Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you expect new iphone?

Do you expect new iphone?
Valetinea
Banned
Feb 22, 2013, 03:53 AM

It is rumored that Apple is planning to launch iPhone 5S with quad-core A7 processor. What do you think about it?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2013, 10:07 AM

I think the primary complaints that I see around here are more related to the iOS software, not the hardware. Although everyone seems to be craving a larger phone, the iPhone 5 is still incredibly small and light and amazing.

It's iOS people criticize, for better or worse.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2013, 12:53 PM

I really don't get this thing about bigger phones.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2013, 01:04 PM

Specs mean nothing, the experience everything.

I agree, Apple's hardware is second to none. They've just taken the eye off the ball as far as the OS is concerned. Hopefully, the recent changes, and firings, will help address that imbalance.

Speaking of hardware, has anybody seen the new HTC One? There's a worthy competitor for the iPhone right there. Stunning phone.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2013, 08:51 AM

I imagine we will see an iOS revamp courtesy of Sir Jony's last promotion but these things take time.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Me neither, some of those big Galaxy phones are just so darn hard to hold. But then the fact that we have the new term 'phablet' means to me that some folks really want a device they can view movies etc on, while still being able to make calls. Say those who can't afford a smart phone and a tablet, or who are frequently on the go, where lugging an iPad might be onerous. I wonder what the response would be if the iPad mini came with a phone option.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2013, 08:50 AM

In the UK, I have seen more than one offer where if you sign up for a contract with a Galaxy S3 phone, they give you a Galaxy tab to go with it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2013, 09:32 AM

As silly as it may sound, I think it's strongly related to hand size. I have small hands. I also prefer (have been trained by Apple) to use one-handed and do all input with my thumb. Even the 5 is a smidge too big for this. The 4 was pretty much the perfect form-factor for me ergonomically speaking.

Valetinea  (op)
Banned
Feb 26, 2013, 10:09 PM

In the UK, I have seen more than one offer where if you sign up for a contract with a Galaxy S3 phone, they give you a Galaxy tab to go with it.
Samsung is a strong rival to apple right now. to be frank, samsung galaxy S3 is pretty good.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I also prefer (have been trained by Apple) to use one-handed and do all input with my thumb. Even the 5 is a smidge too big for this. The 4 was pretty much the perfect form-factor for me ergonomically speaking.
This.

If I could have an iPhone 4S, but as slim as the iPhone 5, I'd be very happy.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2013, 10:25 PM

I went from a 4.7" Android phone to the iPhone 4S and the only thing I really didn't care for about screen size was you just had to scroll more in web pages, especially those that aren't mobile, and apps like Twitter. Having used the iPhone 5 a couple of times though, I think the added height really helps.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Valetinea View Post
Samsung is a strong rival to apple right now. to be frank, samsung galaxy S3 is pretty good.
So strong they have to give you two for the price of one.

Samsung is only making any kind of dent because they are cheap.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2013, 12:45 PM

Errrrr.....doesn't Samsung have something like over double the current smartphone marketshare of Apple?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2013, 12:49 PM

Samsung is only making any kind of dent because they are cheap.
Samsung is making a dent because their phones and tablets appeal to people. Personally I don't care much for the Touch-Viz interface they put on top of Android, but their hardware is ok.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Errrrr.....doesn't Samsung have something like over double the current smartphone marketshare of Apple?
No, Apple just pushed them to #2 in the last quarter (IIRC).

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2013, 12:53 PM

I had to make a choice between the iPad Mini and a Nexus 7 as an always-with-me ready to give a presentation at the drop of a hat device. In the end I went with the Nexus 32GB wireless Nexus. At the moment, it suits my personal needs better.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2013, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Samsung is making a dent because their phones and tablets appeal to people.
Yep. Because they're cheap.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2013, 10:26 AM

I'm not too worried about the next iPhone... I just want an iPad Mini with a retina display. I will buy one the day it comes out. I've been wanting an iPad for a long time - since day one in fact- but I always wanted it a bit smaller. I had my credit card ready for the mini but once I played with one - after using a retina iPhone 4 and now 5- I couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't retina. Almost like it was a downgrade. So that is what I'm waiting for.

P
Feb 28, 2013, 10:44 AM

Samsung's rise has many reasons.
  • They spend more than the rest of the business combined on advertising.
  • They are seen as a good counterweight to Apple by operators worried by Apple's rise.
  • They toe the line for network operators in a way that other Android manufacturers don't always do (case in point is HTC, which made a big promise last year about how all their phone would be rootable and saw sales through carriers collapse as a result).
  • The competition has been collapsing. Sony, Motorola and Nokia have all had problems for years and still don't seem to understand the new market, which left Samsung a huge opportunity.
  • Their build quality is never bad. It's not Apple quality, but it's never terrible.
  • They reclassified a lot of their feature phones as smartphones to inflate their numbers.

All in all, there is some fudging and some temporary factors, but it's not only that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2013, 11:39 AM

Google is worried about Samsung's rise - they've recently been asking for a bigger slice of the revenue pie generated by Android.
Thus the renewed urgency of releasing Nexus phones.

Valetinea  (op)
Banned
Mar 5, 2013, 05:28 AM

Besides, new iPhone, Samsung's Galaxy S4 is also hot these days. Which one would you like more?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2013, 08:29 AM

Errrr, neither have even been announced, what in the world are you talking about

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2013, 10:28 AM

The S4 will be launched this month, March 14th.

Supposedly quite the phone, but I really can't stand TouchViz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules