Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari will not respond

Safari will not respond
Smillz
Oct 29, 2008, 05:08 PM

Title basically says it, safari will not open at all. The safari icon just bounces for a couple of minutes but does nothing else, when I right click on it it says Application Not Responding. I can't even open safari preferences because of the spinning beach ball.

I tried deleting everything from safari and downloading it off of apple but I get an error message saying that I can not install on this hardware because it must be 10.5.2 or later...I am positive that I am running 10.5.5

So then I took out the good old install disks and figured it would help. Everything installs fine but safari still will NOT open. The weird fact about this is that it works on my other account on this computer. So something must be corrupt in my admin account, any idea what causes this or what I can do?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 06:38 PM

~/Library/Safari and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. Move to either the trash or the desktop and relaunch safari to see if anything happens.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Smillz  (op)
Oct 29, 2008, 07:35 PM

Wow that was so simple, thanks so much. So that fixed safari, but now it still will not update

Cold Warrior
Oct 29, 2008, 07:55 PM

Download and install the 10.5.5 combo update

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...mboupdate.html

voth
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2008, 01:18 AM

What causes this? I've never run into this issue until yesterday, it kind of freaked me out since Activity monitor wasn't telling me anything was out of the ordinary.

Forum Links
Forum Rules