Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Kracking Remote Access password

Kracking Remote Access password
Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 05:06 AM

Somehow I need to wrangle the password for my dialup account out of the Remote Access prefs. This is for my own account---I've already tried dealing with my ISP (literally the only one in town---rural north dakota), but they've been quite unhelpful basically asking me to close the account and open a new one.

Any ideas?

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 12:45 PM

If you truly don't know the password, then you're out of luck.

Most password crackers (I don't know of one specifically for Remote Access) work on a best-fit process of elimination - that is they don't specifically tell you what the password is, but give you a list of possibilities based on common encryption techniques and dictionaries. You then have to pass through the list, trying each option until you get a hit.

In the case of a dialup account, that means logging into the ISP with each possible password combo until you successfully log in - by which time any ISP worth anything would have disabled the account due to too many incorrect logins (a common security process).

Any ISP, however, has to be able to change a user's password. There isn't an operating system in the world that doesn't allow an administrator to change a user's password.

If they're unwilling/unable to do this for you then there's some other reason why - maybe they don't believe you're the owner of the account?
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Herr Newton  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Camelot:
<STRONG>If they're unwilling/unable to do this for you then there's some other reason why - maybe they don't believe you're the owner of the account?</STRONG>
No, they're just either indifferent or incompetent --- all attempts at contacting them have been to no avail. Email messages, voice mail, talking to their receptionist, etc. --- nadda.

kido
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 05:12 PM

this is untested, but it might work.

if you are using a connection script to connect to the isp, make a backup of it and then open the original in a text editor and try using ^p before or after the authentication step and then turning logging on. in other words, usually the script has steps like waitfor "Username:" 'write ^u\13' waitfor 'Password:' write "^p\13" waitfor "tip&gt;" write "ppp\13", etc. and the username step and tip steps are usually echoed to the screen, so it might work if you change the later ppp step to ^p and then look over the log.

just an idea.

Tom_O
Jan 7, 2002, 09:30 PM

<font color = green>Herr Newton</font> - If you are running Eudora (hopefully an older version 4.xx) and your password was the same for your email, then I can write a script that will retrieve your password. &nbsp; That is the only solution I can think of.

<font color = blue>Tom</font>

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 10:10 PM

extending the PPP login script idea...

If you have two Macs w/ modems and phone lines, you might try setting your Mac to dial the other Mac rather than your ISP.

Then running some communications software on the second Mac, you'll be able to see what text your Mac sends to the ISP during the login process.

Obviously the login won't work, but you might be able to determine the password being sent.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules