Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" Powerbook 1.67 Dual Layer SD memory question/trouble?

15" Powerbook 1.67 Dual Layer SD memory question/trouble?
pinktank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2006, 11:07 PM

I recently purchased a refurbished Powerbook 15" and it shipped with stock 512mb of ram. I purchased two new 1gb Mushkin ddr2 sodimms to max out the memory config of this new laptop. After the install, the laptop boots fine and both sodimms are read as the about this computer shows total memory of 2gb. When I check the system profiler it shows one sodimm is running at pc-4200 and the other running at pc-3200. i swapped the sodimms and the same result, one is running slower. Out of frustration, i put the original 512mb sodimm that shipped with the computer in with each of the Muskins and found one to be stuck at pc-3200 so i sent it back for a new one. GUESS WHAT? THE NEW 1GB SODIMM DOES THE EXACT SAME THING! I am more frustrated then I ever thought i would be with this laptop since i find it so close to being perfect. Can anyone tell me if their identical revision Powerbook does the same as mine when loaded with matching 1gb sodimms? I would appreciate the feedback.

Mark

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2006, 11:43 PM

Since the PowerBook only runs the memory at PC2-2700 (DDR2-333), it doesn't matter much from a performance perspective. But if the vendor shipped the wrong part, you should at least get the difference in price back.

pinktank  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 12:27 AM

I have checked the part number on each of the Mushkin sodimms and they match what is listed on the Mushkin website. It just struck me odd that when I used one of the Mushkin sodimms and the stock apple ram, the 1.5gb was listed as each being pc-4200, but when both 1gb sodimms are installed, only one is listed at the specified spec while the other seems underclocked for some reason. I feel foolish sending the other sodimm back thinking there was something wrong with it while this "replacement" behaves the same way.

Mark
( Last edited by cagljevic; Apr 27, 2006 at 10:34 AM. )

pinktank  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2006, 10:33 AM

Anyone out there with the same revision Powerbook that has 2gb of ram installed? I'm sure with all the artists out there someone must have this same setup... If you exist can you varify the memory speeds so I can know if there is something not functioning properly. The Powerbook works fine otherwise, I would just like to get this taken care of while its under the warrenty. Thanks.

Mark
( Last edited by cagljevic; Apr 27, 2006 at 09:25 PM. )

pinktank  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2006, 02:05 PM

Just incase anyone was curious, I tried booting with just the replacement 1gb sodimm installed and I got a kernel panic error at the start with the apple logo along with cryptic text. when using the other 1gb sodimm there was no error, so I am sending both mushkin sodimm modules back for ocz brand equivalents. I will post an update to once i get the replacement ocz sodimms to see if they will run at the specified speeds.

Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules