Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Myst

Myst
Winnipeg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 09:43 PM

Has anyone tried Myst 4 yet?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 11:28 PM

Having skipped Myst III:Exile, I broke down and bought the limited edition which bundled III on DVD along with IV:Revelation.

III is on a single layer DVD and IV comes on two DVDs (one single layer, one dual layer); the full install of IV clocks in at 6.99GB...

Just settling in for a night of exploration...

Originally posted by Winnipeg:
Has anyone tried Myst 4 yet?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2004, 07:18 PM

Just got Myst IV the other day and played it all evening.

Very fun so far! I'm impressed with the advances Cyan/Ubisoft has made with the pre-rendered adventure game interface. I like how tactile and interactive it is. It also runs great and looks awesome on my 1.25GHz iMac.

The puzzles are great too. Restoring power to Atrus' lab was interesting, as was figuring out the combination for the hidden chamber.

I like the story too so far, picking up after the original Myst as it does.

Off-topic: If you enjoy the Myst games, I highly recommend picking up the three Myst novels (written by the same guys). I'm a picky reader, but they're quite well-written and interesting.

Post scriptum: If you want to read an interesting review of Myst IV, see Tycho's post at Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2004-10-8).
( Last edited by CaptainHaddock; Oct 9, 2004 at 07:24 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
Very fun so far! I'm impressed with the advances Cyan/Ubisoft has made with the pre-rendered adventure game interface. I like how tactile and interactive it is. It also runs great and looks awesome on my 1.25GHz iMac.
FYI Cyan had only a role in the story for Myst 3/4. They did none of the development.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2004, 11:04 AM

I've just ordered it, can't wait to get it! I'm currently playing Riven, damn that game is hard

how should Myst IV run on my imac 1GHz with 32vram?

I'll be getting my G5 imac soon so it shouldn't matter too much
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2004, 12:24 PM

I've also been working my way through. I think it's great - the gameplay is smooth and the scenes are breathtaking. I'm also really intrigued by the story.

My only complaint about it is that the game had to be owned by the user playing it. Or, at least that's what I found when I installed the game with my Administrator account and then tried to play with my normal user account.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:

I like the story too so far, picking up after the original Myst as it does.

So, if I haven't played Riven or Exile, I'll be able to figure out what's going on? That would be nice.

BTW, thanks for reporting back guys. I'm pretty interested in this game, but I was waiting for some gamer reports before buying it.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by eyadams:
...My only complaint about it is that the game had to be owned by the user playing it. Or, at least that's what I found when I installed the game with my Administrator account and then tried to play with my normal user account.
Same here. I wrote Ubisoft to see if there was any way to get the game to play for all users...like every other game I own. Their reply was, basically, "no."

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 09:38 PM

This may be news only to (and interest only) me, just just to pass it along...
It would seem that Myst IV and the Nvidia 6800 Ultra have minor issues. If you enable the 'Immersive Effects' on the graphics control panel, the game will crash. I was able to load and briefly play a previously saved game (started on my previous graphics card), but was unable to even start a new game. Disable 'Immersive Effects", and the game has been running just fine. Now, one would think that a card like the 6800 would smoke a game like Myst IV, but alas, it is not so.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules