Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Call of Duty now shipping.

Call of Duty now shipping.
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2004, 12:10 PM

Looks like Aspyr just shipped Call of Duty. Yay!

I have heard a lot about the game myself, but have never had the opportunity to play it. But if the game play is as good as the reviews are, I can see myself picking up a copy.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 02:15 PM

Buy this game now . It really is that good. Easily the best WW2 FPS game ever. So much makes the game up, the graphics, atmosphere.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 03:11 PM

Demo will be out soon.. Hopefully it'll runs ok on my computer

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2004, 03:23 PM

I was just about to say: I want to see a demo first. If I had a PC, there would be little doubt about the performance of the game, so I could probably buy it with some level of confidence. Game performance on Macs is a little more hit and miss. Even when they should run like butter, they run like rocks.

I'm not paying $50 for rocks.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:02 PM

Cool.

-Owl

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:04 PM

Wow, it needs a DVD drive to install...

System Requirements:
Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later

PowerPC G4/G5, 867 MHz or faster

256MB of RAM

1.4 GB free disk space

3D Graphics Acceleration required (ATI Radeon 7500/nVidia GeForce 2 or better)

32MB of Video Ram (VRAM)

DVD drive required to install and play

Multiplayer Requirements:
Internet and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported

Internet play requires a 56Kbps or faster connection
-Owl

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 04:11 PM

There aren't many 867 MHz+ Macs w/o DVD drives
Be happy.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
There aren't many 867 MHz+ Macs w/o DVD drives
heh, I guess so.

-Owl

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:31 PM

Buy this game, one of the best FPS yet.
we don't have time to stop for gas

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Wow, it needs a DVD drive to install...
IMO this is long past due. On games like this, it is much better to have 1 DVD than 2-4 CDs

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
IMO this is long past due. On games like this, it is much better to have 1 DVD than 2-4 CDs
I think pirating issues are why many games companies go for multiple CDs... harder to download that way.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
I think pirating issues are why many games companies go for multiple CDs... harder to download that way.

-Ryan
That is one of the reasons, but it's also cheaper to manufacture one DVD than 2+ CDs. Of course it'd be nice if the DVDs had drag and drop installers. Those are the best kind.

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 08:48 PM

Was this more than 1 CD on the PC? I honestly don't remember

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 08:56 PM

Did they change the minimum requirements? For some reason I was thinking the pre-release stated at least a 1GHz was a requirement.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Did they change the minimum requirements? For some reason I was thinking the pre-release stated at least a 1GHz was a requirement.
I think I recall reading that too...

Oh well, neither an 867MHz or 1GHz G4 will be enough to run this game smoothly I am guessing.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Squozen
May 10, 2004, 09:36 PM

It's just a modified Quake 3 engine, I don't see how it's going to be a problem for a reasonable G4 system with a graphic card young enough to remember how to party.

I've never played the game, but a friend recommends it highly. I can't wait for the demo. I actually nearly pre-ordered it yesterday but thought that waiting for the demo would be a better idea. My credit card isn't looking so good right now.

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Squozen:
It's just a modified Quake 3 engine, I don't see how it's going to be a problem for a reasonable G4 system with a graphic card young enough to remember how to party.

I've never played the game, but a friend recommends it highly. I can't wait for the demo. I actually nearly pre-ordered it yesterday but thought that waiting for the demo would be a better idea. My credit card isn't looking so good right now.
It's not "just" a modified Q3 engine. It's been very heavily modified. It's based off of the RtCW branch of Quake 3 engines but the renderer has been completely rewritten to be able to take better advantage of video hardware to push more polygons. Plus it uses pixel shaders for water effects. And the AI... I don't think the Q3 or even RtCW AI would suffice for CoD Any new mods they make to the engine usually requires a bit more CPU time (aside from the renderer mod).

That being said, a single player demo (not sure which one) will eventually be made available. It's in Activition's hands at the moment for approvals... but E3 is this week so there's no way to tell what type of resources if any they're going to put toward the Mac demo. But once it's released, people will be able to see how well the game will run on various hardware.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
at one point the low end of preliminary requirements was a G3 700MHz

dole
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Maneki Neko:
Was this more than 1 CD on the PC? I honestly don't remember
The PC version is 2 CDs. It requires the CD to be in the drive for the single player mission but is not needed for Multiplayer.

Turias
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 09:55 AM

Great game. Good to hear that this has finally made it's way over (as long as their is cross-platform multiplayer capability).

Squozen
May 11, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
It's not "just" a modified Q3 engine. It's been very heavily modified. It's based off of the RtCW branch of Quake 3 engines but the renderer has been completely rewritten to be able to take better advantage of video hardware to push more polygons. Plus it uses pixel shaders for water effects. And the AI... I don't think the Q3 or even RtCW AI would suffice for CoD Any new mods they make to the engine usually requires a bit more CPU time (aside from the renderer mod).
I stand corrected, but I was told by my PC-owning friends that it performed very well on older hardware, so hopefully the rest of my comment still stands. The demo will answer all questions, I guess.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2004, 12:15 AM

Has anybody been informed that their pro-ordered copy has shipped? I noticed CompUSA still doesn't have them in stock.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

a2daj
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 01:47 AM

Some ChumpUSAs have them in stock but not the ones near me IMG shipped their copies out. Some people in their forums played it some tonight.

geekwagon
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 04:01 AM

Got my copy at CompUSA today. Played it non-stop through to the dang British airfield mission. I had one crash when I launched it the first time, but its been fine since.. Performance is good but I am playing on a dual-2ghz/9800 pro so I would hope it would be Definitely better than the Athlon1800+/8500 that I usually play it on. I have found that a fast computer gives you an advantage in MP, because whoever manages to load up the level fastest gets their first choice of weapons (there's only a few of the better weapons available and it is first-come-first-serve.)

We play COD at work a lot (after-hours lanparties) so I am really glad it supports cross-platform networking. According to a forum post over at insidemacgames.com it is based on 1.3, hopefully 1.4 + PunkBuster will be coming soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules