Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > commit gnats to Allah >:(

commit gnats to Allah >:(
Ham Sandwich
Aug 20, 2016, 10:27 AM

This summer I started making my own smoothies, which worked until my garbage exploded with these stupid shoulder hunched-looking red gnats. I mean hundreds of them... since then I've committed 1,000 of them to Allah via tennis racket. I went through two waves, but this is the third and I can't get rid of them. They're still coming. I GIVE UP.

I've tried soap and vinegar. That brought some of them near but then would take off.
I've tried store-bought sticky tape. That was a mess and didn't work.
I've already cleaned my kitchen so the current wave of gnats has something nice to look at.
I'm exhausted from lugging my tennis racket everywhere (glad I have one otherwise I'd have 3,000 gnats). Every time I bite to eat something, there's another gnat. ZAP. Another bite, ZAP. Another bite... ZAP. Time to read. ZAP. Nature calls. ZAP. Time for sleep. *buzz...*

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2016, 11:42 AM

Gnats start life in piles of dead grass and such, so if you have any piles of grass around, hose them down with bug killer. Are you sure they are gnats and not fruit flies or mosquitos, or something else.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2016, 03:31 PM

Which garbage? In your house? Outside?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2016, 03:42 PM

Spray Home Defense into your garbage can. Put Chlorox down your sink drain. Vacuum cleaners are good at sucking them up too.

mindwaves
Aug 20, 2016, 11:08 PM

Not sure where the issue is, outside or inside, but sticky fly trap works wonders. Just need a lot of them sometimes and patience. But best course of action is to remove the smell itself with kitchen cleaning stuff.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Spray Home Defense into your garbage can.
The key is to make them rethink not signing the Geneva Convention.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2016, 08:32 AM

I once had a similar problem with vegetable waste in the garbage - damn gnats were everywhere.
The only way I was able to stop them was by isolating the vegetable waste - plastic bags tied shut so that even if they breed they'll be stuck in the bag.
You'll still have to spray until you have it under control - Raid flying insect or anything for that matter will work in the short term.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2016, 10:13 AM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 23, 2016, 10:24 AM

I ended up throwing the garbage out (again), then purchased a 10-pack roll of ultra sticky smelly glue tape... I ended up throwing three of them in the new garbage, plus I hung another one down from the ceiling nearby. Then I just kept zapping with my tennis racket and after three days the issue went to tolerable levels.

andi*pandi
Aug 23, 2016, 12:14 PM

you might also try washing the garbage can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules