Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple and Airborne must die!

Apple and Airborne must die!
ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 12:54 PM

<VENT> <RANT>
I ordered a BTO 15" AL two weeks ago and got word that it had shipped (with 2 day shipping) last Monday 9/22. Well, it's now 9/29 and no Powerbook. My daily calls to Apple and Airborne only served to fill my head with contradictory and often false information. I have never been so stonewalled by two companies. The capper was this morning when, despite promises to the contrary, the package was not out for delivery. Airborne told me that while my computer was, indeed, in Los Angeles, it had not made it to the local distribution point. I said, "well, I already took the day off work to wait for it, let me go pick it up." They said it was physically impossible because it was "in transit" between the two points. My explanation that even on a traffic-heavy Monday it does not take 12 hours to cross Los Angeles and thus it actually had to be sitting somewhere. carried no weight. They said Apple would have to authorize it. So, I called Apple and, after waiting 20 minutes to speak with someone, they said their records showed it had gone out for delivery on Friday. I told them they were wrong, that there was someone here all day Friday and there was no package. They said, ok, but still they had to give Airborne a chance to deliver the package before they could authorize me to pick it up. I said, "It's been over a week on a two day delivery! They've had their chance!!!" No luck. I'm hoping it'll come tomorrow. Though I doubt it. </RANT></VENT>
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 01:08 PM

i feel you on that. airborne express has been craptacular, and apple computer has been equally craptacular in sending out my powerbook. while i haven't waited as long as you have, i have experineced the morons on both ends of the phone who obviously have no clue on what is going on.

apple gives me a bunk tracking number that should not be given out in the first place until airborne confirms my package arriving first. all that leads to is unnecessary stress and heartache. then the people at airborne blame apple and apple blames airborne. what a bunch of losers, they both need to get their act straight.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 01:11 PM

I know what you mean, though I'm not quite at your stage yet. I received notice that my powerbook shipped Friday, I logged on to airborne saturday and it showed in transit in Illinois, today nothing, the web page states that I need to call airborne which I did and they told me it needs to pass through customs (from illinois????) ok, that was this morning, still nothing. I hope I don't get to your stage.

Mike

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 01:37 PM

I hope Apple reads this forum and makes a decision to use a reliable courier in the future.

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
I know what you mean, though I'm not quite at your stage yet. I received notice that my powerbook shipped Friday, I logged on to airborne saturday and it showed in transit in Illinois, today nothing, the web page states that I need to call airborne which I did and they told me it needs to pass through customs (from illinois????) ok, that was this morning, still nothing. I hope I don't get to your stage.

Mike

I am in the same boat as Mike. I recieved a email on Friday that it has shipped checked the tracking number that apple gave me but nothing came up. Then I checked the tracking number which was on my Apple Invoice email which was a diff tracking number than the one Apple sent me in the previous email. In this tracking number it showed up as shipped from Tawain and Arrived in Illinois and Had cleared Customs. I called Airborne this morning and she said it should ship by tomorrow AM. But as I check the site it say out for delivery in Illinois still which means its sitting in some shippers truck and still hasnt arrive at the Apple Shipping Center.

What the is going on?? Apple and Airborne seem just as politically corrupt as the State of New Jersey.

ingeniero
Sep 29, 2003, 01:59 PM

I take it they won't allow you to ship FEDEX or UPS collect (with your won account)? I can't imagine how a corporation as big as Apple uses a crappy freight company as Airborne. I have always trusted FedEx and UPS "AIR" if FedEx is not available.

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 02:00 PM

Ok Just checked again. Now its showing up w/ the tracking number apple gave me. But now its saying in Transit from Taipei, Taiwan what the Airborne told me it was in Illinois.

What the hell is going on?

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by CobraNT:
I hope Apple reads this forum and makes a decision to use a reliable courier in the future.
It is my understanding that some "people who matter" are reading forums (here and other places).

Remember that Apple sends the "shipped" email to you when the box (on a pallet with many, many other boxes) leaves the manufacturing plant. This is still 24-48 hours from what most of us would consider "shipped", especially since the 2-3 days (or overnight) doesn't start until you machine gets to an Apple distro center.

Not the best way to do things, IMHO.

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by gsingh:
Ok Just checked again. Now its showing up w/ the tracking number apple gave me. But now its saying in Transit from Taipei, Taiwan what the Airborne told me it was in Illinois.

What the hell is going on?
Take a few minutes to read the "Official 15" shipping" thread to learn how the shipping will proceed. It will let you understand what to look for, and when you can expect your package, if not make you feel better about Airborne or how long it's taking.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 02:13 PM

Like actually writing them to complain?

http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

Or just send an email to [email protected].

Your chances of getting a response from Apple merely by commenting on this forum are slim to none. But if you are merely just letting off steam, by all means go ahead, I feel for you. Their computers are like more addictive than crack!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 02:53 PM

Take a few minutes to read the "Official 15" shipping" thread to learn how the shipping will proceed
No offense but that thread is 8 pages long, it will take more then a few minutes to read. If you meant the "Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread" thread because I could not find when I searched the official 15" shipping thread.

That being the case could you explain a little more in how the shippin will proceed.

Thanks
Mike

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 02:56 PM

No offense but that thread is 8 pages long, it will take more then a few minutes to read. If you meant the "Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread" thread because I could not find when I searched the official 15" shipping thread.

That being the case could you explain a little more in how the shippin will proceed.

Thanks
Mike
OK, try this: search for my posts there, especially 9/25 and 9/26 dates.

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 02:57 PM

-- Deleted by me. I think I was sharing too much. --
( Last edited by ericwass; Sep 29, 2003 at 04:51 PM. )
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

bbales
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 03:13 PM

Apple used Fed Ex in February, for the last batch of "new" powerbooks. And Fed Ex was much, MUCH better than Airborne seems to have been this time around.

I ordered software from Pangea software for Christmas for one of my kids. It did not arrive in anything close to a timely fashion. Airborne, when I could finally reach someone, said something along the lines of "well, it's Christmas, we're busy, so we don't really actually promise 2-day delivery." What a load of garbage! Pangea, when I e-mailed them, was extremely apologetic and did refund the overnight fee I'd paid, if I recall. The guy even said he'd have to rethink using Airborne anymore.

I know I would not use them voluntarily.

Here's hoping you all get your computers soon.

ericwass  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2003, 03:14 PM

Well, in case you all were wondering if anybody at Apple listens... Steve wrote me back within 5 minutes:

Sorry. We're on it.

Steve

What this will all result in? Your guess is as good as mine.

benb
Sep 29, 2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower:
Or just send an email to [email protected].
I've often wondered who reads the mail to that address. Maybe I should apply for the position.

Waveman
Sep 29, 2003, 04:40 PM

Thanks
Mike
Basically, the shipping process has two stages (this applies to U.S. orders):

1. Taiwan to U.S.: Takes about 2-3 days, including time to clear customs. You can track this to some extent with the waybill # from your Apple invoice.

2. Distribution center to you: Takes about two business days. You should be able to track this with your personal shipping # (the one in your shipping email notice), but Airborne's tracking system is very poor. Mine didn't show up as out for delivery until the morning it arrived.

(I've since sent my PB back to Apple and am awaiting a replacement.)
( Last edited by Waveman; Sep 30, 2003 at 10:55 AM. )

Tomster
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 07:35 PM

As a person who recently received a Powerbook, I can say my experiences with Airborne were less than stellar. I do not expect magic from a company - I understand it takes time for the thousands of Powerbooks to be stacked, sorted, and shipped. If it is delayed for a legitimate reason, no problems. My problem with Airborne was that they could not tell me where my package was nor when it would arrive. Very inconvenient because one cannot plan accordingly.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 07:25 AM

Basically, the shipping process has two stages (this applies to U.S. orders):

1. Taiwan to U.S.: Takes about 2-3 days, including time to clear customs. You can track this to some extent with the waybill # from your Apple invoice.
This is the part the bothers me the most, (not that it originated from taiwan but I chose 2-3 shipping, I received noticed that it shipped on Friday evening, so doing simple math it should be here today or tomorrw, however its been on a slow boat from china. I paid for 2-3 day, but I'm getting 4-6 days.

I'm real tempted not to accept the package and get my money back. I agree with you that airborne's tracking system is the pits, I've heard the same thing over and over it should be there in 2-3 days. They don't have a clue where it is.

Grrrr, I want it, but with all of the problems being described about the battery, and the bad taste in my mouth in how it got shipped, I'm ready to say thanks but no thanks.

Mike

bonk
Sep 30, 2003, 08:53 AM

My 17" just shipped last night via Airborne 0_o

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 10:08 AM

WHAT A BUNCH OF B.S.. I received confirmation from TWO bozos at airborne yesterday that my shipment would be here before 12 noon today, and just now i get off the phone with a moron who says my computer is still in taiwain. i talk to her idiot supervisor and she apologized to me about 50 times while i was screaming off the top of my lungs.

i really hate airborne express, and to the important people who work at apple that read this forum....GET YOUR ACT STRAIGHT AND DROP AIRBORNE EXPRESS. they have no clue on whats going on and all theyre doing is talking crap about apple and how screwed up your delivery system is. one supervisor stated that 'apple doesn't know what theyre doing'.

Waveman
Sep 30, 2003, 10:59 AM

This is the part the bothers me the most, (not that it originated from taiwan but I chose 2-3 shipping, I received noticed that it shipped on Friday evening, so doing simple math it should be here today or tomorrw, however its been on a slow boat from china. I paid for 2-3 day, but I'm getting 4-6 days.

I'm real tempted not to accept the package and get my money back. I agree with you that airborne's tracking system is the pits, I've heard the same thing over and over it should be there in 2-3 days. They don't have a clue where it is.

Grrrr, I want it, but with all of the problems being described about the battery, and the bad taste in my mouth in how it got shipped, I'm ready to say thanks but no thanks.

Mike
If the battery life problem (or any other hardware issue) is a deal-breaker for you, then by all means send it back. However, I wouldn't return it simply to show my frustration with shipping snafus. Despite the problems, I'm looking forward to getting and using my replacement PB.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Waveman:
I wouldn't return it simply to show my frustration with shipping snafus.
I'm looking forward, though I am worried about the battery life. Well here's the latest, I checked the status this morning and Airborne said its on the truck and will be at my address before noon. So I take the time out of work and wait and wait and well wait. By 1:00pm, I need to get back to work.

Here's the best part (so far) I called Airborne at 12:05 asking the status, they say they text messaged the guy and he should be there in a few minutes. I call again just before 1:00 and the airborne says well they just texted messaged him so be patient and give him a few minuets to respond. Well I told her I called almost an hour ago and was told he will be there in a few minutes, she was speechless and could not help any further.

Thats the problem its not just frustation with shipping snafus its taking the time out at work and waiting after they promised to be there. I can't do that everyday, which is why I may just let them try for 3 times and get my money back at apple.

Mike

dtkirkpa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 01:49 PM

I placed an order for the 12 inch and an iPod. The iPod shipped on the 25th from China via Airborne. The 12 inch PB shipped on the 26th via Fedex. It arrived on the 29th, and I could track it from Taiwan to Anchorage and eventually to my door. The iPod is still listed as 'in transit' by Airborne, and the only tracking position is still the initial point of departure.

I know which one I'm going to give my business to, whenever I have a choice.

Perhaps Airborne Express should rebrand themselves as Waterborne Delays.

Waveman
Sep 30, 2003, 02:10 PM

I'm looking forward, though I am worried about the battery life. Well here's the latest, I checked the status this morning and Airborne said its on the truck and will be at my address before noon. So I take the time out of work and wait and wait and well wait. By 1:00pm, I need to get back to work.

Here's the best part (so far) I called Airborne at 12:05 asking the status, they say they text messaged the guy and he should be there in a few minutes. I call again just before 1:00 and the airborne says well they just texted messaged him so be patient and give him a few minuets to respond. Well I told her I called almost an hour ago and was told he will be there in a few minutes, she was speechless and could not help any further.

Thats the problem its not just frustation with shipping snafus its taking the time out at work and waiting after they promised to be there. I can't do that everyday, which is why I may just let them try for 3 times and get my money back at apple.
Is there any way you could have the PB delivered to you at work?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Waveman:
Is there any way you could have the PB delivered to you at work?
Nope, I already asked. Shortly after I recieved notification that it shipped it dawned on me that's what I should have done in the first place, so a lesson learned.

Mike

Waveman
Sep 30, 2003, 04:01 PM

Nope, I already asked. Shortly after I recieved notification that it shipped it dawned on me that's what I should have done in the first place, so a lesson learned.

Mike
How about picking it up directly from Airborne's local facility? I've done this many times.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 07:08 AM

That might be an option, but its not close or convenient.

