Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Arrrrrgh - Apple keyboard water-damaged. Suggestions?

Arrrrrgh - Apple keyboard water-damaged. Suggestions?
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2010, 05:53 AM

Okay, like an idiot, I got water on my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (the full-sized one with the clear base), and now the forward delete key and a few of the Fkeys don't work. Is it worth it trying to take one of these apart to try to salvage it, or should I just decide that after 5 years of faithful service, this keyboard probably deserves a retirement? And if the latter, does anyone know of any decent Bluetooth keyboards out there that have a Mac layout?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2010, 06:35 AM

I think that would depend on a couple of things. First, are any of the aluminum keyboards thick enough for anything but key switches being actually under the keys? I don't think so. That would put almost all of the electronics under the "keyboard support" at the back-and may mean that liquid on the keys (even the F-keys) isn't a death sentence. That's the theory...

I'd take it apart anyway, just to see. Get it disassembled enough to see where the water was, where the real circuitry is, and then make your decision based on what you actually see. With a soft toothbrush and a bottle of high-concentration rubbing alcohol, you can very successfully clean off key switches and even some intrusion onto circuits.

Of course if you find out that all the guts are under the keys and it's hopeless, you're only out a little time to disassemble the keyboard, and in any case you can pass on to the rest of us how these keyboards are put together... Think of it as research.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2010, 06:44 AM

This isn't the aluminum keyboard, it's the older one, with the clear plastic base. You know, the good one. The one I can't easily replace because Apple doesn't make it anymore.

I'm going to do the old trick of taking the batteries out, popping the caps off the non-working keys, pointing an electric fan at the damaged area overnight, and then trying it tomorrow to see if it works. If that doesn't work, I might try taking it apart, but I'm a little crunched right now and don't know if I'll be able to find the time for it. I sure wish I hadn't gotten this thing wet.

In case I have to replace this thing, are there any Bluetooth keyboards out there that are as good as the old Apple ones were? I want to have the full-size keyboard with the num pad and everything, and having comfortable keys and using AA batteries (instead of those clunky chargers or docks that some use) would be nice too.

edit: the electric fan trick worked, and now my forward delete key works again, so it looks like I'm not going to have to dissect this thing after all. Phew!
( Last edited by CharlesS; Oct 22, 2010 at 02:23 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2010, 05:33 PM

Glad you got it fixed, but in truth those keyboards weren't all that great anyway. Here's what you need:

Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard

I'm typing on one right now.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2010, 07:12 PM

I don't get how you guys type on those big clunky keyboards. The less key travel the better for me. I'd be happy with no key travel. Just project a keyboard onto my desk...

reader50
Administrator
Oct 22, 2010, 09:13 PM

Another vote for Matias Tactile Pro - I'm typing on the original version.

Minimal travel ending in a hard stop might contribute to finger problems like carpal tunnel syndrome. That's been my suspicion for awhile, and besides the greater travel contributes to finger exercises. Soon I will be able to press bigger buttons than you flat-keyboard wimps!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
This isn't the aluminum keyboard, it's the older one, with the clear plastic base. You know, the good one.
I missed that part of your description. I like the clear base keyboards-they're more substantial feeling, and as you say the keys feel like you're doing something when you hit them. I like my aluminum keyboard, but it did take a lot of getting used to because it's so thin and light...and mine is the wired version.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2010, 10:48 PM

I'd be willing to give the aluminum keyboard a chance if they included the full keypad, page up / page down keys, etc. The Bluetooth keyboard Apple ships seems indistinguishable from the keyboard that's already built into my MBP both in terms of layout and physical mechanism, so it seems to me like I might as well just use that instead of buying an external version of the same thing.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Another vote for Matias Tactile Pro - I'm typing on the original version.

Minimal travel ending in a hard stop might contribute to finger problems like carpal tunnel syndrome. That's been my suspicion for awhile, and besides the greater travel contributes to finger exercises. Soon I will be able to press bigger buttons than you flat-keyboard wimps!
My experience is totally different. Since I got the wireless aluminum keyboard and magic mouse I have zero wrist and finger joint pain. And as I've stated before, the ganglion cyst that I'd have for years is gone. I'm a total convert.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 23, 2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I'd be willing to give the aluminum keyboard a chance if they included the full keypad, page up / page down keys, etc. The Bluetooth keyboard Apple ships seems indistinguishable from the keyboard that's already built into my MBP both in terms of layout and physical mechanism, so it seems to me like I might as well just use that instead of buying an external version of the same thing.
Yeah, no value added there. My Al keyboard came with my iMac, but it's the wired, full-layout board, so it's got everything I need. And it looks like Apple has a "wired, full-size" keyboard and a "wireless, laptop-equivalent keyboard" as their only options. Not optimal for anyone, I think.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2010, 02:55 PM

It is optimal for iPad users, I'd think. It's small and portable enough that it would probably be exactly what you'd want for that sort of thing. On a laptop, though, I've already got that keyboard. It is a shame that there's not a full-size aluminum Bluetooth keyboard — it wouldn't be perfectly portable, but it would be more so than my clear plastic one.

Interestingly, Matias appears to make a folding almost-full size keyboard. It looks kind of neat.

Amazon.com: Matias Bluetooth Folding Keyboard for MAC: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

It's not a completely standard layout — some keys are skinny, the page-up/page-down keys are strangely placed, but all the keys look to be there except for Caps Lock (which, honestly, is probably an improvement since 99% of the time that key is pressed it's probably by accident). I wonder how well it works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules