Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Passwords for Networking?

Passwords for Networking?
Moke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2004, 09:23 PM

I am trying to share files between a G4 desktop and a 17' G4 laptop both using Panther 10.3.2

The laptop I purchased used but the owner gave me his password which does not seem to work for accessing the Desktop. The Desktop computer I don't remember giving a password but it asks for one. I have gone into System Prefs and Accounts on both units and tried to change the password for me as I am listed as the administrator. I have AppleTalk and File sharing enabled on both units and they are connected directly to each other by a ethernet cross over cable. I can see the other computer on the network but it won't let me in because it says the password (s) are incorrect. No, I'm not a hacker I just want to trade some files between these two units without having to burn a DVD. Any help appreciated.
Mike

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 11:25 PM

You do understand that when you are on one computer accessing a remote file server on another computer, that you enter a user account name and password valid on the remote server computer, not a password valid on your local system?

For example, when you are working on the laptop trying to access files on the desktop, and the laptop's "Connect to server" prompts you for a user account name and password, you should enter a user account name and password that are valid on the desktop that you are connecting to, not a user and password for the laptop.

Moke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2004, 11:46 PM

Carlson,
Thanks for the reply. Acutally I've tried it both ways to no avail. I can log in as a guest without a password but then of course I can't grab any files because I lack permission/authentification. How do I start over.? How do I create new passwords (or no passwords) for each computer to be used by the network?

I've got both computers (and a couple of PC's) all sharing a satellite (DirecWay) internet connectiion using an Airport Extreme Base Station. I've tried to get the Mac laptop and Desktop sharing files using the Airport but among other problems I often can only get as far as the pass word problem.....

Mike

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 01:21 PM

You can change the password of an account with the System Preferences, "My Account" pane. Just click the "Change ..." button next to "My password". You will need to also provide your current password to authorize the change, as well as the new password.

(if the password is lost entirely, you can reset the password with the panther installation CD. Boot from the CD by starting with the "C" key held down. Then select "Reset password". )

By the way, when I connect to a Mac server, the user account name I entered in the password dialog is always the short name of the account, not the long name. For example, if the account belongs to "John Smith", the accounts short name is probably something like "johnsm" . I always enter the latter.

Bogartte
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2004, 12:24 PM

Yes, this is a problem. I've changed my password via the CD, and still cannot open my other computer via networking. Hi, Carlson! So, seems I need to use the password of the other computer (OS 9) I am trying to open in OS X... The prompt for password/authentication defaults for OS X with the ID and asks for password, so I've been trying to use the OS X password... which doesn't work. Hmm...

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 12:34 PM

If you want to access a remote computer, you need to enter the user name/pass for the computer you are connecting TO, not from.

Forum Links
Forum Rules