Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update debacles

Software Update debacles
mbharrin
Jun 4, 2000, 04:17 PM

Regarding the Multiple Users and Software Update Control Panel gaffe, is anyone else as ticked as I am? As someone wondering if the "new" Apple is ready for the enterprise, i'm quite skeptical. releasing broken software through an automatic patch system is reckless. and why no release notes? how are we to know what problems these patches fix? and didn't this same sort of thing happen a few weeks ago with OS 9.04 being released by mistake? what a mess.

the Software Update Control Panel is a good idea in theory, but Apple surely has botched it up. i'm amazed when it even works, which is seldom. Microsoft's "Windows Update" system is far superior. Apple, get on the ball.

---Matt

Cipher13
Jun 5, 2000, 07:02 AM

>>i'm amazed when it even works, which is seldom.

Personally I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the software update control panel
If you don't like the way it works, don't use it. But don't complain about it. Its a matter of preference. Personally I don't care what bugs the updates fix, as long as they're fixed. And if the updates don't work and screw up my machine, no big deal. One more reason I have a Mac - so damn easy to fix.
My experience with the windows update system is quite contrary to your views of it - have you actually USED that useless piece of software???

Cipher13

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2000, 10:11 PM

Actually it is quite appropriate to complain about a feature that is supposed to make the Mac OS easier to use (especially for first-time computer users) which instead causes system instability and creates more problems than it cures. There have been at least two instances in the past couple of months where software updates were made available prematurely in the Software Update control panel. The updates were subsequently pulled by Apple. However, this didn't help the users who had already installed the update. Several people have reported problems with these updates here and also at macfixit.com. Users shouldn't have to avoid a feature of the Mac OS because they're afraid of it breaking something that had been working. If Apple is going to offer automatic software updates, then they need to make sure that the updates are ready before they're released.

Cipher13
Jun 7, 2000, 05:17 AM

I agree - this is the place to complain about it too, however there is no need to dis a new feature of the Mac OS - of course there will be bugs. But has anyone else been through as much grief as mbharrin has because of the software updates CP?
When I say don't complain, how about asking civily whether something is obviously wrong, instead of going all out and saying how sh*t it is.

Cipher13

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2000, 11:22 AM

I agree as well. My personal experience with Software Update has been fairly good on my G4. However, I don't have it set to automatically download updates. I run it every 2 or 3 weeks and then I make a decision whether or not to install the update. Usually I download the installer from Apple's website so I have a backup copy of all the updates in case I ever need to reinstall my OS. Automatic software updates are a great concept much like self healing applications and the new packages for OS X. I hope the bugs in this new distribution system get worked out soon.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2000, 11:28 AM

well i agree too, dammit

the thing is inscrutable... though it has caused my Mac no harm and very little grief, there is just no telling how it will behave from one minute to the next... *sigh*

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2000, 08:51 AM

I have had problems with the Software Update Control Panel. Intially the British Release 1.0 worked fine, I then upgraded to the latest US version release (at the time), and not suprisingly it stopped working. With the release of International version OS 9.0.4 update, it was updated to 1.1.1, and it works now, but still gives me a list of software that needs updating, when I have the update already.

I know a lot of people have had problems with it, and a lot that have not. Is it possible that some "international" users who are having problems have upgraded the control panel using the US updater?

Will this make any difference? If not why does Apple bother posting US and International updates?
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

Fredo
Senior User
Jun 8, 2000, 07:13 PM

I think the latest version is 1.1.3. It fixed a lot of the earlier version's problems.(But not all)
Who are the Brain Police?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Jun 10, 2000, 06:08 AM

On the rare occasion that the update control panel actually connects properly and gives me a list of things to update.. Once I start downloading and the progress bar reaches halfway, it stops and is finished! The progress bar never gets to the end of it's length. Apart from that, it seems to update things ok..

Anyone else had that problem?

mbharrin
Jun 10, 2000, 02:50 PM

Cipher13,

I can think of many replies to your suggestion that we not complain about broken software, but perhaps the best way to convey my feelings is to ask if you would be so forgiving if it was Microsoft who had unleashed this on us. I think that most Mac users would rip MS apart for that.

Software Update is broken and reckless. Unsuspecting users can download and automatically install software which botches their system up. Well, assuming that Software Update actually works and they can download anything at all.

Pringlis
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2000, 09:07 AM

Software Update didn't used to work for me at all but it seems to be OK now.. my only real problem with it is the fact that it quits all apps at the beginning of the download process.. is this really necessary?

Pring

GrantS
Jun 14, 2000, 12:44 PM

Actually, I just upgraded to 1.1.3, and now it won't find anything to upgrade (despite the fact that in the previous version, SWU 1.1.3 was one of 6 things I could update, including: OS9.0.4, G4 Firmware, AppleScript, etc.).

Anyone else run into this problem? Could it be because I am still running OS 9.0.2? If so, SWU shouldn't let you DL SWU 1.1.3 IMHO.

ah well, back to the good ole days of updating manually (ie. never doing it).

cheers.

MacManBHS
Jun 15, 2000, 11:49 AM

I know the feeling all of you are having. I an the IT guy at an all Mac company (one of just a few, but growing I guess). We have all iMacs, many new ones with OS 9. The Software Update, for me, has NEVER worked on any of the 35 some odd iMacs I have. I remedy this by using the program "Update Agent" which I download from www.download.com.

Get it. It works.

Brad

Fredo
Senior User
Jun 15, 2000, 03:59 PM

You can also access update downloads here: http://asu.info.apple.com/
Who are the Brain Police?

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2000, 10:27 AM

I used to use the scheduled search feature of Software Update. Then my computer started getting really slow for about 10 minutes at certain times on certain days. It turned out that at these times, Software Update was updating software. I turned off the scheduling and these products don't occur anymore. Apple, it can't be _that_ hard to search for updates.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

Forum Links
Forum Rules