Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > MacNN settings

MacNN settings
CmdrGampu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2010, 01:21 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I can't find another place to put this. If it belongs somewhere else, can a mod please move it?

I just did some cookie cleaning and accidentally deleted my MacNN cookies. The problem is that I lost one of the settings with the cookies and can't figure out how to set it again. I want the second and subsequent pages of news to open new pages (not new tabs or windows). The current system of unhiding the earlier stories is a pain in the neck. Every time I open a story then hit back when I'm done, it goes back to showing only the latest stories and I have to unhide the earlier stories again. Anyone know what I need to set?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 3, 2010, 01:40 AM

Moved from Team MacNN to the Feedback forum. 'Team MacNN' is the distributed computing team. We save the world, one idle computer at a time.

I don't know the answer to your question in detail, but ... how about using Time Machine. Go back to before your cleanout, and restore the browser cookie file. If you want to know exactly where that file is, you'll have to tell us what browser you use, on what OS.

ps - if the answer is 'IE 6' you may get a few unhelpful comments.

CmdrGampu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2010, 03:40 AM

Never mind. Just visited MacNN again and it seems to have sorted itself out so I get the "next" link again instead of "show more." That didn't happen even with multiple page reloads before I posted the question. I hate this overly complicated interface that MacNN has nowadays. Too many options and scripts.

Penguirl
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
'Team MacNN' is the distributed computing team. We save the world, one idle computer at a time.
May I have your permission to use that as an email sig, with credit of course?

-Q-
Dec 7, 2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
'Team MacNN' is the distributed computing team. We save the world, one idle computer at a time.
Not being difficult, but honestly curious: has any research finding or result(s) come from the distributed computing projects out there? Pretty sure I would have heard about a SETI finding but the others are completely outside my regular news feeds.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 7, 2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Penguirl View Post
May I have your permission to use that as an email sig, with credit of course?
Go right ahead.

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Not being difficult, but honestly curious: has any research finding or result(s) come from the distributed computing projects out there? Pretty sure I would have heard about a SETI finding but the others are completely outside my regular news feeds.
You're right, no SETI announcements, unless the government is suppressing it. There have been assorted research papers published by the medical-related projects, most of which are simulating protein folding interactions.

I haven't heard of any 'big' announcements yet, but have been too busy to watch for one. Maybe someone else has heard something.

P
Dec 7, 2010, 03:00 PM

Some of the earliest initiatives were about finding primes - I know that DC found the biggest prime several times. It has also cracked short encryption keys, but the other things aren't so immedieatly obvious, I think.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Penguirl
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2010, 04:29 PM

Thank you reader50.

There have been some discoveries in the mathematical projects that I know of, such as this one :

A new AP24 (Arithmetic Progression of 24 primes) has been found. The finder is Tina Kent (Penguirl) of the United States. She is a member of Team MacNN. The AP24 was returned on 20 Jul 2009 15:58:44 UTC. It was found by a Power Macintosh running OS X. It took about 71 minutes 33 seconds to process the WU (each WU tests 3 progression differences). The progression is written as 20909681071069667+234797*23#*n for n=0..23.

And I know of this one from Einstien earlier this year:

"I'm happy to report that we found our first radio pulsar last month: PSR J2007+2722. It is still not sure, but this appears to be a rare type of object called a Disrupted Recycled Pulsar. The discovery was published on-line by the journal Science, on Thursday August 12th."

Forum Links
Forum Rules