What burns me is they said they stopped by at my house at 4:30 and no one was home. I have no proof of that because they didn't leave any notice.

They told me it would be here before noon today, I'll work from home for a couple of hours and see.

Mike

Waveman
Oct 1, 2003, 07:29 AM

That might be an option, but its not close or convenient.

What burns me is they said they stopped by at my house at 4:30 and no one was home. I have no proof of that because they didn't leave any notice.

They told me it would be here before noon today, I'll work from home for a couple of hours and see.

Mike
I recently had to make a special trip out to the airport (about 30 minutes each way) to pick up a small Airborne package that I would rather have had left at my doorstep.

When I found out that the package hadn't been delivered, I spoke to someone at the airport facility and asked him to hold it there for pick up when the driver returned at the end of the day.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 08:00 AM

Why does Apple even use Airborne when UPS works so well with them? and yea, I've had products shipped to me with Airborne before, and it always took longer than what it should be. Last time I used it, it took me a good 8 days to get my stuff after it has shipped. It was suppose to be 5 days. This is not counting the weekends either, so don't give me that weekend crap.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 08:34 AM

They probably use Airborne for the cost. Airborne is big when shipping from China, Taiwan etc. even though they suck at it. Like any corporation Apple probably chose Airborne because they were $.25 cheaper than UPS not for the quality of service. Think positive, I have never heard anything good about Airbornes service, so they probably won't last long in the shipping world.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Why does Apple even use Airborne when UPS works so well with them?
Are you kidding me?? UPS gouges its customers with crazy brokerage fees - at least that's how it is for us Canadians. FedEx so far is the best out of the lot. Apple should stick with FedEx.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 09:12 AM

I recently had to make a special trip out to the airport (about 30 minutes each way) to pick up a small Airborne package that I would rather have had left at my doorstep.
For me its more like an hour including sitting in bumper to bumper taffic. Definately a last resort which is why if I miss them today I'll let it go un claimed tomorrow, then get my money back and wait until the apple store has them in stock.

Hoping to get it today
Mike

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Rain:
Are you kidding me?? UPS gouges its customers with crazy brokerage fees - at least that's how it is for us Canadians. FedEx so far is the best out of the lot. Apple should stick with FedEx.
True, my best service experience are with Fedex. Apple should just use them full time. UPS is great, but cost too much, Airborne is cheap, but their service sucks, so all there is left are Fedex since they cover both in land orders as well as international orders.

But yea, I orded a Airport Extreme from Apple's online store a couple days ago, as well as other stuff. Well, they shipped my printer with UPS, but used Airborne to ship my Airport Extreme. I'm guessing they are both from 2 different storages, but why do each of their storage uses different package carriers? and not just stick with one carrier?

Ming

benb
Oct 1, 2003, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
why do each of their storage uses different package carriers? and not just stick with one carrier?

Ming
$

My iPod sgipped out the 26th via Airborne but the tracking number didn't track until today!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 01:38 PM

Here's the latest and greatest on my situation.

Airborne came through after many phone calls, I was able to get them to deliver the PB at noon today. Woohoo, because I need to get back to work I can't play (err I mean work with it) but it looks like its defect free at least on the outside.

I'm still miffed at Airborne and will probably write a letter to them and apple stating the shoddy service and poor customer relations that they have. On the numerious phone calls they ofton promised to call me back in a "few minutes" and never did. All in all, the next time, I buy an apple computer, I'll avoid ordering it through apple and pick it at a apple store or a compusa.

Mike

Waveman
Oct 1, 2003, 01:57 PM

Here's the latest and greatest on my situation.

Airborne came through after many phone calls, I was able to get them to deliver the PB at noon today. Woohoo, because I need to get back to work I can't play (err I mean work with it) but it looks like its defect free at least on the outside.

I'm still miffed at Airborne and will probably write a letter to them and apple stating the shoddy service and poor customer relations that they have. On the numerious phone calls they ofton promised to call me back in a "few minutes" and never did. All in all, the next time, I buy an apple computer, I'll avoid ordering it through apple and pick it at a apple store or a compusa.

Mike
Glad you finally got your PB. I was running out of suggestions. Now you can finally enjoy it.

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 02:05 PM

the phone reps at airborne suck but you will love the airborne deliveryman

ingeniero
Oct 1, 2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by herbsman:
the phone reps at airborne suck but you will love the airborne deliveryman
I think part of the crappy service by Airborne is that they operate with contractors. I've noticed that their vans say underneath the Airborne logo on the door, "Operated" or "Contracted" by so and so company, in small black lettering.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 07:22 PM

I'm in the same boat as far as airball express is concerned. I got the shipped email from apple and used the tracking number over at ABE to see where my order is. First thing I notice is the "Ground" shipping. I bug out since I ordered expedited shipping.
So I call Apple and I get some baritone voiced prick who tells me everything is OK...he is basically lying to me. I'm going to call back and hopefully get a more helpful individual.
( Last edited by Sandbaggins; Oct 1, 2003 at 07:27 PM. )
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 01:30 AM

The stupid tracking number Apple give me for Airborne doesn't even work. It's been 2 days since I got that number. Damn you Apple for using Airborne, and damn you Airborne for being a crappy service and company.

Ming

sorkinesque
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 02:30 AM

got my ipod from airborne the other day. opened the door, took the electronic thing to sign on and while I was writing my name the guy just dropped my ipod on the floor at my feet.

WTF!?!?!

meanwhile DHL (now part of airborne) just got my gf a recovery box for her broken iBook today....almost three weeks after the initial call to applecare. i wonder how long it'll take for them to send someone by to pick it up.

someone from corporate executive relations responded to my e-mail to [email protected]. we spoke over the phone. never did i hear two simple words "i'm sorry" - never any sign that apple takes some responsibility for their failures to live up to the agreements they have entered into. just the same strategy of repeat the same thing over and over again in as condescending a manner as possible until the 'customer' gives up.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 07:54 AM

I was so happy to get it, I nearly kissed the delivery Guy, he saw that look and said, another mac user. Too bad it wasn't a delivery woman.

So far its been great, I did have a couple of Kernal Panics but they may be related to calibrating the battery and pulling my backups off of my other computer at the same time. Both times I was copying items from the library folder into a temp folder on my new baby and the battery was down to 2%. Other then those two KPs its fantastic.

Mike

naevity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 10:17 AM

Ive been lurking here awhile, but i had to register so I could post my recent experience with airborne/apple.

I ordered a bto 15" on the 23rd with printer and 20gb ipod, 2nd day shipping. Printer shipped on the 24th via fedex, arrived on the 25th. Ipod shipped on the friday the 26th (like it said it would) from china. I get the tracking number and start tracking, ive wanted one of these since the first 5gb ones.

Monday comes, no new info. Tuesday comes, no new info...but i did get a nice email from apple saying there was a problem authorizing payment for my laptop. I call them up cause that was the day mine was supposed to ship., they say everything is ok. 5 min later i get the same email worded differently. I call my credit card company, they said they approved apples charge on the 27th, but they tried to charge 2 more times, hence those emails. I call apple back, wait 40 min on hold, talk to someone and they say, everything is ok, your order is getting ready to ship. Later that night i get an email saying your order has been delayed till 10/7. I called them back again, saying "i was told my order was ready to ship and i get this email" They explain that if they are going to miss the original ship date, they send out that email with a large enough window for them...but mine was still schedualed to ship out within 12 hours. The next morning i do get an email saying my laptop has shipped. So, now it is in airborne's hands...which scares me.

Wednesday comes and goes without any update on my ipod. I called airborne last night and the lady tells me it has been delayed. I call this morning and this lady tells me that it is still in transit and hasnt reached the US yet! I call apple complaining about paying for 2 day shipping and waiting 6 days so far. He said it definatly should have arrived by now and checks something. Then he comes back and tells me my ipod has been in customs, in IL, since the 28th. He did refund my shipping charge which was great, but still could not tell me when mine would arrive. I finally call back airborne saying where is my package, the guy says it is still in transit. I explain to him that it has been in customs since the 28th. He said that sometimes if the shipper doesnt call customs, or, and i quote "if there are dues...due" then customs can hold them indefinatly. I have checked around the reference numbers around mine, and for about 100 numbers below and above, none have reached their destination...some waaay above have, but nothing around mine. most were delivered within 3-4 days, mine has been in customs that long.

im so frustrated i dont know what to do. At least i got my shipping charges back...hopefully my powerbook has a safer trip home, its my first mac and i reaaaaaly want this to be a good experience from the start, but airborne is leaving me with a sick feeling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules