Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Treo or iPhone • Which is Best?

Treo or iPhone • Which is Best?
Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2007, 08:09 AM

I am a mortgage banker with about 4,000 contacts on a Treo 700p. I am concerned about keeping up with many of those in my contact database and manage multiple activities during a normal day. Should I buy an iPhone or keep my Treo?
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2007, 08:57 AM

The iPhone's contact management is poor compared to the Treo. For instance, you cannot search a contact by typing in letters; rather, you have to scroll through a list (though you can jump directly to any letter to skip over contacts).

I have about 700-1000 contacts (depending on whether I've cleaned out my address book recently) and find the iPhone marginal compared to my Treo 750 and my Blackjack. If you need to carry all 4,000 contacts with you, you definitely do not want the iPhone.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2007, 01:05 PM

Are you using a Mac or a PC? I ditched my Treo for an iPhone because of how well the iPhone works with my Mac. After years of kludges and hacks, I now have a phone that just works with the data on my computer, so no more reloading contacts after a stray edit or two fails to sync up properly, and no more worrying about how accurate my calendar is.

Scrolling through names definitely takes more time than typing in a few letters, but I find myself able to use the nav on the left--the alphabet--to get me to the letter I want, and from there, it's pretty fast. We're talking about a difference of a few seconds, though I don't have any where near 4,000 contacts.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah, I don't even miss the Treo, since i got my iPhone last night.

Do you really stay in touch with 700 people? I would think the iPhone would be a deal-killer then. But, I wouldn't doubt that Apple eventually updates the software.

terryshaw09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 03:36 PM

You should probably stick with your Treo, iPhone takes a while to get used to anyway.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2007, 03:51 PM

On the plus side, Apple will likely see this problem and fix it with a software update. By the time they do that, you might be buying a 3G model with GPS.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by terryshaw09 View Post
You should probably stick with your Treo, iPhone takes a while to get used to anyway.
And the Treo didn't? I guess being built around an extremely outdated OS helps.

I think the iPhone is pretty intuitive, and once I got used to the keyboard--which took about three days--I have no problems getting around on the iPhone at all.

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2007, 11:56 PM

1. I agree that if you have a Mac, using the iPhone will be refreshingly easy to sync all things Apple.

2. I had a number of problems using Versa Mail with my Treo. Some accounts gave me problems sending out emails. No problems, so far, with Mail.

3. I, too, have about 600 contacts. I have created various groups in my address book and have few problems getting to the contacts I want quickly in my iPhone.
Mac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme 750GB HD 4GB RAM w/23"ACD;
G4 Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz 1GB RAM; iPhone 8GB

pcguy1
Oct 24, 2007, 08:06 AM

IMO
IPhone is much better as a music player, as a video player, as a web browser.

Treo is much better as a email/sms device, as a phone and anything that you have to use the kb quickly and often.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2007, 09:24 AM

Just so everyone knows, the OP said he had 4,000 contacts on his Treo 700p. I was the one with 700-1000. Just clarifying.

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2007, 12:24 PM

I think its the difference between business vs personal

I dont see the iphone as a business phone
if I were using it for that it would suck in this department

but as a personal device its great

my e61 nokia also gave me the option to type just a few letters to get to a contact quickly
but when I go biking i had to haul that AND my 60 gig ipod

Very annoying almost
probably almost as annoying as trying to scroll 4000 work contacts on a iphone

I for one would not like to find out
( Last edited by AppleJockey; Nov 4, 2007 at 08:33 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 12:32 PM

I think the Treo is ideal for you. The iPhone isn't really set up to be a hardcore business phone. While I know of people who use it for their small businesses, it's not refined enough at this point to be used like that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules