Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard Server & Mac mini . . . Ouch

Snow Leopard Server & Mac mini . . . Ouch
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2009, 05:14 AM

Flashback: I had a dual 800 MHz G4 server running 10.5 Server. This is at my home, the server was acting as a file server plus dhcp server, router, mail server, light web server, netboot, etc. Then I got a Mac mini to replace the G4, so I could cut the power consumption of my setup by more than half, AND add media center to list of server tasks. 10.5 is Universal, so the drives went from my G4 to my 9400m mini without skipping a beat. Well it did skip one beat, eventually I had to spilt the mirrored raid, repartition one drive do GUID (from APM), then restore the remaining slice to the newly reformatted volume. Then erase the second volume and add is as a secondary to the first. That was only because some software updates don't like to run on an APM partition of they're on an Intel Mac.

Fast forward a few months.

I've been using my home server more and more to play video. 10.6 is supposed to use the video card for h264 decoding. So even though playing even HD video barely uses any CPU at all, I figured it would be a good time to upgrade to 10.6 Server. Then it would use even less CPU, plus I'd get a little snappiness.

Now the horror begins:

I'm not going to recount everything. But it was 48 hours of downtime, where every possible little thing that could go wrong, went wrong all at the same time. The short version is that the upgrade failed. So I restored from my Time Machine thinking I'd just try it again some other time. Turns out time machine doesn't backup your mail server. (THANKS FOR TELLING ME, APPLE) So then I figure I have everything ELSE backed up, and I still have all my mail on the clients. So then I reformat and do a clean install of Snow Leopard Server. Fail. Repeat. Fail. Repeat. Fail. <- more on that in a sec, but at this point, I'm deciding to just go back to 10.5 and be done with this "upgrade". But theres a problem, my 10.5.0 OS X Server disk won't boot this new Mac mini. Remember where this mini's drives came from? It was already on 10.5.6 or newer (forget) when they got put into this mini. So then I had to get an external drive, hook it up to my mac pro, install 10.5 on that, then netboot my mini off my macbook, and image the installed server over to the mini. Nightmare. But as of right now, I'm back on 10.5.8 and I've been running fast and stable for many hours now. So I believe the nightmare has ended.

But back to 10.6's problems . . .

The primary problem was this: My mini would connect to the cable modem and to my LAN. It would run fine for a few hours. Then it would drop it's DHCP IP. And it would not get it back. EVER. Reboot modem, reboot computer, delete interface, re-add interface, delete location, delete networking prefs. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING would get it back. It was like the computer freaked out and broke it's ability to connect as a DHCP client. The modem connects to an Apple USB Ethernet adapter, but even plugging directly into my modem, the ethernet port wouldn't grab an IP any more. With my macbook set up as a temporary DHCP server, the mini wouldn't get an ip from IT over ethernet. Other macs on the network did no problem. It was complete, unfixable DHCP failure. So I'd do another clean install, start over. Everything seemed good, but after an hour or so, suddenly the mini would drop it's IP and that was the end of that installation of OS X. Keep in mind the whole time this was happening, I could plug the USB ethernet adapter (thats connected to my modem) into my MacBook and it would get an ip in seconds. I even left the mini connected overnight while I slept, hoping it would straighten itself out by morning. Nope. Also, this happened under 10.6, then 10.6.2, then 10.6.1.

Now, I've been running 10.6 server on my MacBook Pro for a long time. I occasionally use it for DHCP Serving/Netboot Serving. It has always worked like a charm. So my theory at this point is that 10.6.2 Server seems to have some critical incompatibility with Mac minis. Which is a real ball buster considering the new Mac mini Server. I wonder if that new server has a slightly newer build of OS X Server on it.

So thats my story. I still want 10.6 on my home server, but now I'm kind of afraid of 10.6 server.

Heres another fun tidbit. My mini server is in one room, with it's keyboard, mouse, many connections to an external drive tower, modem, switch etc. But it's monitor is my television, thats in a different room. I've always used remote desktop to manage. But when the network itself is having problems. . . It's NOT fun when theres no easy way to move the TV or the Computer close to each other . . .

Old John
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2010, 09:50 PM

I'm in the same boat. A week ago I decided to get brave and replace my trusty router with my brand spankin new mini server. It ran for a week and then poof. The same problem you describe. It lost it's WAN IP address and would not renew it. It would detect the cable was present as the Network Preferences LED would go from red to yellow but that's all it will do now.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Old John
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2010, 09:49 PM

I got on the phone today with Apple Enterprise Support. After convincing him that I was using an Apple USB Ethernet adapter he proceeded to tell me that (as it says on their website) it only works with the MacBook Air. I explained that one of their Geniuses at the local Apple Store recommended this approach and he thought that was bad information.

I found a site that makes a shareware USB driver from Sustainable Softworks and tried installing that. It didn't work either.

The support guy recommended running with only the built in ethernet port. Since I wanted to use the mini as my router that kinda stunk. Discussing it with him a bit longer it would appear that I should be able to change my router (Linksys reprogrammed to DD-WRT) from gateway mode to router mode and that would allow me to point all my traffic to the mini and it could still do it's NAT routing. I'm not so sure yet. I don't remember NAT running without a valid, non-internal IP address.

More puzzles. With this server software we're not in Kansas any more.

-John

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2010, 08:19 PM

Welcome to the MacMini & Snow Leopard Server Fubar Fan Club. Just wait until you use Time Machine Services. Then your whole server will start hanging as it corrupts the user permissions on LDAP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules