Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help: Installing optical drive in 2nd bay of MDD - size issue with metal back panel

Help: Installing optical drive in 2nd bay of MDD - size issue with metal back panel
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2004, 07:32 PM

Okay, I'd like to put a drive in the second drive bay on a Mirrored Drive Doors G4. The drive in question is a SuperDrive that came from an old Digital Audio G4 (the last one with the graphite case). It needs to replace the SuperDrive that used to be in the MDD (long story). Anyway, I can put the thing in the bottom optical bay, but there's a problem - there's a metal panel that needs to slide over the drives, cables, etc., and the SuperDrive I'm wanting to put in there is longer than the stock drive, so it sticks out a little more in the back, and with the cables and everything plugged in, it would be impossible to slide that metal panel back on.

Here's a picture of the back panel, so you can see what I'm talking about (stolen from Apple's documentation):

I could probably get everything to fit and the machine to close if I left off the metal slide cover on the back, so my question is: is that panel necessary? What is its purpose (the older G4s don't seem to have it), and will I risk damaging/overheating/doing nasty things to the machine if I connect the SuperDrive and just leave out the metal back panel? Or is it just there to make things look nicer?

Thanks,
Charles

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2004, 10:23 PM

Even with the image I'm having a hard time visualizing your problem. Are you saying that the drive is too long to fit in the slot and so it sticks out in the back? Is it puched far enough forwards (making sure to remove the front bezel so it fits through the curved opening). Every optical drive I have seen fits into the slot without a problem so I would check and make sure any screws are in the right holes and that the drive is as far forwards as it can be. Then of course report back here, and if you can with a pic of your specific issue.

jasonv1
Sep 25, 2004, 10:42 PM

The G3 B@W's had a panel similar to that one.

AFAIK, it is there to help prevent interference between the power supply and optical drives. There may be a secondary reason such as minimizing airflow INPUT from the optical drive bay, but I think interference is the number one reason for that plate.

You can probably leave it off, but I would keep an eye on he performance of your optical drives.

Jason

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Okay, I'd like to put a drive in the second drive bay on a Mirrored Drive Doors G4. The drive in question is a SuperDrive that came from an old Digital Audio G4 (the last one with the graphite case). It needs to replace the SuperDrive that used to be in the MDD (long story). Anyway, I can put the thing in the bottom optical bay, but there's a problem - there's a metal panel that needs to slide over the drives, cables, etc., and the SuperDrive I'm wanting to put in there is longer than the stock drive, so it sticks out a little more in the back, and with the cables and everything plugged in, it would be impossible to slide that metal panel back on.

Here's a picture of the back panel, so you can see what I'm talking about (stolen from Apple's documentation):

I could probably get everything to fit and the machine to close if I left off the metal slide cover on the back, so my question is: is that panel necessary? What is its purpose (the older G4s don't seem to have it), and will I risk damaging/overheating/doing nasty things to the machine if I connect the SuperDrive and just leave out the metal back panel? Or is it just there to make things look nicer?

Thanks,
Charles
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2004, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by SSharon:
Even with the image I'm having a hard time visualizing your problem. Are you saying that the drive is too long to fit in the slot and so it sticks out in the back? Is it puched far enough forwards (making sure to remove the front bezel so it fits through the curved opening). Every optical drive I have seen fits into the slot without a problem so I would check and make sure any screws are in the right holes and that the drive is as far forwards as it can be. Then of course report back here, and if you can with a pic of your specific issue.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. There's only one place to put the screws, and the drive sticks out the back. It would be possible to slide the metal panel over the back... as long as no cables were plugged into the back of the drive! When the cables are plugged in, they are in the way and it is impossible.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by jasonv1:
The G3 B@W's had a panel similar to that one.

AFAIK, it is there to help prevent interference between the power supply and optical drives. There may be a secondary reason such as minimizing airflow INPUT from the optical drive bay, but I think interference is the number one reason for that plate.

You can probably leave it off, but I would keep an eye on he performance of your optical drives.

Jason

Yep. I had this same issue when I replaced the CDrom with a CDRW in my smurf box, so I left the plate off, and have never seen any ill effects from it . That was over 3 years ago....
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

jasonv1
Sep 26, 2004, 07:07 PM

I figured it would do no harm, but it never hurts to insert my disclaimer. You never know what those stray RF waves are capable of.

Jason

Originally posted by bowwowman:
Yep. I had this same issue when I replaced the CDrom with a CDRW in my smurf box, so I left the plate off, and have never seen any ill effects from it . That was over 3 years ago....
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 06:11 AM

I took the plate off on my Dual 867 when putting in an extra drive.

To me it seems it is there to keep cable from touch ing hot surfaces... As along as all your cable are tied, and out of the way, I can see no probs taking it off.

I ran my machine for ages without the cover... no ill effects.

*usual disclaimer applies!*

Peace,

TPC

pdovinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 06:50 AM

CharlesS:

I installed a second DVD the second day I bought my MDD. Perfectly OK to leave that rear cover off.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2004, 05:33 PM

Thanks a lot, guys! I installed the DVD-RW in the machine and all seems to be working.

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 08:49 PM

I also had a superdrive (Pioneer 106) I had been using in a Digital Audio G4, and I wanted to install it in the bottom bay of a MDD G4. I also found it to be longer than the combo drive in the top bay, but by carefully manipulating the wires and with a minimum of force was able to reinstall the metal cover.

Everything seemed to be going great...until I tried to open the tray...it couldn't come out...the Pioneer tray was about 3/16" inch wider than the tray in the combo drive and it physically couldn't pass the rounded corners on the metal and plastic opening.

I removed the Pioneer drive...removed the Mirror Doors...and after carefully covering everything that could be damaged by shavings, I carefully filed and sanded the top rounded corners in the bottom bay until the two corners were square. I reinstalled the MD's and then the Pioneer drive.

I held my breath, tried the Option/Eject button and out the tray came. The Pioneer drive works perfectly and no one can see my handiwork.

You don't suppose Apple designed it that way on purpose to keep the Pioneer drive from being used instead of an Apple superdrive? Naaugh!

Matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules