Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app -- setting "REPLY FROM" (whom)

Mail.app -- setting "REPLY FROM" (whom)
goatman
Nov 30, 2006, 01:57 AM

I am creating a new email address -- [email protected]. I'm setting mydomain.com to forward all mail to my .Mac mail (for the convenience of accessing mail on my .Mac page). Then I read the email in Mail.app. But when I reply to a message that arrives in Mail.app, it will by default send the reply FROM the .Mac account, cuz that's where it saw it come from. I'd like to have it reply from my [email protected] account but I don't see a way in Mail.app to set a default reply account. And I don't want to have to manually change every reply manually for all eternity.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 02:27 AM

In Mail.app, go to Preferences -> Accounts, then enter [email protected] in the 'Email Adress' field.

I just tested this using my hotmail account through my isp mail server and it works just fine here.

goatman  (op)
Dec 4, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
In Mail.app, go to Preferences -> Accounts, then enter [email protected] in the 'Email Adress' field.

I just tested this using my hotmail account through my isp mail server and it works just fine here.
Thanks very much, Gradient. Heinz, at About.com had also suggested this as per his instructions at http://email.about.com/cs/macosxmail...t/et062402.htm

He had suggested putting both the [email protected] and the .Mac address in the Email field of the .Mac account, separated by a comma. I tried that and it worked. But then I went back and the additional [email protected] wasn't there anymore. When I put it back in and Save the Account setting, Mail.app strips it every time.

I don't get it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 03:49 PM

mail doesn't have a problem saving multiple entries I make in the email field but they don't all show up once I send an email. Seems like only one address at a time works properly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules