Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > All of a sudden, "error joining Airport network"

All of a sudden, "error joining Airport network"
josephmohan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2004, 08:19 PM

Here's the deal: yesterday I tried to join an 802.11b network that, previously, I had no problems joining. Now, I get the frustratingly uninformative "There was an error joining the Airport network "[network name]." I'm using a 12" PowerBook with an AirPort Extreme card. The WAP I'm trying to connect to is a Netgear router. However, I'm pretty sure the hardware isn't to blame; the connection worked perfectly a day ago, my brother's iBook can still connect, and I have the same problem trying to connect to other nearby networks. I can see networks in the AirPort menu, and programs like KisMac and MacStumbler see networks with no problem.

So, I'm thinking it's a software problem. I'm running 10.3.4, with Airport 3.4.2. A few of my more computer-adept friends looked at all the logs yesterday, and determined that there was a "lock" in place that shouldn't be... or something. I should have written down exactly what they said. Needless to say, I'm looking for a fix that won't require an OS reinstallation.

So, please help. I'm getting sick of this 4-foot ethernet cable. It's a poor replacement for wireless freedom.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2004, 11:44 PM

Are you using Keychain for automatic authentication to the WEP network? Can you blow away the key and re-enter it and re-add it to the Keychain? Seen it before, and this worked.

yodacai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by josephmohan:
Here's the deal: yesterday I tried to join an 802.11b network that, previously, I had no problems joining. Now, I get the frustratingly uninformative "There was an error joining the Airport network "[network name]." I'm using a 12" PowerBook with an AirPort Extreme card. The WAP I'm trying to connect to is a Netgear router. However, I'm pretty sure the hardware isn't to blame; the connection worked perfectly a day ago, my brother's iBook can still connect, and I have the same problem trying to connect to other nearby networks. I can see networks in the AirPort menu, and programs like KisMac and MacStumbler see networks with no problem.

So, I'm thinking it's a software problem. I'm running 10.3.4, with Airport 3.4.2. A few of my more computer-adept friends looked at all the logs yesterday, and determined that there was a "lock" in place that shouldn't be... or something. I should have written down exactly what they said. Needless to say, I'm looking for a fix that won't require an OS reinstallation.

So, please help. I'm getting sick of this 4-foot ethernet cable. It's a poor replacement for wireless freedom.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
I have had this happen to me as well. I find that logging out and logging back in normally solves the problem.
"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

t_hah
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 06:43 PM

I have seen this a few times as well. I just put the computer to sleep and then woke it up, it reconnected without a problem.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2004, 07:15 PM

I'd like to confirm what the others have said: logging out or rebooting, or even just waiting and then reconnecting to the network usually fixes it. In fact, just 5 minutes ago I couldn't connect to my network even though my sister in the next room could connect fine. It's an intermittent thing I get every few months or so, I have no idea what it is.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

MaxGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by josephmohan:
Here's the deal: yesterday I tried to join an 802.11b network that, previously, I had no problems joining. Now, I get the frustratingly uninformative "There was an error joining the Airport network "[network name]."
I had the same thing. Open the menubar Airport control, turn off the Airport, turn it back on and choose Other for the network (even though your regular network is showing). You will get a dialog asking for the network and password. Enter the name of your network and try each of the different password methods with the password until one works. You may have to try several times. Once you have done this the password should automatically connect for subsequent connections.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 09:33 PM

I'm having a similar issue where my iMac DV seems to "forget" what network it is supposed to connect to. I use an extreme base station and it is all working great, we just moved, but here is the problem... EVERY time I reboot, the computer goes to sleep, or I log out/in, the darned thing does not know what network to log into and tries to grab someone's wireless network's discoverable ColoradoCOnnection (that's how they named it :) name and so I have to type in my network name (which is not discoverable) and password to connect to "other" network from the internet connection manager or whatever...

It puzzles me more than I can explain because I do the same thing on my 17" pb with NO loss of memory, always connects to whatever is available whether it be here at home, on the road, whatever. I have set the airport config under control panel to "by default always connect to", have tried "any available", etc., have tried wiping the keychain entries, nothing seems to work? Any advice?

Rey :)

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Stingrey:
I'm having a similar issue where my iMac DV seems to "forget" what network it is supposed to connect to. I use an extreme base station and it is all working great, we just moved, but here is the problem... EVERY time I reboot, the computer goes to sleep, or I log out/in, the darned thing does not know what network to log into and tries to grab someone's wireless network's discoverable ColoradoCOnnection (that's how they named it name and so I have to type in my network name (which is not discoverable) and password to connect to "other" network from the internet connection manager or whatever...

It puzzles me more than I can explain because I do the same thing on my 17" pb with NO loss of memory, always connects to whatever is available whether it be here at home, on the road, whatever. I have set the airport config under control panel to "by default always connect to", have tried "any available", etc., have tried wiping the keychain entries, nothing seems to work? Any advice?

Rey
I am having the same problem with one of my macs. It is the darndest thing. My girlfriends iBook doesn't want to keep the settings, but my powerbook functions fine.

yodacai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 01:46 AM

I am reading that this problem seems to be more common in the 10.3.5 update. Hopefully Apple develops a fix for it.
"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

Nacente
Aug 26, 2004, 09:52 AM

Happens sometimes.
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 11:30 PM

This problem just started happening to me today. The only difference in my setup is that I have an external monitor hooked-up to an iBook.

I tried the logging in/logging out solution, and the choosing "Other" thing, and I was able to connect to my network once. I had since shut down my iBook. After the restart, I can't even connect via the "other" method.

Both of my networks, one of which is completely open, show up in my AirPort network choices. And I've rebooted the network a bunch of times.

This totally sucks.

Chito
Senior User
Jan 23, 2005, 12:47 AM

Same problem here. 10.3.7 and G3 iBook. I just unplug my Netgear router and plug it back in...problem gone for a couple of months or so...then it comes back.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

robbie stogs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 12:03 PM

Argh. Im having the same problem right now. The Airport extreme is in the same place it used to be. We just moved the cable modem upstairs and now its sitting right next to the airport. We have a PC and my Powerbook connected with awesome signal, but my moms Imac (new flat screen ones) just suddenly decided to have barely any signal. Sometimes it will have 2 bars, then suddenly drop to 1, then say "Could not connect to .." I have restarted, unplugged and plugged the airport, i took out the airport card and then reinstalled. I am about to try re-typing the network like noted above, otherwise this is a bunch of crap!

-Rob

Thanks for your help.
im a n00b

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2005, 08:15 PM

Looks like plenty of people have been having this problem recently. and it seems like it may have been caused by a recent Airport software and/or firmware update.

So far, the only solution looks to be...
Since I trashed my airport and network preferences, the problem hasn't returned for me. I scoured my computer for airport and network preferences including...

all users ->library ->preferences
HD->library->preferences

Deleted them, along with any keychain items, and set it up again. The problem is gone.
You know, I've always been a proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My networks were working like clockwork. I went against my own mantra, however, and performed the update.

I guess I'll try the solution above (it's also posted in that link I provided), because currently, my iBook's Airport situation is unusable.

astrashe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2005, 01:50 PM

I'm a new and very clueless Apple user, trying to learn the system with an older iMac. I have a 500MHz G3 with 256MB of RAM. I installed OS 10.1, which came with the machine, and then upgraded to 10.3.

The guy who gave me this machine got rid of it because of this wireless networking problem. One day it just stopped working. I've tried it with three different base stations (all linksys), and none of them work. I've also wiped it off and reinstalled the OS a couple of times. And tried two different Airport cards. It doesn't even see the network. I turned on SSID broadcasting, as well as encryption, without any success.

The system says that the card is here and working, but it just doesn't work.

Does anyone have any hints for me?

Except for this problem, I'm very impressed with the Mac, and I'd like to keep going with it.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by astrashe:
I'm a new and very clueless Apple user, trying to learn the system with an older iMac. I have a 500MHz G3 with 256MB of RAM. I installed OS 10.1, which came with the machine, and then upgraded to 10.3.

The guy who gave me this machine got rid of it because of this wireless networking problem. One day it just stopped working. I've tried it with three different base stations (all linksys), and none of them work. I've also wiped it off and reinstalled the OS a couple of times. And tried two different Airport cards. It doesn't even see the network. I turned on SSID broadcasting, as well as encryption, without any success.

The system says that the card is here and working, but it just doesn't work.

Does anyone have any hints for me?

Except for this problem, I'm very impressed with the Mac, and I'd like to keep going with it.
Sounds to me like the port is just bad. If you've tried it with two differnet cards (that you know work) on a network you know works, and you've done a clean install, I'd say probably bad hardware on the airport slot.

My problems is, I can't even ping the router. I can see it (it shows up twice in MacStumbler) and connect to it, according to Network Preferences, but I can't ping the stupid thing. From the other end, they can see my mac address, shows its connected, but again, can't ping my machine.

astrashe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Sounds to me like the port is just bad. If you've tried it with two differnet cards (that you know work) on a network you know works, and you've done a clean install, I'd say probably bad hardware on the airport slot.
I'm even more clueless than I thought I was. The problem is that I didn't have the antenna cord plugged into the card. I just assumed the thing was self contained, like a PCMCIA card.

So I'm sorry to have whined about it here...

My problems is, I can't even ping the router. I can see it (it shows up twice in MacStumbler) and connect to it, according to Network Preferences, but I can't ping the stupid thing. From the other end, they can see my mac address, shows its connected, but again, can't ping my machine. [/B]
I wish I knew enough to help you out. On other systems (ie., linux), I've seen behavior like that when the password is bad or the router has mac address filtering turned on.

Here the cable company sets people up with wireless networks for an extra fee, my neighbors have one. While the network appears to be open to netstumbler, you can't connect. I assume they have some sort of mac address filtering going on, but I don't know.

(Mac addresses being the hardcoded numerical address of the network adapter, and not anything specific to macintosh, of course.)

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 02:06 AM

my problem was solved my giving me a static address, and manually configuring my network. I was in the MAC address filter, so that wasn't a problem. His router was MAC compatible (har har).

Glad you got yours solved.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Looks like plenty of people have been having this problem recently. and it seems like it may have been caused by a recent Airport software and/or firmware update.

So far, the only solution looks to be...
quote:
Since I trashed my airport and network preferences, the problem hasn't returned for me. I scoured my computer for airport and network preferences including...

all users ->library ->preferences
HD->library->preferences

Deleted them, along with any keychain items, and set it up again. The problem is gone.
:bump:

I'm bumping this thread because I've had this problem for a week and this solved it.

For all those in a similar situation, this thread should be kept alive. The beauty of MacNN.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

DavidNChin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 03:37 AM

I too have been getting the dreaded "error connecting to the airport network ..." intermittently. Sometimes it would connect automatically after waking from sleeping and sometimes I would have to select the network multiple times before it would connect. I tried deleting the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist file, but that didn't work. I checked my signal with MacStumbler and my wireless router was typically in the low 90s for signal with noise in the low 50s, which should be fine. Finally, I tried a manual IP address on my Mac G4 combined with a static DHCP address on my D-Link wireless router. Now it connects every time! In all cases, I used Mac address filtering and 128-bit WEP on my router. My Windows laptop connects fine every time with the same security settings. So the problem seems to be related to the DHCP implementation on the Mac.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 12, 2005, 09:20 AM

What is a "static DHCP address?" The "D" in DHCP stands for "DYNAMIC"-it means that the server will assign addresses as required. Are you saying that you set a manual (and fixed) IP for your Mac? What did you do to the router?

Actually, the Mac's DHCP implementation is more "standards compliant" than Windows' implementation. It's just that many networking vendors like to take advantage of Windows' quirks as a shortcut.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

DavidNChin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 09:16 PM

Yes, static DHCP is pretty much an oxymoron (I would never have chosen those terms -- they're D-Link's terminology). Here's how D-Link describes it: "Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP address to specific MAC address." I suppose it means that the router will still dynamically assign a free IP address to any DHCP clients whose MAC address is not listed in the Static DHCP Client List. Regardless of whose fault it is, one problem leading to the dreaded error connecting to the airport network ..." seems to be in the interface between D-Link's DHCP server and the OS X 10.4's DHCP client.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 15, 2005, 06:33 AM

Ok, that sort of makes sense, though most DHCP servers will manage to assign the same IP to a given MAC as long as that MAC hasn't been disconnected from the network for too terribly long.

I can see a few problems with something that sits on top of the DHCP logic and does other stuff beyond what the standard calls for, and that could definitely mess things up for you.

Much of the time, reconnecting after sleep problems can be corrected by simply manually disconnecting and then reconnecting-this IS an Apple problem, as the AirPort card firmware doesn't take sleep states into account in at least some versions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

DavidNChin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 12:25 AM

I just installed the Mac OS X Update 10.4.3 and all problems with DHCP after sleeping or turning off airport have dissapeared! No more "error connecting to the airport network ..." messages. No need for static IP addresses either. I believe Apple has finally fixed the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules