Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iMac boot problems! Flashing ?, freeze with CD

iMac boot problems! Flashing ?, freeze with CD
TerryJ
Senior User
Jun 7, 2004, 06:36 PM

Hey everyone,

I am trying to get an iMac CRT, blue, back in action. All was fine until coming into the office this morning and when powering up it displayed the flashing ? and Finder icon. Fine, I thought...just boot from the restore CD and run disk repair. At that time I noticed that there was no response from the keyboard or mouse. I zapped the PRAM and the kb and mose came back to life...also unplugged the ethernet and other USB cables so only the kb and mouse are plugged in. Ran AHT and all was fine there. I can eject CD's fine by holding down the mouse button on startup and also startup from other CD's holding the 'C' key just fine.When I try and startup from the Restore disk, it gets all the way to the point of showing the stuff on the desktop and opens the disk folder where I see 'Utilities' but then the cursor always either freezes or disappears. I am using an Apple Pro optical mouse and I notice I still have power to it as the red light is glowing. I have also tried starting up from the HD holding the 'shift' key to disable the extensions but it goes straight to the flashing ?.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 07:29 PM

i've had similar problems before, but I was unable to boot from the cd at all. so i was a little stuck...!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 07:48 PM

You may need to do a CUDA reset. You can either pull the battery out for 10 minutes of press the CUDA reset button. If you have a slot-loader, you can see this button from the iMac's back flap. If it's a tray-loader, check Apple's support pages.

Forum Links
Forum Rules