Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti Powerbook 867mHz -Unstable Internet Connection Problem

Ti Powerbook 867mHz -Unstable Internet Connection Problem
silentfeet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 02:27 PM

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays to all,
I have aTibook 867mHz, 1gig ram, OSX v10.4.11. My Internet connection keeps dropping while no one else's does in the same house. When I lose the signal, I have to close the lid of the Tibook for a few seconds, then open it back up, and the signal is restored for a while, then drops, again. I have taken then Airport card out several times, reconnected it, and this has seemed to help, but not for long. Was wondering if my Airport card needs to be replaced? Any ideas on this will be greatly appreciated. Much frustration over this when working on the Internet and signal drops out repeatedly. Grrrrrrrrr!
silentfeet

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2007, 04:38 PM

Is it stationary when it drops the signal? I've heard before of TiBooks losing their connection because the antennae gets pinched if it's being moved.

Cold Warrior
Dec 22, 2007, 04:46 PM

Run a utility like airmoose to see if other wifi points in the neighborhood are operating on the same or an adjacent channel. If so, try changing yours to something else.

silentfeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 04:58 PM

Hi iMitchellg5,

Yes, the Tibook is stationary, it's on my lap, ie, and I have noticed that when I am in bed and I put the Tibook on my lap with my legs drawn up so that the Tibook is higher than my head, and I'm actually looking up at an angle at the screen, the connection problem occurs more frequently.

Hi Cold Warrior,

How and where do I obtain the utility "airmoose" ?

Thanks for both of you responding,

silentfeet
silentfeet

Cold Warrior
Dec 22, 2007, 05:02 PM

silentfeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks Cold Warrior for the update link. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it worked outl
silentfeet

silentfeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 05:15 PM

Hi Cold Warrior,
I tried AirMoose and there are two other WiFi points on the same channel. How do I go about changing the channel to one not being used?
silentfeet

silentfeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 05:20 PM

I forgot to mention that all the WiFi points list "Yes" under WEP EXCEPT mine. My network lists "No."
silentfeet

silentfeet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 11:57 AM

Have figured out how to change Internet channel on router. Thanks iMitchell and Cold Warrior for your help. Can't help but wonder that out of 52 people who viewed this thread you both were the only ones who responded? Have a great Christmas Holiday, and thanks again for your help.
silentfeet

Forum Links
Forum Rules