Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > App for quick desktop changes?

App for quick desktop changes?
jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 10:13 AM

I'm looking for a quick and dirty way to change my desktop. What I envision is either a menu bar app or dock app that, when clicked, gives access to small thumbnails of all my desktop pictures. Selecting a particular picture would change my desktop to that pic.

Is there an app of this sort available? Anyone wanna make one for me?

Thanks,
Jason

jerseyfreeze  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 10:30 AM

So I found this app called Quick Desktop, which is close to what I want, except I can't see a list/thumbnail of all my available desktops. It appears QD only allows you to schedule or force random changes.

-Jason

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2003, 11:02 AM

I find the desktop preference pane of the System Preferences app from Panther quite nice... unless you change your desktop every few seconds... oh wait it also work just set to change the background every x secs

jerseyfreeze  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
I find the desktop preference pane of the System Preferences app from Panther quite nice... unless you change your desktop every few seconds... oh wait it also work just set to change the background every x secs
Two issues with that:

1. I'm not on Panther, still using 10.2.8
2. Opening System Prefs, then the desktop pane, then navigating to the appropriate folder seems long and drawn out.

I want a menu bar item that will let me pick a few folders from which to select my desktop.

-Jason

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 11:21 AM

Use Launchbar! I can get to the desktop preference pane, with thumbnails and whatnot, by typing "command+space, d, &, enter". Very very quick.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

jerseyfreeze  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
Use Launchbar! I can get to the desktop preference pane, with thumbnails and whatnot, by typing "command+space, d, &, enter". Very very quick.
I do use Launchbar, but I hadn't thought about using it to get to the desktop pane. It still doesn't solve the problem of making the switching much easier. Since I sort my desktop pictures into various folders, and I can't mark those folders as favorites for the desktop pref pane, it makes it tedious when I want to choose a desktop from the 'cars' folder, and I'm currently using one from the 'Apple' folder.

-Jason

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2003, 12:31 PM

Although it doesn't do exactly what you wish, try the FreeWare Change Desktop - it allows you to select multiple folders (and within packages so you can e.g. select screensaver images too) and offers better control than the built-in Jag/Panther offerings. It also has a few other features that I don't use (like posting your desktop image to a server, etc).

The menubar icon lets you change to the next image (either random or in order of appearance in the folder, but not from a selection of thumbnails).

jerseyfreeze  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
Although it doesn't do exactly what you wish, try the FreeWare Change Desktop - it allows you to select multiple folders (and within packages so you can e.g. select screensaver images too) and offers better control than the built-in Jag/Panther offerings. It also has a few other features that I don't use (like posting your desktop image to a server, etc).

The menubar icon lets you change to the next image (either random or in order of appearance in the folder, but not from a selection of thumbnails).
Actually, that's the app I had found (I mistyped earlier, calling it Quick Desktop).

Forum Links
Forum Rules