Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > need some help, im torn

need some help, im torn
ndtechie05
Jul 1, 2005, 01:40 AM

ok hey guys here's my dilema. im selling my powerbook on ebay cuz it was took big and i wanted to get someting smaller then a 17. i have a dual 2.0 g5 with 23 hd display im taking to college with me. i would also like to take a laptop with me. being as the G5 would be my main computer to use, i was debating getting a cheap pc laptop for college. what do you guys think?

-Brett
iMac 24" 2.8ghz C2Extreme 2gb 320gb
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz C2D Stock
Dual 450mhz G4 - 120gb HDD - 384mb Ram
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 08:16 AM

can you elaborate a bit more?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 08:43 AM

Why not get a 12" PB to complement the G5? Some fugly plastic PeeCee laptop next to it is no sight...

But, yes please, elaborate.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

ndtechie05  (op)
Jul 1, 2005, 12:22 PM

ok well being as the G5 will be my ain computer i would also like to have a laptop. i was considering getting a pc laptop incase i need to use a pc program for my major which is criminal justice. i also heard rumors of a powerbook revamp next week, we will see intel processors? i was looking at a dell or alienware
iMac 24" 2.8ghz C2Extreme 2gb 320gb
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz C2D Stock
Dual 450mhz G4 - 120gb HDD - 384mb Ram
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2005, 12:28 PM

Get a PowerBook 12 if you can afford one, if not an iBook 12.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2005, 07:54 PM

i also heard rumors of a powerbook revamp next week, we will see intel processors?
Don't count on the intel processors coming so soon. If I understood Jobs at the Keynote correctly, the "mactels" will be coming out in about 1-2 years. The pb upgrade will not be that big just yet.

Where did you hear or see these rumors? Don't get me wrong I am not doubting you; I am simply hoping you are correct. I just would like to see some hard evidence.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2005, 11:57 PM

Any changes to the laptop lineup next week will be powerpc-based -- in other words, just a speed bump.

I think a laptop is ideal for college -- if you have a G5, then an iBook PB is an ideal complement as it has maximum mobility with great battery life and durability. And it's close to the price of the cheapo windows machines.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2005, 06:50 AM

is there any specific software you need for criminal justice? talk to someone in your department and find out, then go and find out if this software, or something similar exists on the mac. chances are it will.

even though you'll be getting a desktop and a laptop, which of the two will you be using the most?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

cambro
Senior User
Jul 2, 2005, 09:40 AM

Personally l'd find it pain to have two plaforms to work on.

I also have a PMG5. Having an Apple laptop is great because I can use the airport on the PM to turn it into a wireless base station, sync my files on both machines seamlessly, and use the same software.

I would recommend using the proceeds from your 17" eBay sale and get a 12" iBook or PB.

jokarak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2005, 11:58 AM

You should definitely double check w/ people in the department to see whether there are specific windows only software that you might need to use (don't know if your major is related to law specifically, but I really doubt that you need something other than a good word processor - maybe something to sheperdize cases, but a lot of that can be done over the web). If you do not need windows, then go for a PB or iBook - possibly the 15" PB, which is big, but not too big, or the 14" iBook...I think that going from a 17" to a 12" might be too big of a change for someone who is used to the 17" screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules