Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Major Development on Osama Bin Laden

Major Development on Osama Bin Laden (Page 6)
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2011, 02:58 AM

Obama is smart not to release the photo, for two reasons.

The first reason is simply that it would simply be in bad taste. No matter how you look at it, taking a picture of someone you've killed in combat--no matter how heinous that person might be--and using the photo to gloat about your accomplishment, is crossing the line. The president is making the right call here.

Secondly, from a more cynical standpoint, not releasing the photo is politically smart move. By keeping the photo classified, conspiracy wackos will keep the issue alive. In the same vein as the birthers, the president can maintain a mature, sensible posture vis-a-vis the weirdos who think it is all a hoax.

So, by doing the right thing, the president is also getting an added political bonus. This isn't to say that Obama is withholding the photo for political reasons, however.

In the end, the important fact is that Osama bin Laden is dead, and I think most Americans will recognize this, give Obama credit where it is due, and move on to more important things.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2011, 09:20 AM

It'll get leaked eventually. The Saudis or someone else will want to see it.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 5, 2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Alright, then, what DID you mean when you said "1 down, 2.5 billion to go" when referring to the death of bin laden?
There are probably about another 2.5 billion people on this planet that are evil, brutal, corrupt etc, and they should be eliminated as well. Just killing one bad guy hardly scratches the surface.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
There are probably about another 2.5 billion people on this planet that are evil, brutal, corrupt etc, and they should be eliminated as well. Just killing one bad guy hardly scratches the surface.
Not that I believe for a second that's what you meant, buuuuut....

Currently estimated world population: 6.9 billion.

So over a third of the global population is "evil, brutal, corrupt, etc." on the scale of Osama and should be killed? Good luck defending that one.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 11:58 AM

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 01:28 PM

Complete BS, you meant all Muslims and you know it. At least have the nutsack to man up to your statements.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Complete BS, you meant all Muslims and you know it. At least have the nutsack to man up to your statements.
He must not want to damage his reputation.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2011, 05:23 PM

I declare jihad on BadKosh ALAHLAALALALALAL
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 10:21 PM

That must be one of the lamest back-peddles ever. I was at least hoping you would put *a little* effort into it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2011, 10:34 PM

I guess we're supposed to believe that you did a head count of evil and corrupt people in the world and you came up with the number 2.5 billion, BadKosh?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 10:50 PM

You really just said that?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 12:22 AM

Okay, I'll say it, let's just turn the whole ME into a self-lit, glass bottom swimming pool?

Who here's with me!?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Okay, I'll say it, let's just turn the whole ME into a self-lit, glass bottom swimming pool?

Who here's with me!?

Just wondering, are you a Christian?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 6, 2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post

Nice to know. I'll be ready. I hope you enjoy the 45 rounds as much as I will.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 09:32 AM

You know, you'll never truly fulfill your homicidal mania with such poor ammo discipline.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2011, 09:34 AM

What's 45 rounds x 2.5 Billion?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 09:37 AM

Maybe it's just me but this just made me lmfao
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
What's 45 rounds x 2.5 Billion?
112.5 billion rounds! That's a lot of rounds! Have we clarified what sort of weapon BadKosh is using here? I watched this movie once where the gun barrel got too hot when you shot a lot of rounds! Don't know if they shot more than 112 billion first though! Ha ha!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 09:41 AM

When he comes back and explains he meant .45 calibre, we should come up with some bullshit about how that's what we meant too, and he was just misinterpreting our posts.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 10:04 AM

I'm already on it - 112.5 billion calibre rounds!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 03:06 PM

London:

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 03:08 PM

Who here's with me!?
Let's just develop an alternative to buying their oil and let them collapse on their own. Once we don't need their oil, what are they going to start selling? Sand?

Then, with no money, and no influence, they can revert back to a state of waring tribes with swords and get their wish of reviving the 13th century.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Let's just develop an alternative to buying their oil and let them collapse on their own. Once we don't need their oil, what are they going to start selling? Sand?

Then, with no money, and no influence, they can revert back to a state of waring tribes with swords and get their wish of reviving the 13th century.
Agreed. Except that the West, during the 13th century, was far more civilized than the M.E. is now. With chivalry and all that good stuff.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
112.5 billion rounds! That's a lot of rounds! Have we clarified what sort of weapon BadKosh is using here? I watched this movie once where the gun barrel got too hot when you shot a lot of rounds! Don't know if they shot more than 112 billion first though! Ha ha!
Will have to factor in time as well. Honestly the best weapon would be a knife. Just not possible to carry 112 billion rounds. Besides its much better up close and personal. So lets say you can do in one Muslim every 30 seconds. 2.5 Billion Muslims divided by 30 is 83333333 30 seconds, divide by half for minutes 41666666.5, divide by 60 for hours leaving us 694444 hours. Assume he only gets 4 hours of sleep every day it will take him 34722 days to complete this task or 95 years and this is assuming I made no calculation mistakes. Now the question is how many knifes will he go through because there is no way a single knife could handle 2.5 Billion uses. I think I established bang for buck the knife being a better value though which was the point. But we should factor in another 1 billion people because during these 95 years they will continue to breed of course raising the population. In fact it could be never ending as the birth rate could be as high as the slaughter rate always leaving the same number of people. This could take a much longer time then.

Please note this post is all in good fun and humor no ill intentions are really directed to any Muslims.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Agreed. Except that the West, during the 13th century, was far more civilized than the M.E. is now. With chivalry and all that good stuff.
Um... NO

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2011, 04:08 PM

Um... NO
ummmm ... YA.

Everyone was Prince Charming in 13C. Haven't you watched any Disney?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
ummmm ... YA.

Everyone was Prince Charming in 13C. Haven't you watched any Disney?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic...edieval_Europe

not going to bother posting all the contributions the Muslim world made to Europe during this time. But they where more technologically advanced, more educated and more sanitary then Europeans in the dark ages.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 04:28 PM

Will have to factor in time as well. Honestly the best weapon would be a knife. Just not possible to carry 112 billion rounds. Besides its much better up close and personal. So lets say you can do in one Muslim every 30 seconds. 2.5 Billion Muslims divided by 30 is 83333333 30 seconds, divide by half for minutes 41666666.5, divide by 60 for hours leaving us 694444 hours. Assume he only gets 4 hours of sleep every day it will take him 34722 days to complete this task or 95 years and this is assuming I made no calculation mistakes. Now the question is how many knifes will he go through because there is no way a single knife could handle 2.5 Billion uses. I think I established bang for buck the knife being a better value though which was the point. But we should factor in another 1 billion people because during these 95 years they will continue to breed of course raising the population. In fact it could be never ending as the birth rate could be as high as the slaughter rate always leaving the same number of people. This could take a much longer time then.

Please note this post is all in good fun and humor no ill intentions are really directed to any Muslims.

Wouldn't a sword be better than a knife since it has a bigger blade, and even better than both, the pen which is mightier than the sword?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 04:35 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic...edieval_Europe

not going to bother posting all the contributions the Muslim world made to Europe during this time. But they where more technologically advanced, more educated and more sanitary then Europeans in the dark ages.
Then this happened
Drawn into a religious conflict - Los Angeles Times
A split in philosophy

Whatever the religious sensitivities involved, reactions such as these may strike you as threateningly — even viciously — irrational. That's because they are, and there's a reason.

Back in the High Middle Ages, the three great monotheistic religions — Judaism, Christianity and Islam — reached one of those fundamental forks in the historical road. For centuries, a series of Islamic scholars had preserved the works of Aristotle that one day would lay the foundations for the secular logic and science that have made the modern world possible. Their "rediscovery" by medieval scholars provoked a crisis. They recognized that reason was a powerful tool, but were fearful that using it would undermine faith, which was the basis for authority in all three communities.

What to do — or, more precisely, how to think?

Three intellectual giants rose to the challenge. Two of them — the philosopher and jurist Abu al-Walid Ibn Rushd, known to the West as Averroes, and the great rabbi and physician Moses Maimonides — actually were contemporaries, both born in the Spanish city of Cordova. Tradition has it they even met and befriended each other while on the run from the Almohads, Islamic fundamentalists from the Maghreb, who had captured Andalusia and destroyed its storied culture of tolerance. The third was Thomas Aquinas — of whom his admiring coreligionists one day would say, "He led reason captive into the house of faith." Recall that this was an age in which the literate West, not unlike today's Islamists, still regarded theology as "the queen of the sciences."

Averroes' exposition of Aristotle was so widely admired and influential that when Aquinas took it up a century or so later at the University of Paris he referred to Aristotle simply as "the philosopher" and to Averroes as "the commentator." But while Maimonides and, later, Aquinas — who also read and admired the philosopher rabbi — held that there exists a single truth and that faith, properly understood, never can conflict with reason, Averroes took the other fork. He held that there were two truths — that of revelation and that of the natural world. There was no need to reconcile them because they were separate and distinct.

It was a form of intellectual suicide and cut off much of the Islamic world from the centuries of scientific and political progress that followed.
45/47

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Wouldn't a sword be better than a knife since it has a bigger blade, and even better than both, the pen which is mightier than the sword?
A sword is much heavier, after 20 hours of slaughtering I suspect the arms to fall off from being so tired.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 04:50 PM

Um... NO
No worries, with "West", he didn't mean Canuckistan.

-t

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2011, 08:29 PM

I thought he wasn't going to spike the ball.
( Last edited by Chongo; May 6, 2011 at 08:41 PM. )
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2011, 11:33 PM

Just wondering, are you a Christian?
Hell no, I'm a meat popsicle.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I thought he wasn't going to spike the ball.
???

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2011, 01:32 AM

What liberal would want to live in a Muslim country?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 7, 2011, 06:03 AM

Will have to factor in time as well. Honestly the best weapon would be a knife. Just not possible to carry 112 billion rounds. Besides its much better up close and personal. So lets say you can do in one Muslim every 30 seconds. 2.5 Billion Muslims divided by 30 is 83333333 30 seconds,
er no. Thats. 2.5billion multiplied by 30 not divided. One every 30 seconds means it would take you 1.25 billion minutes, or 2376 years.

Since we're talking war crimes here I guess it's probably better to move straight to some kind of gas.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2011, 06:37 AM

heh i was wondering if any one would actually catch that.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 08:12 AM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 11:35 AM

Hell no, I'm a meat popsicle.

Well that's good to know, not only because you need to live in a freezer, but because if I were a cartoon character and you said that you were, unless you were also BadKosh there would be this giant question mark over my head.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 11:36 AM

Where in the World is Bin Laden is available for viewing on Hulu, FWIW...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2011, 04:23 PM

The only "advantages" that the Muslim world had over the the West in the middle ages were simple algebra and pointed-arch windows. That's it. Pretty sad considering that was their "golden age."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 04:28 PM

Is it just me, or are there a couple of characters in here that seem a little like that embarrassing Uncle that ruins Thanksgiving dinners with their provocative comments that are just on the brink of some sort of family eruption?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2011, 05:28 PM

Along those lines, I wish this thread had turkey and gravy.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 05:31 PM

Well, it has turkey. You're a turkey.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 05:41 PM

Is it just me, or are there a couple of characters in here that seem a little like that embarrassing Uncle that ruins Thanksgiving dinners with their provocative comments that are just on the brink of some sort of family eruption?
No, that uncle is just you

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No, that uncle is just you

-t

You're a turkey too then.

Don't you hate it when people treat you like a piece of meat?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2011, 06:53 PM

The only "advantages" that the Muslim world had over the the West in the middle ages were simple algebra and pointed-arch windows. That's it. Pretty sad considering that was their "golden age."
Right. And the European Middle Ages were all King Arthur and faerie tales.

screener
Senior User
May 7, 2011, 07:02 PM

Even though I'll probably make an ass out myself, but I'll assume you're being sarcastic.
Middle Ages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
During the early Middle Ages and the Islamic Golden Age, Islamic philosophy, science, and technology were more advanced than in Western Europe. Islamic scholars both preserved and built upon earlier Ancient Greek and Roman traditions and added their own inventions and innovations. Islamic al-Andalus passed much of this on to Europe (see Islamic contributions to Medieval Europe).

At the same time, huge numbers of Greek and Arabic works on medicine and the sciences were translated and distributed throughout Europe.
You knew this, right?"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2011, 11:28 PM

You realize the assertion that started this was that modern day Islam is more backwards than middle ages Europe. It's an "extratemporal" comparison, not the comparison you're trying to make.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
Even though I'll probably make an ass out myself, but I'll assume you're being sarcastic.
Middle Ages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You knew this, right?"
Just in case you missed it
Drawn into a religious conflict - Los Angeles Times
A split in philosophy

Whatever the religious sensitivities involved, reactions such as these may strike you as threateningly — even viciously — irrational. That's because they are, and there's a reason.

Back in the High Middle Ages, the three great monotheistic religions — Judaism, Christianity and Islam — reached one of those fundamental forks in the historical road. For centuries, a series of Islamic scholars had preserved the works of Aristotle that one day would lay the foundations for the secular logic and science that have made the modern world possible. Their "rediscovery" by medieval scholars provoked a crisis. They recognized that reason was a powerful tool, but were fearful that using it would undermine faith, which was the basis for authority in all three communities.

What to do — or, more precisely, how to think?

Three intellectual giants rose to the challenge. Two of them — the philosopher and jurist Abu al-Walid Ibn Rushd, known to the West as Averroes, and the great rabbi and physician Moses Maimonides — actually were contemporaries, both born in the Spanish city of Cordova. Tradition has it they even met and befriended each other while on the run from the Almohads, Islamic fundamentalists from the Maghreb, who had captured Andalusia and destroyed its storied culture of tolerance. The third was Thomas Aquinas — of whom his admiring coreligionists one day would say, "He led reason captive into the house of faith." Recall that this was an age in which the literate West, not unlike today's Islamists, still regarded theology as "the queen of the sciences."

Averroes' exposition of Aristotle was so widely admired and influential that when Aquinas took it up a century or so later at the University of Paris he referred to Aristotle simply as "the philosopher" and to Averroes as "the commentator." But while Maimonides and, later, Aquinas — who also read and admired the philosopher rabbi — held that there exists a single truth and that faith, properly understood, never can conflict with reason, Averroes took the other fork. He held that there were two truths — that of revelation and that of the natural world. There was no need to reconcile them because they were separate and distinct.

It was a form of intellectual suicide and cut off much of the Islamic world from the centuries of scientific and political progress that followed.
This rejection of reason spelled the end of "Islam's Golden Age"
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules