Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > loss of print to PDF function

loss of print to PDF function
toole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 10:12 PM

One second I could print to PDF - next the option disappeared. Anyway to fix this ?

Brings up a larger question as to what app to use for maintaining OS X ? I have Norton and TechTool on my OS 9 partition - can they be used ?

Many thanks.
G4 DP 533 MHz 512 MB RAM - Mac OS 10.2.3

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 10:21 PM

The way to print to PDF ( I don't know if it was different before but...) You get to the print dialogue box. Then choose print preview in the dialogue. The from the print preview you will have save to PDF in the file menu.

SWGS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 08:37 AM

if it is really gone, i would think that is really really strange, more likely you just made a mistake (no offense to you).

As for your question about maintenence utilities, Tech Tool Pro 3.0.4 is the minimum version you need to have it work well with OS X. this does not make it carbon, you have to run it from booted in OS 9 but it will recognize OS X file formats and knows how to fix them.

i dont think norton works yet, they have their carbon version coming out soon.
SWGS

Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2001, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by SpinCycle:
<STRONG>The way to print to PDF ( I don't know if it was different before but...) You get to the print dialogue box. Then choose print preview in the dialogue. The from the print preview you will have save to PDF in the file menu.</STRONG>
Nope, that is the slow way to save ad PDF - you do NOT have to preview a file to save it as PDF. The quick(er) way to save a file as PDF is to choose "Print..." from the file menu, then choose "Output Options" from the pop-up menu in the Print dialogue, then click the "Save as PDF" checkbox, then click "Print".

This is still not ideal - really, Apple should have a "Save as Read-Only PDF" checkbox in the Save As dialogue box, or a "Save as Read-Only PDF..." command in the File menu. But this is quicker than going through the Print-Preview process, just to save as PDF.

At least this is the case with Mac OS X 10.0.4. I don't have 10.1 yet so can't confirm that this option is there still.

Why don't Apple advertise this? Everyone seems to use the slower Print Preview method!

eyreka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2001, 10:45 AM

Help: somewhat related problem re loss of Preview from Print dialog. Preview has been taken over by Acrobat Reader (Classic). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: eyreka ]

toole  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2001, 09:40 AM

Thanks to all who have endeavoured to help me out. Finally figured it out.

In order for the print to PDF function to work you must have some kind of "regular"printer already ready to go. I have an Epson 1520 on a LAN [ which seems will never get an OS X driver but that's another story ] so I just put in its IP address so OS X thinks I really have a printer and then it works fine.

Problem was that after a forced restart this printer preference was forgotten - then I consequently lost the print to PDF function. In order to print from a carbon or cocoa app this is the only way for me to print - save to PDF and then print from OS 9.

toole  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2001, 09:41 AM

Thanks to all who have endeavoured to help me out. Finally figured it out.

In order for the print to PDF function to work you must have some kind of "regular"printer already ready to go. I have an Epson 1520 on a LAN [ which seems will never get an OS X driver but that's another story ] so I just put in its IP address so OS X thinks I really have a printer and then it works fine.

Problem was that after a forced restart this printer preference was forgotten - then I consequently lost the print to PDF function. In order to print from a carbon or cocoa app this is the only way for me to print - save to PDF and then print from OS 9.

Forum Links
Forum Rules