Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need to find a vendor for replacement parts

Need to find a vendor for replacement parts
loren s
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 11:05 AM

I have here a powerbook 12" and the dvd drive seems to be nuked. It constantly spits out discs of whatever I put into it now.

Hardware MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816 I read alot of the same stories about it but have not found a vendor for its part yet optical drive

Does anyone know of either a good replacement or same hardware at where I can purchace it ???

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2007, 12:28 PM

This should work, I've never ordered from them myself, but I think they just dissect Mac laptops and sell the parts:

iFixit - iBook & PowerBook Parts

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 12:51 PM

iFixit is great, try Blue Raven also:
Blue Raven
( Last edited by Sherman Homan; Apr 2, 2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: kant tipe good)

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 01:52 PM

PowerBook Guy has a used combo drive that's compatible with your machine for $80.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 10:50 PM

MCE has new Superdrives for $99
http://www.mcetech.com/pbg4dvdr8dl.html

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 02:50 AM

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optic...ves/powerbook/
http://www.welovemacs.com/disks-stor...om-drives.html
http://www.applepalace.com/scripts/default.asp
Go for the newer OD. Cost less than the older one. Especially the DL version. Might find it @ a PC store for less. Make sure you know whether your 12" PB is configured as Master/slave or master/master for the HD/OD config. So the OD you get can be configured accordingly. I went through immense amount of frustration realizing that my 15"PB the last rev/HR/DL is configured as M/S instead of M/M as in the pre last rev 15" PB.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

daystartech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 07:38 AM

There are a number of places where you can get replacement DVD drives. eBay often has the best prices. We offer them at Daystar as well.

But, most importantly, if you are going inside the 12" PowerBook and removing the optical drive, be sure to change the optical flex cable a the same time. The little bugger is only good for one or two removals. And will cause all types of problems. Daystar has the new cable with a kit (the EMI shield, screws) for $25.
Gary Dailey
Daystar Technology
Mac CPU Upgrades, Mac Video Capture, Apple Authorized Sales and Service

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by daystartech View Post

But, most importantly, if you are going inside the 12" PowerBook and removing the optical drive, be sure to change the optical flex cable a the same time. The little bugger is only good for one or two removals. And will cause all types of problems. Daystar has the new cable with a kit (the EMI shield, screws) for $25.
Gary, that is a great advice. Get a new one, not one pilferred from another PB.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 10:36 AM

Sweeet! Thank you all. This sounds great, and I will get the new cable as well. Many thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules