Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Hardware recalls - minimum length of time 1 year???

Hardware recalls - minimum length of time 1 year???
chichow
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2011, 12:26 PM

Mods: Please move if in the wrong section.

Apple announced a recall for a 1st gen nano that I happen to have. I am trying to decide whether or not to immediately send it in or wait for a while. I am hoping that if I don't immediately exchange the 1st gen nano, that Apple might run out and I might get an updated one.

The following link lists the current apple recalls
Apple - Support - Battery Exchange + Repair Extension Programs

Based on this other link, Apple seems to have a recall period of at least one year.
http://www.briancometa.com/apple-recalls.html

I am asking the collective wisdom of the forum for verification that recalls are generally at least a year in length if not more...

Thanks!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2011, 12:36 PM

My gut feel is that they probably won't run out. Returned 1st Gen Nanos will likely be refurbished and sent back out with new batteries.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 13, 2011, 02:19 PM

I tried that approach once, with a failed WD 10 GB 5400 drive. Waited until there was only a month left on the warranty, in hopes of getting a bigger one back.

It worked, sort of. They sent back a new-seeming 10 GB 7200 drive. Which I have yet to find a use for.

chichow  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2011, 01:02 AM

I had a 1st gen Macbook Air.

It was a lemon. Brought it back 2x for various issues - such as CPU pegging, overheating, etc.
And when returned from the Apple store, the shell was mating properly.

After the second return, I stuck it out as I felt there was a refresh coming and that refresh would overlap with my Applecare. It was painful though to use the MBA that summer since I had to watch the laptop temperature.

Sure enough after the MBA refresh, when I brought it back to the Apple store...instead of repairing it for the 3rd time, they just gave me the refresh model.

chichow  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2011, 01:07 AM

apparently this was an issue before in Japan and the Japanese received the same original nano

ah well. better than nothing

Forum Links
Forum Rules