Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Well that is f*cking stupid. Team Fortress 2 won't run on my iMac... but it runs AWESOME in bootcamp.

Well that is f*cking stupid. Team Fortress 2 won't run on my iMac... but it runs AWESOME in bootcamp.
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Aug 7, 2012, 03:48 PM

It says my graphics card isn't good enough... yet I'm able to play full res (1920X1200) when I boot into WinXP. What the ****? I get the drivers probably aren't quite as nice in OSX... but not even letting me TRY it?! That's just ****ing retarded.

For the record, I have a 24" White iMac with a 7600GT, which is apparently an MXM card. What are my options? Can I use some sort of flashing software to trick OSX into thinking it's a newer card? Or can I swap out my card for a newer MXM card?

Many thanks!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2012, 09:29 AM

Call Valve.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2012, 12:23 PM

I've never found Mac gaming to be anywhere near as usable as just booting into XP and getting it done that way.

Example: Portal at 1680x1050 HQ in XP 30-40 FPS.... Portal at 1680x1050 HQ in OSX 10-20 FPS

You can't explain that. I know every Mac person hates to hear this, but why not just do your gaming in XP?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 8, 2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You can't explain that.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Aug 8, 2012, 12:30 PM

Simple: My bootcamp partition is 20 gigs. After installing some CAD software, rendering software, and a few other things, I only have about 7 gigs left. I can install TF2, but then I have about 1 gig free. It sucks. I figured if it ran on OSX, it’d be awesome as I have tons of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2012, 01:10 PM

Yeah I ran into space issues on my XP partition as well, sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
but why not just do your gaming in XP?
It's have to stop the game server I'm hosting.

Seriously, complain to Valve and tell them to complain to Apple. Greasy wheel and all that.

P
Aug 8, 2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
It says my graphics card isn't good enough... yet I'm able to play full res (1920X1200) when I boot into WinXP. What the ****? I get the drivers probably aren't quite as nice in OSX... but not even letting me TRY it?! That's just ****ing retarded.
For the record, I have a 24" White iMac with a 7600GT, which is apparently an MXM card. What are my options? Can I use some sort of flashing software to trick OSX into thinking it's a newer card? Or can I swap out my card for a newer MXM card?
Many thanks!
Actually this makes excellent sense from a certain perspective. The nVidia 7x00 generation was the last generation with separate pixel shaders and vertex shaders. From generation 8x00 and on, they all use unified shaders - which means, among other things, that they are easier to program for and you can make fancier effects. What happens in cases like this is that developers make multiple rendering paths depending on the quality of the hardware, and apparently Valve has chosen not to make a rendering path for nVidia cards without unified shaders. What I suspect is going on is that those cards miss support for some OpenGL extension or other, while the Windows version has a fallback all the way down to DirectX 8.1 (which is some seriously old cards).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Aug 22, 2012, 10:56 AM

Well that's ****ing dumb.

https://support.steampowered.com/view.php?ticketref=6938-RSXB-7457

"Cuz it isn't supported". Huh?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules