Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 17" 1.25GHz strange crash after a while

iMac 17" 1.25GHz strange crash after a while
jonsmith34
Apr 2, 2006, 10:29 AM

Hello, has anybody any idea why my iMac 17" 1.25GHz w/ 768MB, Airport Card and running Mac Os X 10.4.5 has started to crash recently oddly. When I boot the machine and log in, it runs fine for a while, and then just suddenly something makes this odd noise like the drive or DVD- drive starting up or something and then screen is filled with lines with different colors and gradients.

After this, nothing responds, and the colors and patterns slowly like fade or change. This has not happened before. Then, sometimes when I try to reboot the machine, it locks at the startup and doesn't event boot.

Before of these crashes, my iMac booting process has been noticeably slower than before. Mac Os X boots normally, but I mean the part where the screen is white and the round whirly thing keeps rotating.

I have ran the Apple hardware test and done the long testing process, and everything was fine according to it. Any idea what's happening here? System logs don't show anything related to the crash, and I dont have any third party drivers or hardware that might cause this..

All help or hints are greatly appreciated! I'll have to test later today if the same thing happens when I run Ubuntu 5.10 LiveCD..

Forum Links
Forum Rules