Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What to do when GUI freezes (yet other processes still run)

What to do when GUI freezes (yet other processes still run) (Page 2)
Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2005, 04:28 PM

The best thing to do is to SSH into the Mac from another computer and kill the frozen processes. Often this will work even when using the terminal will not. For example, if the dock freezes up there is no way to GET to the terminal....even if it was already running.

Linux has a thing called "virtual consoles" which I wish existed in OSX. Push a function key and get a console. This is the functional equivalent of SSH to the Mac without the need for a second computer.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2005, 06:13 PM

SSH is cool. IF you are on a network with another Mac available. And IF you know how to do SSH in the first place.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2005, 12:34 PM

Well I FINALLY figured out what was happening with my machine. I had noticed that my system was "freezing" only at work. No problems at all when I was at home. I also previously mentioned that when it happened it appeared that the networking functionality was having issues. Couldn't load anything in Safari ... Entourage wouldn't retrieve or send emails, etc. I couldn't launch any new programs ... they would just bounce in the dock and eventually stop ... but not display the window.

Well when this happened again today, something told me to unplug my ethernet cable for a few seconds and then plug it back in since the problem seemed network related. Besides, I was getting tired of rebooting my laptop whenever this happened. Well lo and behold, my system re-established network connectivity as expected and all returned to normal. Safari and Entourage started responding again. The application I had tried to launch after the problem started (Activity Monitor) displayed the UI. Everything was good to go. I talked to some co-workers about this and they had indicated that they were experiencing various network "hiccups" as well on their Dell laptops. But I don't think it was causing the same sort of issues as it did for me.

Anyone know why a network "hiccup" would cause network related apps to freeze in OS X? Why would that prevent the launching of other applications until the network connectivity was re-established? I have an easy enough work around now, but I was just wondering why OS X doesn't handle network flakiness better than this?

OAW

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
Well I FINALLY figured out what was happening with my machine. I had noticed that my system was "freezing" only at work. No problems at all when I was at home. I also previously mentioned that when it happened it appeared that the networking functionality was having issues. Couldn't load anything in Safari ... Entourage wouldn't retrieve or send emails, etc. I couldn't launch any new programs ... they would just bounce in the dock and eventually stop ... but not display the window.

Well when this happened again today, something told me to unplug my ethernet cable for a few seconds and then plug it back in since the problem seemed network related. Besides, I was getting tired of rebooting my laptop whenever this happened. Well lo and behold, my system re-established network connectivity as expected and all returned to normal. Safari and Entourage started responding again. The application I had tried to launch after the problem started (Activity Monitor) displayed the UI. Everything was good to go. I talked to some co-workers about this and they had indicated that they were experiencing various network "hiccups" as well on their Dell laptops. But I don't think it was causing the same sort of issues as it did for me.

Anyone know why a network "hiccup" would cause network related apps to freeze in OS X? Why would that prevent the launching of other applications until the network connectivity was re-established? I have an easy enough work around now, but I was just wondering why OS X doesn't handle network flakiness better than this?

OAW

I have notice the exact same thing. OS X just does not handle network problems well. Never has. Anybody have an answer?
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2005, 02:52 PM

Yeah, bitch at Apple.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 03:17 PM

I've been having the same Safari/GUI "freeze" with my Dual G5 over the past week or so. During the hangs, I can switch between apps, etc. but can't access the Apple menu or Safari and end up having to restart.

What I've been doing recently to avoid this problem is disconnect the network connection, then reconnect it. Kind of figured it out by accident as well. Since doing this I've had no more Safari/GUI hangs that force a restart. Whenever Safari seems to hang, I select "Turn of Airport" in the menu, then immediately "Turn Airport On." Safari is back to normal and no further issues!

Strange bug - I too would like to know what exactly is causing it. I'm wondering if network interference can cause this? I live in a large apartment complex with over ten wireless networks nearby (can see them in my Airport menu).

Any other solutions, ideas?

ATPTourFan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2005, 10:44 PM

I agree that OS X loves the internet so much that it freaks out when the connection is lost.

I usually run my system on a manual IP setup off my wifi router, so if the DSL connection goes bad, the manual IP makes the system think it's still online and things can get weird.

ATPTourFan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2005, 10:45 PM

Well, I started this whole thing...

So yeah, other than SSH which would be lovely if I had another Mac on my network, what can I do when the GUI freezes??

Forum Links
Forum Rules