Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > UK stops funding of homeopathy

UK stops funding of homeopathy
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 07:07 PM

Stop funding homeopathy, say British MPs - health - 23 February 2010 - New Scientist

About freakin' time. I'd like the U.S. to follow suit, but I doubt it. Quack laws have been grandfathered in since the 18th century.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2010, 08:21 AM

Your headline is misleading. The NHS has certainly NOT stopped funding homeopathy. Some MP's on a select committee have said it should but no decision has been made yet.

Given governments obsession with patient choice at the moment I would guess that a no decision is very unlikely. Far better that patients have the right to choose to undergo a useless therapy than be restricted by the state to only those that have been evidenced to work.

Thus we had the horrible scene the other night on the main BBC news where they dug out a random woman who claimed that homeopathy had cured her cancer and saved her live. No reply from any MD was given regarding issues such as spontaneous remission, misdiagnosis or any questions regarding the woman's health history. The story was clear presented as govt wants to ban treatment that can cure incurable cancers.

Luckily prominent anti quackery MD Dr Ben Goldacre was allowed on later in the evening to express his horror at the BBC for allowing such an interview, but his comments had to be "balanced out" by allowing a homeopath on the give counter arguments. Again with no deep reference to sources from his side to back up his claims.

The media really does love altmed as it is good at delivering "human stories" while medical doctors tend to err too much on the side of caution and evidence to make good TV.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

lexapro
Baninated
Mar 5, 2010, 02:45 AM

Homeopathy is very effective. Drinking water always cures cancer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules