Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > ATTN: Call of Duty Demo Available

ATTN: Call of Duty Demo Available
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2004, 11:44 AM

QUICK! GET YOUR DEMO OF COD RIGHT NOW!!!

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18195

Mine is downloading as I speak

Weezer
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 12:34 PM

yeesh, unstuffing it is taking longer than the actual download

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2004, 12:53 PM

I tried playing it...

It runs really nice on Normal graphics... but, when you die... it slows down to like 4 fps... it's really pathetic... is there a way to fix this?

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2004, 01:01 PM

Any multiplayer to speak of in the demo?
MacBook Pro

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 28, 2004, 01:57 PM

Thanks. Waited for it quite a long time.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2004, 04:47 PM

yay new gamie.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2004, 11:40 PM

That demo was way to short. Also, you can just blast your way through without bothering to wait behind fences. Medal of Honor was tougher.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 29, 2004, 05:36 AM

Then it must not do the game justice. Trust me, it's a very hard game on the more difficult settings.

I bought the game, but now I want to try the demo just to see why it seems so easy. Do you not get to choose the difficulty setting? Because bumping it up to one of the more difficult ones really adds to the game. On the easiest mode, you can just dash across where machine guns are firing because even if you get hit a few times, you can still live and there will probably be health packs waiting for you. On the harder ones, you have to really plan out your movements, and it involves a lot of quick saving. You take more damage and there are fewer and fewer health packs on the tougher levels (the hardest one has zero of them).

mac freak
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 09:46 AM

No multiplayer? Therefore, useless demo
Be happy.

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by mac freak:
No multiplayer? Therefore, useless demo
Well considering CoD is renowned for it's immersive single player experience, and has been hailed the greatest single player campaign of any pc game, and has received rave reviews for it's amazing AI and realistic approach to combat...

the pc demo didn't even have multiplayer grow up.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 29, 2004, 09:16 PM

Don't even try the demo on a G3 iBook. I was getting an average of 10 fps on my iBook G3 900MHz with 640MB of RAM. Guess I'll keep my PC after all and play the PC version.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2004, 10:44 PM

I bought the full game, and downloaded the Demo for kicks.

The Demo seems to run slower at the same settings I have for the full version. In other words, the full version runs better, so don't let the demo fool you if it lags a bit.

The demo level is also quite demanding graphically. It was one of the more laggy levels I've come across so far in the game.

I'm running COD happily on my G4 iMac 800mhz with 768 RAM and a 32mb vid card.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2004, 03:11 AM

I played the level on the demo, and then bought the game 30 minutes later. It's almost like an interactive Saving Private Ryan. Totally awesome.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 09:17 PM

The detail to the city in this demo is beautiful. For once I feel as though computer game graphics have gotten a bit better. And now I'm bloody addicted to it, so I'll have to go and buy it soon. Anyway, I highly recommend people givin' this game a whirl.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 12:06 AM

It proves the coders of Halo should stop smoking weed and remove that debug code and upgrade their crappy 5 year old graphics.
There are many young rightwing members on these forums proud to support Bush no matter what. If Bush is re-elected I'd like to see the look on these member's faces when they are drafted. Now watch this drive.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 02:55 AM

Oh yeah. This is a game that should run fine on basically any modern (>700 MHz) G4 with a 32 MB graphics card. That's about the opposite of Halo. The demo DOES run slower and not as smoothly as the full version, so keep that in mind. But it is definitely indicative of the style of combat that you encounter throughout the game. It's intense and it forces you to rely on cover, your teammates, flanking maneuvers, and fast, accurate aiming.

Also, I beat the game on Veteran (no health packs) last night. Took me a long time but it was awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules