Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Weird Win7 Problems....

Weird Win7 Problems....
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Sep 27, 2012, 06:45 PM

2 issues:

1. Installed Win7 x64 Ultimate. When I boot, it just hangs at a black screen with a blinking white cursor. Keyboard does nothing. When I boot from the Win7 CD, it actually boot off the Bootcamp partition and Win7 Runs great.

2. When I am running win7, and wake the computer from sleep, the fans spool ALL the way up (louder than I've ever heard them) and windows runs terribly slowly. I checked Task Manager, and all the CPUs are running between 50-60%, but the only thing running is task manager. If I click the start menu, it takes 5+ seconds for it to respond. From what I could gather, it's waking up the computer but keeping the CPUs in ultra low power mode, so they are running like poop. Any ideas?

Mac Pro 1,1 3.0ghzX8, 32 gigs ram, Radeon 5770

P
Sep 28, 2012, 01:08 AM

What version of OS X did you use to make the Bootcamp? Not all of them support Win 7.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2012, 05:26 AM

This happened to me with a 27" iMac, not the Mac Pro 1,1 but only while installing the OS. Thing is the Windows 7 installer didn't include the necessary graphics drivers for the iMac 2009.

Since we are talking about a Mac Pro, have you installed the AMD Catalyst Display Driver from AMD website.?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4. 1.3.42;2.4.1.3.44&lang=us&rev=&ostype= Windows%207%20-%2064-Bit%20Edition

You can also use this freeware to check out if the GPU is running too hot, should that be the issue.
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Oct 1, 2012, 10:05 AM

Yeah, I just went to AMD's website and installed the drivers. I installed TF2, and it runs awesome, so no problems with the actual drivers.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Oct 1, 2012, 10:10 AM

10.6.8, with whatever version of bootcamp came with snow leopard.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2012, 11:23 AM

All right. Windows 7 requires Boot Camp 3.1, Snow Leopard shipped with Boot Camp 3.0. Download Boot Camp 3.1 and Boot Camp 3.2 from Apple Support:

Boot Camp 3.1 for Windows 64 bit
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1336

Boot Camp 3.2 for Windows 64 bit
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL979

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Oct 1, 2012, 04:48 PM

Should that matter though? I'm running 3.0 and everything works fine, once it boots.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2012, 11:32 AM

While I can't attest Boot Camp 3.1 or 3.2 is going to fix your (boot up / sleep and wake-up) issues as I didn't experience those, I can't see either a reason to not give it a try besides the old adagio "if if aint broken don't fix it". You have to weight the pros and cons and act accordingly.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Oct 5, 2012, 05:50 AM

Yeah, forgot to update. I updated to 3.2, and nothing has changed. Still won't boot unless I boot from CD (which somehow just boots from the real partition), and sleeping makes the thing unusable on wakeup.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2012, 07:25 AM

Hum, I don't have any spare hard disk where try to replicate the problem, otherwise I would.

F*ck that. I will look into my backup hard disks, I could partition one of them and give it a try over the weekend.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2012, 02:26 AM

I was able to install Boot Camp / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 after having removed all my internal hard disks less the one I had partitioned in order to accommodate Boot Camp, otherwise I would get a weird 0x000(…) Windows error. Upon reading the Boot Camp installation, it seems your Boot Camp disk should be placed in the first hard disk bay for the installation to be successful.

I can properly log-in, go to sleep, wake-up under Windows 7 with no issues whatsoever. I can't see what's going on with your Mac Pro. Is there any 3rd party hardware attached to it.?

Have you tried to download the latest drivers from Boot Camp Assistant within OS X's Utilities folder.?
It might be newer than what you have there (the drivers included with the Snow Leopard DVD.) It might solve nothing, though.

Please note, the screenshot below belongs to OS X Lion.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Oct 7, 2012, 03:54 PM

I have it and the main OS installed in the 3rd bay. Didn't think it mattered. Can I just move them around?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2012, 10:48 PM

3rd bay, same I have my Boot Camp hard disk placed into. Yes, you can move that HD to bay #1 without any worries. In fact, I use to move them around to find a cold spot for my boot HD. Mac Pro(s) are a bit hot inside. You might want to open System Preferences > Startup Disk to make sure your boot disk is still set thereafter.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Oct 22, 2012, 08:18 PM

WELLL... finally figured it out. Read some other problems similar to mine on that "other" site. Turns out if you have a RAID array installed in your first two HDD bays, and you install windows into the 3rd bay, what happens is windows writes the "boot code" or BCD whatever onto the first drive, thus when you try to boot from the hard disk, it cant ever find the proper place to boot from. Bizarre.

So, long story short, I ripped out all my extra HD's, installed the SSD in the first bay, wiped my partition, and started over.

P
Oct 22, 2012, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
WELLL... finally figured it out. Read some other problems similar to mine on that "other" site. Turns out if you have a RAID array installed in your first two HDD bays, and you install windows into the 3rd bay, what happens is windows writes the "boot code" or BCD whatever onto the first drive, thus when you try to boot from the hard disk, it cant ever find the proper place to boot from. Bizarre.
So, long story short, I ripped out all my extra HD's, installed the SSD in the first bay, wiped my partition, and started over.
And the saddest bit in all of this is that this makes sense to me. Windows is notoriously finicky about things like this.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Oct 23, 2012, 06:51 AM

Yeah. How fitting. What a stupid operating system. Oh well. Lesson learned!

Forum Links
Forum Rules