Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Post your favorite WebApps for iPhone/iPod Touch

Post your favorite WebApps for iPhone/iPod Touch
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 02:25 PM

I think there was a thread about this a while ago but I couldn't find it...

Apple has it's own webapp directory, but it's got so much junk in it it's hard to wade through to find some actual useful webapps. I know these will probably outdated in a few weeks with the SDK, but I'm not anticipating any good Apps out of the SDK for a few weeks or so, so it looks like we're stuck with webapps for at least another couple of months.

So to start out the list:
Fandango WebApp - Best looking movie listing I have seen for the phone... my only problem with it is when you add the icon to your home screen, for some reason fandango doesn't have a custom icon! kind of annoying, as it is the ONLY icon on my phone that is just the website (it would look so much cooler with the orange fandango "F")

Mile Marker - Pretty cool gas tracking Application. Just got it about a month ago, and finally did my second fill-up yesterday (they can't tell you MPG or anything after only 1 entry...) Seems pretty cool so far, not an app for your front screen obviously, but I have mine tucked away on the second page and I plan to use it everytime I fill up my car from now on.

Google - Obviously google's webapp. If you have Gmail, it really is a pretty cool thing to have... I need to get it set up with google reader etc., because as of right now I don't really have anything set up for it. Seems like it could be useful for many people though.

Digg for iPhone - For anyone who likes to read Digg, this is a great webapp... perfectly formatted for the phone, couldn't ask for anything more

SeeqPod - There was a thread about this site debating the legality of it a while back... Regardless, it's still pretty cool to be able to think of ANY particular song, and about 5 seconds later have it playing on your iPhone.

Others:
Bank of America
Nice looking Tip Calculator
BeeJive - Instant Messaging (one of the best IM apps I've seen)

So what is everyone else putting on their home screens?

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2008, 03:40 PM

I have:

Remember The Milk
Nice to-do list that I use.

The New York Times
I like the way the news is formatted nicely for the iphone, with a minimum of images.

pogonotes.com/iphone
Nice way to share notes between my iphone and computer.

I've mostly moved to using web apps for everything, because I can. I don't need to run pro software that others use, and this way everything is "synchronized" between my deskop/iPhone if you know what I mean.

I use the Google apps mentioned above, and am a big fan of Digg for diversions...

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 06:52 PM

Nirvino
I like the idea of Nirvino but based on recent experience, I wonder about the accruacy of the content.

IMDb Mobile
'nuf said

iConvert
Pretty much all the conversion I'll ever need.

QS

seivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2008, 06:04 PM

how well does gmail work on the ipod touch ? my g/f is looking at getting one to work with her emails whilst at work, so she doesnt have to go to the computer.

Also if we share an internet connection from a macbook via creating a new wifi network and allowing internet sharing in preferences, the ipod touch will be able to connect to that no dramas? it'll be sharing a vodaphone wireless broadband usb modems connection.

PaperNotes
Feb 21, 2008, 07:42 AM

Gmail has a specially formatted page for the iPhone/Touch that works perfect but even better is the Mail app that is on the device that supports IMAP by default and multiple providers.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2008, 09:18 AM

Facebook

The iPhone Facebook app is probably the best social networking app out right now.

Weather Underground

Jeff Masters' Weather Underground site is just plain awesome, and the iPhone edition, while not as pretty as TWC, is the most functional out there.

During baseball/football season, I like Pickleview (MLB) and FumbleU (NCAAF). There's also Fumbleview, which is NFL.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2008, 04:56 PM

For sports fans:
SportsTap

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by macuser9909 View Post
For sports fans:
SportsTap
Good one! Thanks!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2008, 01:17 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules