Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Daylite vs Now-Up-To-Date mgmt software help

Daylite vs Now-Up-To-Date mgmt software help
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 10:44 AM

I would appreciate hearing from some veterans using this kind of software and how you use it in your profession. I did a search in this forum and didn't get my questions answered.

I've got both trial versions going and it seems that the Now Up-to-Date is very similar to my Palm Pilot in keeping names, addresses, to dos, etc--fairly basic stuff. Daylite seems to be able to link people with projects, to dos, follow ups--it seems much deeper and more powerful.

I am not in sales, which Daylite seems more geared for tracking, but I do deal with organizations and individuals who have people working for them and I need to track conversations and meetings. So I need a program that can look up a person's name, glance at the recent activities that have taken place with this person, see who they are affiliated with and send them a letter/email/fax.

I need to be able to better remember where I am with various people and projects and following up.

So could anyone offer their input as to which of these prgrams is best for my needs? Am I mssing something on Now Up-to-Date? What are the biggest distinctions between the two? Is there another program you'd recommend?

I know that iCal and address book can link and manage info, time and people but I need something that allows for more details.

Also I just purchased Office 2004--haven't installed yet. But how does this factor in with my above issue?

thanks in advance for your help,

ClaraT

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2004, 03:24 AM

You've hit it right on the head.

Palm Desktop (and Address Book) is a Mac-based front-end to the Palm organizer scheme. Not much more. But that's all that it wants to be, so it's happy.

Daylite is much, much more. It does a really good job of doing what the Palm does (and there's even a conduit so that your Daylite contacts are sync'd to your Palm device. Daylite also tracks conversations, correspondence, meetings, and a cornucopia of business moments designed to drive sales. (I'm not a salesperson, but I was blown away by how well they've captured the process (as I understand it).) (Oh, I'm also not in the employ of the company, nor do I have any financial incentives to say nice things about Daylite.)

There are QuickTime movies of Daylite in action, and version 1.6 was recently released.

Based upon your questions and stated needs, Daylite will easily handle your needs [elegantly]. Enjoy.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Since EBCDIC:
You've hit it right on the head.

Palm Desktop (and Address Book) is a Mac-based front-end to the Palm organizer scheme. Not much more. But that's all that it wants to be, so it's happy.

Daylite is much, much more. It does a really good job of doing what the Palm does (and there's even a conduit so that your Daylite contacts are sync'd to your Palm device. Daylite also tracks conversations, correspondence, meetings, and a cornucopia of business moments designed to drive sales. (I'm not a salesperson, but I was blown away by how well they've captured the process (as I understand it).) (Oh, I'm also not in the employ of the company, nor do I have any financial incentives to say nice things about Daylite.)

There are QuickTime movies of Daylite in action, and version 1.6 was recently released.

Based upon your questions and stated needs, Daylite will easily handle your needs [elegantly]. Enjoy.

Great, just the confirmation I was looking for--thanks so much. Now I can get down to business and do business.

There's so much "stuff" to be had in the software dept. what with freeware and shareware--I could spend my time tasting and sampling as a full time occupation.

And, speaking of tasting and sampling--enjoy a lovely fresh salad with avacadoes somewhere overlooking the stunning beauty of the Bay for me. I miss those moments.

appreciatively,

clarat

Orion27
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 12:57 PM

I use DayLite on a daily basis. I'm in sales and does a great job of linking clients to projects and opportunities. I have not fully mined it's correspondence tracking abilities. I will mention, as part of Apple's Pro series of seminars at Apple Retail Stores, DayLite has been prominent.

Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 01:12 AM

I have used Now Contact for many years and can say that it is solid program that needs much updating. I am currently testing Daylite as a replacement and found that it is really a very robust contact management program. I do find some of its features very confusing though.

Overall, I think that it is better than Now Contact and easier to use that Office X. I am still testing Office 2004. The older version did not have enough command keys and that made it hard to use.

Anyway, I think that Daylite is probably the best program of its kind on both Mac and PC platforms.
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

Forenheit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 04:08 AM

I am a sales and found Daylite quite good "on the paper" (didn't try it for the moment --> still waitting for my PB 17" ).
I was wandering if Office 2004 for Mac has the "Business Contact Manager" (BCM) that came with Outlook 2003 on the PC version ? This BCM is quite good to track business opportunities and projects for SOHO.

holderlin
Jun 1, 2004, 09:50 AM

Is it possible to sync Daylite with PocketPC? Perhaps through Missing Sync?

Thanks,
Bob

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2004, 08:47 AM

ClairaT And, speaking of tasting and sampling--enjoy a lovely fresh salad with avacadoes somewhere overlooking the stunning beauty of the Bay for me. I miss those moments.

For you, I did. And a couple of cappuccino followed :-)

holderlin

I don't know. Why don't you give them a buzz? Their tech support guys were a pleasure when I called them. Oh, and let us know the answer.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules