Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook g3 900 logic problem?

View Poll Results: has your ibook 900 needed major repairs after 3 months?
Poll Options:
ibook has needed repairs 7 votes (46.67%)
no repairs 8 votes (53.33%)
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll
ibook g3 900 logic problem?
GiR666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 03:38 AM

Hi,

I'm debating about whether to get an ibook g3 900 or not, based on the probability of a logic board failure type problem that some ibooks seem to have. Does the 900 mhz, (presumably newer,) have this problem like the others? If I get it, I won't be getting applecare, (too expensive.) Have there been any logic board failings on the 900mhz models? I need a reliable laptop for wordprocessing and can't afford failure, so is this ibook worth it?

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by GiR666:
Hi,

I'm debating about whether to get an ibook g3 900 or not, based on the probability of a logic board failure type problem that some ibooks seem to have. Does the 900 mhz, (presumably newer,) have this problem like the others? If I get it, I won't be getting applecare, (too expensive.) Have there been any logic board failings on the 900mhz models? I need a reliable laptop for wordprocessing and can't afford failure, so is this ibook worth it?
You're not getting many responses because this is a well covered subject. I have no doubt that there are many 800-900mhz G3 ibook owners who have had no troubles whatsover. However, I personally had two 900mhz G3 ibooks experience logic board failures w/in the first week of ownership. Fortunately, I was able to return them for a full refund. There are folks on the net preparing a class action lawsuit againts Apple because of the widespread logic board issues.

That's not to say you will experience problems, however, I would not even consider purchasing one w/out Applecare. And even with Applecare, I'd go for the 12" G4 ibook w/combo drive. No need to buy a G3 at this late point in history, it's about extinct

YMMV!

ryeguy
Banned
Dec 22, 2003, 11:08 PM

My failed after 3.5 months (900 G3 14.1").

me_94501
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2003, 07:12 PM

My iBook was repaired in October at the age of 3 months. The logic board and hard drive were replaced.

Now two months later, I am having symtoms of logic board failure again (flickering screen).

EDIT: But wait--there's more! Now the screen won't even go on! I can retrieve my stuff using Firewire target disk mode, but I can't use the computer since the screen won't turn on.
( Last edited by me_94501; Dec 24, 2003 at 10:43 PM. )

skychum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2003, 09:23 PM

Dang. I got my G3 900 12" about 3 or 4 months ago. I'm happy with it for many reasons, but the more I use it, the more flimsy and cheap it seems, especially the pull-out cd-drive. Not Apple's best product.

Robertk2012
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 12:19 AM

My 900 g3 is fine. It has its few flaws but for what it is well worth what I paid for. I do hope to see an affordable G5 12' powerbook soon though. That would get me to drooling.

ryeguy
Banned
Dec 25, 2003, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by skychum:
Dang. I got my G3 900 12" about 3 or 4 months ago. I'm happy with it for many reasons, but the more I use it, the more flimsy and cheap it seems, especially the pull-out cd-drive. Not Apple's best product.
I wholeheartedly agree skychum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules