Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft Office 2004: Is it worth the Price of the Upgrade?

Microsoft Office 2004: Is it worth the Price of the Upgrade?
Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 05:11 AM

I just downloaded the Test Drive. I can't see much difference between Microsoft 2004 and Office X. Is this just a few interface tweeks, or is this a real upgrade? Is it worth the price?
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 08:15 AM

Check out http://mactopia.com or back topic in macnn for the what is what and where with office 2004
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Timothy Maxwell:
I just downloaded the Test Drive. I can't see much difference between Microsoft 2004 and Office X. Is this just a few interface tweeks, or is this a real upgrade? Is it worth the price?
It depends on if you need all the new features. If you use Powerpoint the upgrade is worth it. If you use Entourage the upgrade is worth it. Word also had some compelling new features as well. I do like the scrapbook feature so you can use clippings between all the Office Apps.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Timothy Maxwell:
I bought it last week and IMHO, it is light years better than the last version. The speed alone is worth the price.

-Q-
May 24, 2004, 09:22 AM

I'm only being slightly facetious, but the fact I can now save documents with names longer than 32 characters is worth it to me.

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 24, 2004, 10:40 PM

I'm looking forward to the new graphics engine (or whatever) that they put in for unicode support. But not just for that - also so that I won't get documents that say they will print on one page from my mac but on 1 and a bit pages on a PC!

Excel v.X is the worst at this but the other way around. I could never understand why it would say only columns A-F would fit on the first page, when Excel XP would quite happily fit all the way to K! And yes, that was with the same page setup options .

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by velocitychannel:
The speed alone is worth the price.
Can you elaborate a bit? How much faster, and in what areas? I don't use Office much, but I'll always take a speed boost if there's one going...

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 25, 2004, 03:44 AM

I'm guessing / hoping that the speed-ups will be in scrolling - in general in Excel and with big documents in Word. Also hopefully the new graphics engine will get rid of the occasional stuff-ups in the display of text.

With any luck I'll find out soon - it is now shipping in NZ, I just have to wait to receive it from Microsoft!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by superblue:
Can you elaborate a bit? How much faster, and in what areas? I don't use Office much, but I'll always take a speed boost if there's one going...
Just loading the Office App in general is faster. It doesn't take as long and you don't see the spinning beach ball as often if at all when loading Word or the other apps.

dancrane2
May 25, 2004, 10:58 AM

It appears to be faster than Office X, it supports longer file names so you can use any files that your windows brothers and sisters use and not have to rename them, Entourage has exchange support, it appears to be more stable, the formatting toolbar goes translucent when not used after a short period of time. Overall, I would say, Yes...you should upgrade. I am glad that I did.
"Measure Twice, Cut Once....."
Daniel G. Crane II

faragbre967
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by dancrane2:
It appears to be faster than Office X, it supports longer file names so you can use any files that your windows brothers and sisters use and not have to rename them, Entourage has exchange support, it appears to be more stable, the formatting toolbar goes translucent when not used after a short period of time. Overall, I would say, Yes...you should upgrade. I am glad that I did.
Why does the toolbar go translucent? I noticed that, but it seems so useless.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 08:29 AM

Unicode supprot is worth the upgrade

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 26, 2004, 09:04 AM

The real answer to "is it worth the price of the upgrade" is No.

The other answers are from people that are trying to not feel so ripped off.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
The real answer to "is it worth the price of the upgrade" is No.

The other answers are from people that are trying to not feel so ripped off.
If it does what you need then no. But then again everyone could still be using 10.1 or 10.2 because it still does what most people need.

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 05:02 PM

One other thing that I would have liked to make it more 'worth it' is docked toolbars in Word, Excel and Powerpoint. I mean this is how they are done in Windows by default, although that's kind of a different story given that they're not attached to a single document.... Okay, I've just realised why that probably won't happen - I mean it's not as if they're going to give us that horrible situation of having Word open, fill the screen and then open documents inside that .

rickray1
May 27, 2004, 12:25 AM

Looks like I lost some emails when I upgraded.
Hmmmmm

Anyone else have this problem?
Drink PepsiOne ! It tastes GREAT!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 01:17 AM

It's definitely not worth it to me. Unicode support and long character names should have been there in v.X; I'm not shelling out more for that. There are plenty of other options available: NeoOffice/J, Mellel, Keynote, AppleWorks... There's nothing I really need Office for anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules