Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Unlock iPhone 4 4.3.3 AT&T

Unlock iPhone 4 4.3.3 AT&T
phkc070408
May 15, 2011, 04:00 AM

We're traveling to the UK, and we borrowed an AT&T iPhone 4 that we would like to stick a Sim Card in that we will purchase over there.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I need to do the following steps:

1. Jailbreak it.
2. Unlock it.
3. Insert SIM Card and play.

I successfully Jail broke the phone.

How would I go about unlocking it? I heard about Ultrasn0w, but that only works on baseband 1.59.00, and the phone I'm using has 04.10.01

Any ideas?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2011, 06:06 AM

Yeah, that's a major problem. Apple's recent basebands appear to currently be impenetrable to the people who engineer software unlocks. For a short period of time someone had access to the iPhone unlock database and was able to add people to it for a steep fee, but that window has closed. It's too bad that the class action lawsuit against AT&T over handset locking policies was settled with an exception granted against iPhone owners in AT&T's favor to keep them locked.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
May 15, 2011, 03:15 PM

That version's baseband isn't unlockable. You'll have to look at something like gevy sim or rebelsim, or borrow/buy a factory unlocked model (like Canadian).

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2011, 10:26 PM

Duct-tape it to an unlocked dumb-phone with bluetooth. Keep it in pocket.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2011, 11:35 PM

Perhaps the better solution is to show up en masse at a corporate offices of AT&T with pitch forks and torches demanding that they unlock our post-contract iPhones like they should be obligated to do.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Perhaps the better solution is to show up en masse at a corporate offices of AT&T with pitch forks and torches demanding that they unlock our post-contract iPhones like they should be obligated to do.
What law?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2011, 11:44 PM

There's no law right now. It's one of the few areas where I'd like to see some government intervention into the free market. But ATT was almost forced to do it by a locked handset class action lawsuit that was unfortunately settled in a way that excluded the iPhone among all other types.

A class action lawsuit specifically over iPhone locking was given the go-ahead back last summer. I wonder if the recent Supreme Court ruling against class action lawsuits has had an impact on its status.

They should be obligated to do it if you've honored the terms of your contract or if you came in without a contract (by buying a phone unsubsidized). They have no legitimate reason to continue holding your hardware hostage if they don't have any ownership claim over it.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 17, 2011 at 11:57 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 12:00 PM

Has anyone ever successfully had AT&T unlock their old iPhone after its contract was up? Now that Apple is selling unlocked phones, maybe it's possible.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2011, 01:12 PM

I unlocked mine myself. I don't think AT&T will unlock it under any circumstance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules