Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Using iPhone in UK and France

Using iPhone in UK and France
phkc070408
May 2, 2011, 08:49 PM

We're traveling to the UK and to France, and I plan on buying a prepaid T-Mobile air-card, which I am 95% sure uses a Sim-Card. I was wondering if the T-Mobile Sim-Card in the UK will work in the USA AT&T iPhone. We would like to be able to use google maps and google earth while we are away from the hotel / city.

PS, does the AT&T Version of the iPhone even use a removable Sim-Card?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2011, 03:21 AM

The At&T iPhones have a removable SIM card, but are carrier-locked.

You can't use them on a different carrier without jailbreaking and unlocking.

If You're considering upgrading anyway, you could just buy an unlocked iPhone locally in Europe, use that with whatever SIM you want, and then use it on AT&T or any other GSM carrier back in the States.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2011, 06:17 AM

How much do unlocked iPhone 4s cost in Europe right now (approximately), SH?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2011, 07:16 AM

€629 and €739 in Germany - including 19% VAT.

P
May 3, 2011, 08:04 AM

Recently the UK store has had the best prices in Europe, as the pound has been dropping against other currencies. I was just going there to check the exact numbers and THE APPLE STORE IS DOWN!!!11one!

New iMacs right on schedule, I guess...Anyway, the UK iPhone was £499 when I bought mine that way, before Apple started selling unlocked models in the Swedish store. I think Apple increased that price slighly to compensate, but it was certainly less than €629.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2011, 08:18 AM

Thank you for the info.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amazing
Professional Poster
May 3, 2011, 11:57 AM

If you have a usable GSM phone with good battery life from a previous ATT contract, you should get that unlocked (no cost to you, ATT will give you the code to unlock it.) You can then buy a prepaid local GSM chip and use that phone to make and receive local calls. You won't have the smartphone capabilities, but you can use your iPhone on the hotel wifi to get the maps and info for the day. Requires some pre-planning.

Do the carriers in Europe sell pre-paid smartphone plans: how much data is included and how much do they cost?

Also, my understanding was that Apple made buying unlocked iPhones in the UK and France very difficult, in that you had to have a credit card that was from those countries? I don't what what they did when you had cash? Anybody have experience with this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules