Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy a MBP now or wait?

Buy a MBP now or wait?
TempleGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 08:10 AM

I'm thinking of buying a new MBP 2.0 or 2.16 but after reading about so many problems maybe I should just wait for the new MBP to be released.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 08:16 AM

This sort of question has been asked way too many times...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2006, 11:16 AM

If you've waited this long, I'd wait another 2 months to pick up Merom ("free" 20-30% performance improvement) and hope they resolve the whine with a new logic board revision.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2006, 11:25 AM

I'm waiting until Merom, but then I have a 1.67GHz PowerBook, so I can afford to wait.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 11:36 AM

You should wait at least two more generations, because rumor has it that Apple will even furter improve the MBP line.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
You should wait at least two more generations, because rumor has it that Apple will even furter improve the MBP line.
Using that logic you should wait indefinately since Apple will "probably" continue to offer more performance improvements. I'd suggest to wait until Merom comes out and jump in.

Peabo
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 12:42 PM

I think andreas was being sarcastic :]
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 02:52 PM

Really?! I find that extremely hard to believe, actually.

(BTW: 1.67 PowerBook user here, and waiting for Merom as well )
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by workerbee
Really?! I find that extremely hard to believe, actually.

(BTW: 1.67 PowerBook user here, and waiting for Merom as well )
Given that you are a G4 owner, I'm not convinced that's sarcasm.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Given that you are a G4 owner, I'm not convinced that's sarcasm.
HEY! No snide remarks!

(Actually, the reason I didn't buy the MBP is the missing FW800 port. I love my FW800 disks. And Intels next gen CPUs look really nice. I wonder if the Apple Store being down doesn't mean that Apple is introducing Woodcrest XServes today...

Jason
Jun 26, 2006, 12:45 PM

umm...it comes down to how badly you want the machine! personally I want a MBP very badly! and i've been waiting ever since the MBPs have been released, so the earlier i get one the better. Sure waiting for the meron might be a bit of an advantage, but then again, something else will come out after the meron, or they will boost the speeds of it. Lets be realistic, we have moved into intel land, these guys will bring out new chips with better speeds quite regularly.

So for me, will i wait? No! i've ordered my MBP! (only ordered it today)

Although, if you really want one now, why not check out the refurbished models? Personally i'm too superficial about little scratches or dents to ever buy a refurbished model. Mind you, maybe buying the previous 1.8 Ghz model at a lower price might sweeten the deal for you!

It's up to you, at the end of the day i think it comes down to how much you really need that machine right now, or how long you have been waiting for, and whether or not you have been waiting that long, that waiting another day just seems pointless! (like myself)

Happy shopping my friend! =)
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

Ramza
Jun 26, 2006, 03:39 PM

Personally, I'm considering waiting for Merom for possible fixes for the whining and heat, and perhaps even the variable speed GPU that the 17" MBP utilizes (although it might just be software..?).
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 04:23 PM

Of course, another reason for waiting and putting up with what mduell seems to consider to be astone age (or worse) CPU, is that my Macromedia Studio 8 and Adobe CS 2 would not run faster on any new MBP as far as I know. VPC vs. Parallels, of course, is quite a different thing, though.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2006, 04:58 PM

Of course, another reason for waiting and putting up with what mduell seems to consider to be astone age (or worse) CPU, is that my Macromedia Studio 8 and Adobe CS 2 would not run faster on any new MBP as far as I know. VPC vs. Parallels, of course, is quite a different thing, though.
They would quite a bit faster if you booted that shiny new MBP into Windows.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 01:50 PM

Pervert!

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2006, 06:15 AM

i'd wait. intel jsut released the 2.33ghz core duo chip and i'm expecting an update within the next few days.

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2006, 12:20 AM

Owner of an RevA TiBook here waiting for the next 15" MBP! Should be quite a performance leap for me! 500 MHz G4 to what-are-we-on-now?
Semper Fi

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 03:03 AM

Thats going to be a nice upgrade! I went from a G4 450 to a PM Dual 2GHz, that was a crazy upgrade.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

graphics84
Senior User
Jul 3, 2006, 09:13 PM

well I'm sporting a Ti 1gig... considering the macbook now while I can spring for it but.. after buy ing a Ti 450 (DOG) I'm a little leery about the first gen of any model...

I also need to run Photoshop exclusively... and The Mac Genius's told me I wouldn't feel a speed bump from my Ti to a Intel Mac until Adobe pulls their head out of their arse and gives a universal build (not an exact quote).. but I found that not to be true experimenting with a friends (big spped bump regardless).

so I may wait for that intel processor speed bump then do it

tintin220
Jul 7, 2006, 10:38 PM

i need cs3 to be native (hence the wait) which is why im sticking to my ppc 1.67 for now. i hate paying for the upgrades... adobe will be the death of me.

besides, merom will be a big boost for the next line of mbps, hopefully fw 800 will be included (is there not one now because its being used internally for the isight?) which i need for my external hd, dual layer superdrive (blueray perhaps?), and supposedly support (still only mere rumours) for up to 4gb ram. which would own.

graphics84
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 11:31 PM

yeah what you said is pretty awesoem but I hait to get int he perpetual waiting for the better thing trap... been there

so I think I'm waiting till the next upgrade and then I dive in.

skucera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 12:07 AM

Never buy a new mac the month before one of the major Apple Expos! You're just asking to be out of date before you restart your computer for the first time. Wait for the next revision announcment, and then either buy the brand-spankin' new one, or get the model that just got replaced on clearance.

graphics84
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 12:15 AM

yeah I know.. but I need one by August 10th or so.. and Photoshop dosen't even take advantage of the better video card.

I'm going to get a Mac Book 13" and live with it for a year until the new stuff comes out

it's way faster than my Titanium anyway (tried one yesterday with Photoshop CS 2)

flukewurm
Jul 11, 2006, 01:29 AM

i do hope they move away from frikin ALUMINUM for their new enclosures. i much prefer the tough as nails plastic of the macbook/ibook.

RzinDubs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 05:53 AM

I need a Memron by September 16th

Hey Apple, , hook me up

Sakino
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RzinDubs
I need a Memron by September 16th

Hey Apple, , hook me up

If you are returning/attending school and you can make the wait I would look into a rental option. Everyone is always concerned about Apple releasing a new powerbook right around the start of college. Basically if that update in performance is that much to you, look into geting a rental for a month or two. If not then just buy what is out at the time.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2006, 01:53 PM

a small whine is hardly a reason for me to not buy a computer thats way faster than any powerbook before it. i just got a mbp a few days ago and am very happy with it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

RzinDubs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 09:15 PM

Yes but that is the last day that the Ipod special will be on. Either way, I will be more than happy with whatever is out at that time. Maybe even buy the clearence model if it is available. Personally, I don't take the analyst reports very seriously and would expect apple to make their products good value considering the health of their stock.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 09:27 PM

to buy or not to buy...? here comes the question again. and my answer still the same: WAIT. it is around the corner... just wait.
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2006, 09:42 PM

I'm waiting...and hoping August provides a nicely upgraded MBP.

Come on Steve, don't make us wait till Jan 07.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2006, 06:27 AM

I want there to be a new case, as how else is the average person in Starbucks meant to know I have a new powerbook, if it looks the same as my old one?
I have Mac

Jason
Jul 12, 2006, 08:53 AM

I'm no apple expert, although i get the feeling that at WWDC we will be seeing a Mac Pro and maybe a new keyboard and hopefully some sort of redesigned Mighty Mouse. If i was a betting man (which im usually not) I wouldn't be putting my money on a new MBP coming out. Maybe a speed increase will come out a few months later down the track, something like september. I just can't see apple releasing a redesigned Powermac - Mac Pro, and a newly designed MBP. The publicity of both machines would take away from each other!
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 08:55 AM

WAIT!
When the MBP's came out I sold my who setup and bought a used Powerbook off ebay to do me over, now I'm excited!
MEROOOOOOOOOOM!!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

Jason
Jul 12, 2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by praterkeith
WAIT!
When the MBP's came out I sold my who setup and bought a used Powerbook off ebay to do me over, now I'm excited!
MEROOOOOOOOOOM!!

How much money did you lose when you sold your whole set up?

Also i guess it depends on whether you need a MBP right now, or if you just want one.

You'll soon figure out how what the best option for you is!

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 06:11 PM

Of course Merom is a must, it will set a new baseline. Integer is much faster, it has a bigger cache, and it is lower power and theerfore lower heat. Of course, to distinguish the new MBPro in other ways, we will have to see a 160G drive as part of the build-to-order. For me it can't come a moment too soon, as my 60G drive is within a hundred MB of full. On Wondiws this wouldn't haev worked at all, but OS/X lets me do it. Thanks for that, but can I hold out two more months? Yes I can, and the wait will be well worth it. This from a man who just popped a 1440x900 flat panel onto a Cube and revivified it to the Nth degree.

You will have to struggle alorg for a couple of months before CS3 makes it native, but you will wait for the Merom MBPro, because as a Mac user YOU ARE A VALUE BUYER. And Adobe will make it worth your while. Just my opnion of course, but it's pretty much always been true before.
a penny here a penny there, pretty soon you're talking two cents

RzinDubs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 07:58 PM

Does anyone think that the new Merom PB will be lower in price then the current lineup. What frustrates me is the large difference in price between the 128MB and 256MB VRAM 15" PB. Originally, I wanted a PB, then I thought about the lower price MB. When I saw the new MB, I was so dissapointed, I hated the small widescreen display. Well, I hope we will be justified soon.

crzdc0l0mbian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 12:43 AM

Does anyone think that the new Merom PB will be lower in price then the current lineup. What frustrates me is the large difference in price between the 128MB and 256MB VRAM 15" PB. Originally, I wanted a PB, then I thought about the lower price MB. When I saw the new MB, I was so dissapointed, I hated the small widescreen display. Well, I hope we will be justified soon.
when do u think the new ones will come out because i need one b4 Sept 10th when school starts again... i really want a mac because I am tired of MS, I was thinking of getting a Sony with linux because i heard that os is really good. The new macs just seem to have so many problems like over heating, my friend works at best buy and said alot have been returned because it just gets way to hot.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jason
How much money did you lose when you sold your whole set up?

Also i guess it depends on whether you need a MBP right now, or if you just want one.

You'll soon figure out how what the best option for you is!

Actually, I evened out. I didn't want the Mini and display with all of the accessories sitting around all summer while I traveled, So I decided to get something that will get more use until the revisions!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 07:22 AM

Sorry, but you get what you pay for. Release of Merom based 'books will broaden the laptop line and the price of existing 'books will fall a bit. We may even see single core iBooks at the lowest end. But we will not see the higher end at a low price.

You state that you want a "256MB VRAM 15" PB." PBs are G4s, and if that is what you want then your chances are good when the Merom-based laptops come out. I expect that there are quite a few graphics pros like me who will trading up from their 1.67 GHz 15" G4 PBs as soon as the high end Merom MBPS become available.

If what you really want is a higher powered MBP then expect to have to pay at the higher end.

-Allen Wicks

graphics84
Senior User
Jul 13, 2006, 07:45 AM

the VRAM debate is interesting but if your a graphics user does it really matter? From my understanding Photoshop doesn't even use the video cards at all... so the MacBook and MBP are pretty comparable in power if not in price for a graphics user such as myself (acknowledged video games are another mater but I could care less)

Seems in my case where I just need a photoshop platform (that's faster than my 1gig G4 even through roseta) and $1500 MB is an awesome deal till the new chipsets come out.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 12:06 PM

photoshop can run just as well with only 32mb, worry bout gpu when you start worrying about WoW.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

RzinDubs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 02:46 AM

Sierra Dragom,

Sorry I meant MacBookPro, not PB.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
PBs are G4s (...)
... and iBooks have always been and will always be single-core

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2006, 05:40 AM

... and iBooks have always been and will always be single-core

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2006, 06:00 PM

BOT I'd wait. Rumor is that they are getting a new case/facelift soon.
But you know how rumors are.
The Religious Right is neither.

RajivRai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 09:01 AM

Well I hope we atleast hear some good new by august. it would be nice to see the meroms in august but I have my doubts(I hope my doubts are wrong)

pinktank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 12:00 PM

if it means anything to you, If I didnt have to buy a mbp now due to my colleges request, I'd wait for the merom

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2006, 11:26 PM

OK. I want to jump in the fray here. I've been threatening to get a MBP for weeks now. I am waiting for my state's tax free holiday- which unfortunately is over one day prior to WWDC.

But, if WWDC brings a Merom announcement- I'll probably forego the tax savings. What do all my fellow rumor mongers think about today's announced speculation about Merom coming in August?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2006, 12:58 AM

I'd expect Merom in a rev B MBP by then end of September. Possibly earlier, but not in time for WWDC.

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2006, 08:18 AM

C'mon Simon, give me some hope! Anyone out there willing to foster some false hope for me?

Forum Links
Forum Rules