Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod shuffle good for a total music nut!

iPod shuffle good for a total music nut!
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 08:24 AM

Its my brothers birthday in about a month's time, and I'm thinking of something to get for him. He's a PC user, and is a total music head, 1000's of MP3's, a cabinet full of CD's including import and rare stuff, I got him an external hard drive for xmas to give him more storage. You get the idea. He's into electronic type stuff (Warp records, Bjork etc), and he did his degree in sound recording and media, so he knows his stuff, sound quality and music wise.

A few years ago he bought an MP3 player, one of the very early ones that used a SmartMedia card with maybe 1 or 2 albums capacity, I think it was a Creative (small black matchbox sized thing from what I can remember. That now sits gathering dust, and he uses a portable CD player.

Would an iPod shuffle be a good buy? I don't want to get it for him for it to sit in a box with the old player. I know that he uses iTunes on his PC, and he did give a kind of 'that's not bad' reaction when he saw the shuffle on apple's website (on the other hand, at first sight of Mac mini, his reaction was a groan of 'Oh no, its just a new cube, but they made it smaller, yeah okay', not impressed.

Final question is what are the chances of getting one in the UK before the end of February?
( Last edited by ajprice; Jan 24, 2005 at 11:17 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
Would an iPod shuffle be a good buy? I don't want to get it for him for it to sit in a box with the old player. I know that he uses iTunes on his PC, and he did give a kind of 'that's not bad' reaction when he saw the shuffle on apple's website
I think so. Has he expressed any interest in the other iPods?

(on the other hand, at first sight of Mac mini, his reaction was a groan of 'Oh no, its just a new cube, but they made it smaller, yeah okay', not impressed.
Not impressed? Does he remember the price tag on the Cube?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by ajprice:
Its my brothers birthday in about a month's time, and I'm thinking of something to get for him. He's a PC user, and is a total music head, 1000's of MP3's
Pfff, amateur.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 11:23 AM

Hehe, yeah. By 1000's, I just meant loads, as in s***loads, as in...well, you know what I mean. More than 1000's then.

Naplander
Senior User
Jan 24, 2005, 11:41 AM

Sure he will dig it.

I have quite a few mp3's too - many of which i never listen to. I am looking forward to getting a shuffle to throw some of these at my un-suspecting ears
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

iMacfan
Senior User
Jan 24, 2005, 11:47 AM

If it's any help, I walked in and bought a 512Mb one (they didn't have 1Gb ones) at the London Applestore last Friday - they might not be in stock all the time but they are definitely around.

David

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 01:05 PM

OK, just to let you know, I didn't get a Shuffle, I got a CD/MP3 player. My mum shown it to him, he said he wanted it, so she let me know and I gave her the money to get it.

From Aldi, �18, plays Audio CD, MP3 CD & CD-R discs, comes with a charger, car charger, car cassette adapter and headphones. Most of his MP3's are backed up onto CD anyway, and he carries a normal CD player with him now, so it will replace that.

Thanks anyway people, but no Shuffle sale here...

Forum Links
Forum Rules