Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Does AVG Anti-Virus Free just suck?

Does AVG Anti-Virus Free just suck?
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2009, 12:54 PM

Okay, so I've got Windows XP running in a VMWare Fusion VM, and I've got AVG Anti-Virus Free installed on it, and it's driving me up a wall. I've gone into the advanced settings, then to Schedules -> Virus database update schedule, and also to Schedules -> Program update schedule, and I've checked everything in there - "Enable this task", "Run on computer startup if task has been missed", "Run even if computer is in low power mode", and "Run the update again as soon as the internet connection is available" for both of them. Regardless, when I start up Windows XP in the VM, it still pops up one of those stupid balloons telling me AVG Free is out of date, causing me to have to go launch the app and update the definitions manually. Is there anything I'm missing, or does this app's auto-update feature just not work properly?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

joe
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2009, 02:44 PM

You're definitely missing something. I FreeAVG on my XP partition and Virtual Disks - not to mention all my PC friends. Never had a problem with auto-updates. Maybe you're using a setting in Fusion that automatically resets the windows disc to an earlier state - maybe it's a network startup delay. I'm using Parallels but I don't see why that would make a diff.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2009, 02:57 PM

It's not resetting the disk image to an earlier state - I can add and remove files and they stay the way I left them. I don't think it could be a delayed network startup either, because without the network, how could AVG Free determine that newer updates are available in the first place?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 04:17 PM

Welcome to the wondrous world of Windows

-t

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks. How's life in the lovely land of alliteration?

Seriously, anyone got any idea what could be causing this?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2009, 05:53 PM

Before I dug too deep for a root cause, I'd just reinstall AVG. It sounds like something didn't install correctly (this IS Windows after all, and that does happen), and whether it's a missing file, a DLL that's corrupt or just some sort of setting in the Registry that didn't "take," it's a lot easier to reinstall and let the installer fix it than to try to puzzle it out.

I use ClamAV on my Parallels XP VM. It seemed to be simpler, easier and cleaner.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2009, 11:33 AM

AVG Free is great...if you hurry, Spoofee.com has Kaspersky AV 2009 for free after rebate.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2009, 06:11 PM

Windows will pop up and moan for the first 10 minutes before AVG downloads and installs its update. Give it time.

If it did the update as soon as Windows logged in (like 7.5), everyone would moan it slowed down your boot process too much, and 7.5 was a great annoyance for that too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules