppleTV with DVR capabilities.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

JohnPlantada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Bigger hard drives, faster CPUs, etc. is fine but I want an AppleTV with DVR capabilities.
I would buy one in a heartbeat if they added DVR
Not everything that matters can be measured, and not everything that can be measured matters.
--- Albert Einstein

http://web.mac.com/johnplantada

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2007, 11:45 PM

that'd be nice, but they'd have to add a digital cable decoder at the very least (not to mention analogue and DISH/DTV), and have dual-channel recording to be anywhere competitive with TiVO.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
This makes me wonder if they'll combine the Apple TV and the mini? Just useless wondering I guess.
Thats what I've been wondering, the rumors of the mini being killed off and the TV not selling well, it only makes sense.

It would be a good Apple media center PC.
Signature depreciated.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2007, 12:59 AM

Yeah, I only came up with that idea as I was writing that last post, but it actually makes some sense and it would simplify Apple's product line, which I know they like to do.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 05:17 AM

I just want the USB port to allow addition of USB HD's for syncing. Laptop HD's are small. They can only go up to a fraction of a normal HD. Apple, make like TiVo and let us expand ourselves. (Without hacks.)

ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 27, 2007, 06:43 PM

please, please, please let them add multi-channel audio. 2 channel stereo is a joke if you want to watch a movie.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 11:50 AM

Maybe the next gen will be a little safer for plasmas screens. The reason I say this is because I used to owen an AppleTV and sometimes it wouldn't go to the screen saver and it would freeze up a lot. I would leave the room and come back a while later to find that it was still on the home screen.. i would flip to a hdmi/component channel and there would be the outline of the menu.. So i would have to put in a movie with a bunch of movement and action for the burn-in to go away.

My other beef with the AppleTV is the freakin' heat! They need a way to where you can completely power it off(without having to unplug) and not just put it to sleep. That thing used to heat my entire room up.. even when my plasma was off!

ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 29, 2007, 05:42 PM

the heat is pretty damn bad. considering apple wants to be more green and all... they really should power the damn thing off as well as give it a deep hibernate after x minutes of non-use.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Nov 30, 2007, 01:14 AM

Yes I agree that the heat is pretty damn bad .

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 02:06 AM

No, the heat is good. Otherwise I have to take my coffee into the kitchen to warm it up.

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
please, please, please let them add multi-channel audio. 2 channel stereo is a joke if you want to watch a movie.
The ATV already does 5-channel surround (Dolby Pro Logic II). You just need to rip your 5.1 DD or 5-channel DPLII DVDs into DPLII using Handbrake 0.9.1. Connect the ATV to a DPLII-capable receiver (Toslink is best, but RCA cables will work, too) and you've got 5-channel surround. It's not as good as 5.1, but it's a lot better than stereo.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
No, the heat is good. Otherwise I have to take my coffee into the kitchen to warm it up.
I prefer to fry my eggs and pancakes on it. It's a lot more convenient than pulling out the griddle and pan.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
The ATV already does 5-channel surround (Dolby Pro Logic II). You just need to rip your 5.1 DD or 5-channel DPLII DVDs into DPLII using Handbrake 0.9.1. Connect the ATV to a DPLII-capable receiver (Toslink is best, but RCA cables will work, too) and you've got 5-channel surround. It's not as good as 5.1, but it's a lot better than stereo.
That's just old fashioned surround sound (matrixed). Its nearly 2008 - it should be able to do discrete Dolby/DTS 5.1. Its the one thing stopping me from enjoying my AppleTV more.

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
That's just old fashioned surround sound (matrixed).
I'm not disputing that, but the poster said it only did stereo - and that's not true. It does surround sound right now, today; both DPL and DPLII. And DPLII does sound substantially better than stereo.

Its nearly 2008 - it should be able to do discrete Dolby/DTS 5.1. Its the one thing stopping me from enjoying my AppleTV more.
I don't dispute this either, but a lot of things have to happen before we'll see it. Here are just some of the obstacles:

1. It will have to be DD or DTS since there are no consumer receivers/amps that can decode anything else (e.g., AAC 6-channel).

2. Apple will have to license one of these two technologies from Dolby Labs or DTS to encode them with video downloads from iTMS. That will add to the cost in all likelihood.

3. DD or DTS audio will substantially increase file size - probably 25% or more.

4. Apple will have to make Back Row (through its QT surrogate) passthrough the DD or DTS signal through the ATV's optical port to the receiver. Not difficult to do, one would think, since VLC and DVD Player both do it. For some reason, Apple has decided not to do this for Quicktime. It would also exceed the 4 gig file size limit of the ATV, something we all hope Apple can rectify with a software update.

5. If you combine 720HD video with DD or DTS audio, you're talking about 2 hour movies that will be 4 to 6 gigs in size; something that would not be good for purchase from the iTMS.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2007, 05:23 PM

I love my AppleTV just the way it is now, though I don't begrudge anyone any updates. I think the really problem with it is that Apple can't tout its best use: piping BitTorrented shows to your big ass TV. If the iTunes Store could offer a better quality of video, that would help, too.

As it is now, I'm just waiting for Christmas, so I can BT the Doctor Who Xmas special . . .

ph0ust
Senior User
Dec 3, 2007, 03:06 PM

while dpl makes a good attempt at turning 2 channel into surround, i personally don't consider that a legitimate attempt at the apple tv satisfying my request. not even close. dpl is designed for pcm signals or old media to sound a little bit better. it was not created for a brand new, "cutting edge" media player to play current media. that is an absurd compromise in my opinion.

yes, it will add to the cost to get dd or dts, but there are a slew of home entertainment products that support such technology that cost around $150.

other than that and the heat.... i really like my atv.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 05:37 PM

Hardware is not the problem with ATV. It is 90% software that is the prob.

It doesn't support common codecs without hacks, no PVR and it is a nightmare to find a song you want to play scrolling though 5000 songs with that remote and interface.

Many people I know that wanted one ended up getting an XBox or PS3 and it does the same and more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules