Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther open save dialogs?

Panther open save dialogs?
Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 10:53 AM

SO i see a few pics of the new Finder, it looks nice.

Question, do the new 'Open/Save' dialog box's provide the same 'View Options' as can be used to customize Finder windows? Example, in the Finder open a new window go 'View' menu and select 'View Options' if set to 'List' view we can change the 'Text Size' and select the Columns we prefer. I'd like to know if the Open/Save dialog box's provide the same level of customization as regular Finder windows...i think they should.

Still with Finder windows, can anyone tell me if a window set to 'List View' has been enhanced to be cosmetically similar to the List View window in iTunes? ie: in iTunes each column is separated by a very fine but distinct grey vertical line in addition to the horizontal strips of a different shade of color ...this line is horizontal and occurs every second line. Instead of a window that is just like a blank white page.

Since network disks dont show up on the desktop how does a user search for a file on multiple network disks at once?

jbhopper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 11:54 AM

Doesn't look like it...:

They need to add the Windows functionality (rename, delete, etc...) in the Apple GUI for the Open/Save panels...

Targon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by jbhopper:
Doesn't look like it...:

They need to add the Windows functionality (rename, delete, etc...) in the Apple GUI for the Open/Save panels...
hrm thanks..ya i agree open/save dialog's should be exactly the same as any other Finder window and posses the same customization. Why there are so restrictive an primitive i have no idea.

Back in the OS pre 9x days we had 'Action Files' this replaced the Mac OS standard dialogs ...they were probably the best 3rd party Control panel out there....anything the same for OS X until Apple significantly overhauls the system wide dialogs?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 12:39 PM

LiteSwitch X perhaps?
Or am I confusining it with another hack I have running at home?

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Targon:
Since network disks dont show up on the desktop how does a user search for a file on multiple network disks at once?
They do if you want them too, but what does that have to do with searching?

The search features are the same as in Jaguar - you choose the disks you want to perform search on.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Targon  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
They do if you want them too, but what does that have to do with searching?

The search features are the same as in Jaguar - you choose the disks you want to perform search on.
No they are not. From what i have seen when Command+F is invoked in the Finder the Network drives are NOT listed when u select 'Search specific places' in the 'Find' dialog. Searching 'Everywhere' does not search the network disks either.

When i click the network icon in the left panel of a Finder window set to column view, click the search field in that window an select 'Selection' then type the search doesn't reveal anything from ANY disk that is inside the Network icon. Eve selecting all of the network disks an doing a search in the same way doesnt search the disks in column view.

Care to explain this behavior?

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 01:51 PM

No they are not. From what i have seen when Command+F is invoked in the Finder the Network drives are NOT listed when u select 'Search specific places' in the 'Find' dialog.
Yes they are!!

And it's exactly like that in Jaguar too.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Eddies in the aether
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 02:27 PM

Back in the OS pre 9x days we had 'Action Files' this replaced the Mac OS standard dialogs ...they were probably the best 3rd party Control panel out there....anything the same for OS X until Apple significantly overhauls the system wide dialogs?
Default folderX
http://www.stclairsoft.com/cgi-bin/dl.cgi?DX-B
even supports 10.3

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 03:11 PM

I'm curious -- is this new open/save dialog still a "sheet" like it was in Jaguar (such as saving in TextEdit)? Or is it a free-floating pane (like in AppleWorks)?

Thanks...

"Psssst..."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by The Evener:
I'm curious -- is this new open/save dialog still a "sheet" like it was in Jaguar (such as saving in TextEdit)? Or is it a free-floating pane (like in AppleWorks)?

Thanks...
Both. No change there.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

SomeToast
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 05:32 PM

Still with Finder windows, can anyone tell me if a window set to 'List View' has been enhanced to be cosmetically similar to the List View window in iTunes? ie: in iTunes each column is separated by a very fine but distinct grey vertical line in addition to the horizontal strips of a different shade of color ...this line is horizontal and occurs every second line. Instead of a window that is just like a blank white page.
With the iTunesification Apple's done to nearly everything else, I would expect this change in the not too distant future (and would welcome it).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2003, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by jbhopper:
Yes, but these are just little buttons. How hard would it be for a shareware author to write a little hack that adds this functionality to all open/save dialogs system-wide?

*gets credit card ready to pay shareware fee*

Forum Links
Forum Rules