Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How Important is Thermal Paste on Heat Sink?

How Important is Thermal Paste on Heat Sink?
Gillfoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2001, 04:11 AM

I have a PowerPC 601 by Daystar, recently I had some work done on it, after fix it worked briefly and on closer examination noticed when I took off the heat dissapation device that the white powder (thermal paste) was almost non-exsistant; - okay, it is about ten years old. Any thoughts?

Cipher13
Dec 24, 2001, 06:22 AM

Firstly, it shouldn't be powder
That age is really showing. It should be a stick white paste.

It isn't absolutely integral, but it is important. It helps conduct the heat away from the processor to the base of the heatsink, but also keeps the processor cool (directly as well as indirectly via assissting the heatsink) through its own properties...

Get some thermal paste and reapply it. You don't *NEED* to, but I'd recommend it. I'm gonna repaste my 5500 (I'm installing a new heatsink in it too), and my G4 (putting a smaller sink + fan so I can cut out the Zip bay frame and fit in a 5.25" drive).

<bozo the clown>
Dec 24, 2001, 08:58 PM

Just get some Artic Silver Compound, and apply. It won't hurt at all.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Dec 25, 2001, 11:58 AM

Or go to Radio Shack and pick up a $4 tube of silicone heatsink compound. It'll do the job as well as whatever was new. The arctic silver stuff is for people who are seriously looking to dissipate as much heat as possible.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Gillfoto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2001, 05:07 PM

Thanks for all your replies, I do get the impression that it would not be the cause of Processor malfunction, thanks again and Merry Xmas from the Scotsman, who lives in Southeast Alaska!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2001, 09:33 PM

On newer machines like my overclocked Athlon, thermal paste makes a world of a difference. With thermal paste smeared on the heatsink and CPU, I can overclock my system to 1,550 megahertz (from 1,400 megahertz). I use the 10.0x clock multiplier and a 155-megahertz bus clock. Without the thermal paste, my Athlon will be stable at the standard bus frequency and a 11.0x clock multiplier (1,466 megahertz).

Forum Links
Forum Rules