Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Designer Frustrations

Designer Frustrations
production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 05:08 PM

Situation:

I coordinate brochures on a regular bases. They are usually based on templates, but we are given some creative license. I have a few designers that I love (I give them as much of the brochure as I can, and throw it back to me in whatever form it's at [perhaps missing photos, missing copy, etc.] with all dummy copy/images clearly marked.

Is it too much to ask a designer to give me a PDF of an incomplete project? I have some designers that nearly refuse to provide PDF outputs until they receive final copy/images.

My question... am I being unrealistic?

Also, in 2006... is it too much to ask for PDFs at just about any point without the designer getting overly aggravated? Both Quark and InDesign can output PDFs with a few clicks... but some of my designers still struggle with the concept!

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator View Post
Is it too much to ask a designer to give me a PDF of an incomplete project? I have some designers that nearly refuse to provide PDF outputs until they receive final copy/images.
absolutely not. you should expect a pdf at any point you so choose. if nothing else you should be allowed the opportunity to ensure your hired guns are on the right track. they aren't painting the sistine chapel, ferchristssake.

My question... am I being unrealistic?
nope, you're being a responsible business person. they should be too. if not, drop 'em. seriously. there's too much competition in the marketplace to endure that kind of crap.

Also, in 2006... is it too much to ask for PDFs at just about any point without the designer getting overly aggravated? Both Quark and InDesign can output PDFs with a few clicks... but some of my designers still struggle with the concept!
if they can't create pdfs they're not worth your time or money. it's a reasonable expectation in this day.

andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2006, 03:28 PM

I would suspect any designer would be reluctant to send a PDF of an incomplete pass, worrying that it would look half-finished and reflect poorly on them. We give our clients "design passes" which is a rough cover/spread of the design, but rarely show passes without complete text. It's hardly worth it to flow the text, arrange pages, kill widows, adjust kerning, blah blah, and then get the final text and have to do it all again. If you are giving the designer the template, I'm not sure why you'd need a design pass... Then also, we are internal and are trying to save costs--the fewer passes, the less time/cost.

but the PDF thing is easy. Maybe they're still using Quark in OS9?

production_coordinator  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I would suspect any designer would be reluctant to send a PDF of an incomplete pass, worrying that it would look half-finished and reflect poorly on them. We give our clients "design passes" which is a rough cover/spread of the design, but rarely show passes without complete text. It's hardly worth it to flow the text, arrange pages, kill widows, adjust kerning, blah blah, and then get the final text and have to do it all again. If you are giving the designer the template, I'm not sure why you'd need a design pass... Then also, we are internal and are trying to save costs--the fewer passes, the less time/cost.

but the PDF thing is easy. Maybe they're still using Quark in OS9?
I'm working from a template much of the time, so it's not like my stuff is "original." I realize it's not fun to be given new copy three or more times in Word, but sometimes it is what it is.

I can accept not wanting it to look half-finished, but if I ask for a rough PDF, I want a rough PDF. I'm the client and should get what I want.

That being said, I'm not a jerk. I wouldn't make such a request of a new designer without having a little "one on one" so they didn't feel pressured to have a final piece. I set the expectation that the design isn't complete... and I defend them when my peers question their design.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 05:02 PM

I'm working from a template much of the time, so it's not like my stuff is "original." I realize it's not fun to be given new copy three or more times in Word, but sometimes it is what it is.

I can accept not wanting it to look half-finished, but if I ask for a rough PDF, I want a rough PDF. I'm the client and should get what I want.

That being said, I'm not a jerk. I wouldn't make such a request of a new designer without having a little "one on one" so they didn't feel pressured to have a final piece. I set the expectation that the design isn't complete... and I defend them when my peers question their design.
when i'm posed with such a request i put a large, unmistakable slug with the words 'work in progress' in a noticable yet unobtrusive spot. that way there's no mistaking it for a completed file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules